homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Getcha science badges here!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getcha science badges here!
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2009 19:36      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea and a nice site, all it needs is some more stories now. So do any of our GC scientists fancy sharing your tales of horror or humiliation?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2009 22:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll bite because these are fun.

The “dodger of monkey shit” badge. Everyone who's ever been to grad school gets this one.

The “has frozen stuff just to see what happens” badge (LEVEL III)Cryocrystallography baby. No one takes data at room temp anymore. And, of course, once you've got all that liquid nitrogen, you, er, naturally need to see what happens when other stuff gets frozen...

The “I may look like a scientist but I’m actually also a ninja” badge, The “talking science” badge, The “destroyer of quackery” badge, The “I can be a prick when it comes to science” badge (though I control myself) and The “will gladly kick sexual harasser’s ass” badge. Fortunately, a cold glare and icy demeanor do the trick. It also helps to wear loose fitting shirts that hide the b00bies. When they can't see the b00bies, they have to talk to your face.

The “I’m pretty confident around an open flame” badge. Bunsen burners. Gotta love 'em. Keeping one burning while working with cells is old-fashioned aseptic technique.

The “worship me - I’ve published in Nature or Science” badge. [Cool]

The “I know what a tadpole is” badge. Everyone needs a badge that looks like sperm.

The “cloner” badge. You can't do modern molecular biology or biochemistry without subcloning a gene or gene fragment. It's sort of like trying to be a programmer without learning a programming language.

The “experienced with electrical shock” badge (LEVEL III). Leaking gel box. Constant 30W, >50 mA, >>100 V. My hand went fscking numb for hours.

The “science has forced me to seek medical attention” badge I splashed acrylamide solution in my face. After the 20 minute rinse, I got sent to student health with a MSDS in hand. 20 minutes of rinsing sucks. Use your safety glasses, mmkay?

The “I’ve set fire to stuff” badge (LEVEL IV). Vinyl gloves burn. I learned this the hard way.

The “works with acids” badge. Doesn't everyone?

The “what I do for science dictates my having to wash my hands before I use the toilet” badge. Wash before, wash after, anytime the gloves go on or off. That goes double if whatever you're working with is toxic. And I wonder why my hands fall apart in the winter...

The “I work with way too much radioactivity, and yet still no discernable superpowers yet” badge And now that I've moved on to my post-doc, I most likely never will. *sigh* The x-rays and isotopes were fun while they lasted though. I did learn that if you run a dosimeter through the wash it'll come back with an artificially high reading.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2009 23:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a complete list but the more interesting ones that apply to me.

The “pharma shill” badge
 -

The “cloner” badge.
 -

The “has done science whilst under the influence” badge.
 -

The “what I do for science dictates my having to wash my hands before I use the toilet” badge.
 -

The “have used a dental drill and I’ve never been a dentist” badge (well, i use equipment specifically designed only to be used by dentists)
 -

The “has frozen stuff just to see what happens” badge (LEVEL III, II, I)

I want my level IV, has worked with liquid helium badge!

-

The “destroyer of quackery” badge.
 -

The “inappropriate nocturnal use of lab equipment in the name of alternative science experimentation ” badge.
 -

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 06:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 06:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -  -  -  -

They need a level 4 for the electric shock badge, "Shocked so badly it knocked me unconscious and left scorch marks on the aparatus".

And yes, it was in a science lab.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 10:30      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The “I use twitter to spread science” badge. - mostly moaning about trips to the neutron source
The “science deprives me of my bed” badge (LEVEL II). - Aforementioned Neutron source
The “non-explainer” badge (LEVEL I) - parents read the thesis, but did not comprehend.
The “what I do for science dictates my having to wash my hands before I use the toilet” badge. - Occaisionally, but wet chemistry is nasty.
The “has done science whilst under the influence” badge. - mostly hungover to be fair, but also returning to labs late at night to turn stuff off or load and remove samples.
The “works with acids” badge. - obviously
The “working on alternative fuels” badge. - Methane reforming and Fischer-Tropsch synthesis. (GTL)
The “I’ve set fire to stuff” badge (LEVEL III). - Accidentally, but there you go.
The “experienced with electrical shock” badge (LEVEL III) - Haven't most people done dumb things with electricity?
The “I know what a tadpole is” badge.
The “has frozen stuff just to see what happens” badge (LEVEL III) - Should go one higher than liquid nitrogen. I was running samples cooled by liquid He last week (3K, -270 C)
The “I can be a prick when it comes to science” badge. - and will proclaim at length as to why the matrix is a stupid film.
The “my degree inadvertantly makes me competent in fixing household appliances” badge. - spent more time fixing and building equipment than using it.
The “inappropriate nocturnal use of lab equipment in the name of alternative science experimentation / communication” badge. - Did you know you can make fruit fizzy with dry ice? And making ice cream with liquid nitrogen is harder than you would imagine.
The “I’m pretty confident around an open flame” badge. - Not that we're really allowed to use them anymore.
The “talking science” badge.

Badge I refuse to add: The “I work with way too much radioactivity, and yet still no discernable superpowers yet” badge. - because I have to wear radiation monitors to ensure I don't get too much radiation!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 11:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I think about it, I should get a Setting fires Level III as well. Not that I meant to do that, mind - leaky gel box, went to lunch, came back, and yeah...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 11:28      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about a "one of my lab partners accidentally made chemical weapons and I survived" ?

oh, and a "My code has actually driven other coders mad" one [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 11:35      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
What about a "one of my lab partners accidentally made chemical weapons and I survived" ?

I've had co-workers refused chemicals, and one of my lab partners makes phosgene on purpose.
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 13:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. There should be one for "My labmate/partner almost sent me to the hospital" and vice versa. Bonus points if you almost took out your TA, or almost got taken out by a student. Anyone who DOESN'T deserve any one of those, raise a paw...

--------------------
- The Decemberists

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 13:49      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and badges for the most time wasted aligning optics, and the most expensive thing broken. Bonus points if it's a custom made piece.
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 13:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
and the most expensove thing broken.

5,000 USD new, used once by me, never to be used again. The specs specifically said that the thing could handle pH 10+ solutions. What they didn't mention is that it is a funtion of pH and the size of your basic molecule. Small bases eat the thing.

I mean I have damaged more expensive things, but they were able to be repaired.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 14:10      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there should be a series of laser badges, actually.
Level I) Own and operate a laser pointer
Level II) Used a machine that requires lasers
Level III) Built a machine that requires lasers
Level IV) Built a laser

Maybe throw in bonus points for power, class, and wavelength. I'd be at Level II. The dudes in the lab across from mine are Level IV, with bonus points for x-rays.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 15:17      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
and the most expensove thing broken.

5,000 USD new, used once by me, never to be used again. The specs specifically said that the thing could handle pH 10+ solutions. What they didn't mention is that it is a funtion of pH and the size of your basic molecule. Small bases eat the thing.

I mean I have damaged more expensive things, but they were able to be repaired.

Actually I took out a science lab once (by accident I should add) and without the use of anything exploding too.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 15:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How'd you do it then?

A couple years ago, one fine summer evening, a couple grad students in the molecular biology department were jacking around and throwing things and broke off a sprinkler head in their lab. They took out their lab, the lab below, and the lab below that. Somehow, they didn't get expelled. We heard about because our boss was on the right mailing list and he pinned it up for the lab to see. A reassurance that we weren't the biggest bunch of idiots on campus (though, as far as I know, the worst that our group had ever done was burn out a microcentrifuge).

I also saw a picture of what happens when you don't properly balance one of the big floor centrifuges. The ones with the rotors that hold six 1 L bottles. And another picture of what happens when you bust the top off a gas bottle. [Eek!] Keep your gas tanks strapped to the wall. Balance your centrifuge. The entire building will thank you.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2009 17:48      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
How'd you do it then?

Filling a beaker from the newly installed high pressure taps for a basic measure the temperature gradient as you heat it experiment. High pressure tap installed with slightly too high pressure, bottom blows out of beaker with force of water, top of tap then blows off, soaks air conditioning unit handily placed directly above, half of room and me with high pressure water before exam and lab are abandoned.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2009 11:50      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
speaking of lab accidents I burnt a hole in my lab coat and pants today w/ perchloric acid. Did notice till 4 hours later. no fleash would thuogh.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture