homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Pardon me, Mr. Monarch, do you know what time it is?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pardon me, Mr. Monarch, do you know what time it is?
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2009 19:37      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if their antennae swing back and forth like pendulums?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8273069.stm

As smart as we humans think we are, "simpler" creatures often have some remarkable biological tech in place.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2009 09:47      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Ugh!

I saw that article and I admit it really fascinated me.

No offence, but one part of the research really bothered me. Cutting off the antennae. Yikes!

All I could think of is those butterflies screaming, I'm blind! I'm blind!

That part was kinda icky.

What do you think?

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2009 13:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The researchers must be french, they have a tradition of cutting bits off monarchs.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2009 16:40      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD, I have to admit that comment made me roll my eyes just a bit.

Mr. Geek, unfortunately invertebrates don't really get the same respect other research specimens do. With mice and larger vertebrates there are stringent guidelines that have to be followed. Honestly, even fish aren't really covered by many guidelines. From personal experience, no one comes in to look at our lab and make sure that our tarantulas are taken care of, are in good condition, and in proper containers. The bat lab, however, has inspections several times a year to make sure that lab specimens are happy and healthy and being are kept to the specifications of the guidelines.

Interesting lab fact, here in the states a fertilized fowl egg is not considered a living lab specimen until the chick is viable. So you can pretty much do whatever you want to it before the chick hatches. It's disturbing really. (one of my professors does research on embryonic chickens)

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 12:29      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I think about it, this removal of the antennae thing reminds me of an old joke about a scientist studying frogs. He was trying to determine how a frog's legs were related to its ability to jump.

So the scientist placed the frog on his lab bench and shouted, "Jump!". The frog complied with a leap of five feet.

Next the scientist cut off one of the frog's front legs. (See what I mean?) "Jump!" he commanded. The frog leapt four feet.

Then the scientist cut off the other front leg, and bade the frog to jump. This time the frog managed to jump three feet.

Now the scientist cut off one of the back legs. The frog managed to go forward about a foot.

Finally, the scientist cut off the last leg. "Jump!" he said. The frog didn't move. "Jump, I said!" repeated the scientist. Still the frog didn't move. The scientist leaned right down to the frog and shouted, "Jump, frog!" But the frog just sat there.

The scientist pulled out his pad and noted "after cutting off the fourth leg, the frog becomes deaf."

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture