homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Whiffling goose!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whiffling goose!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 20, 2009 10:12      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason I find this so cool. A greylag goose was captured by wildlife photographer Brian McFarlane in a manoeuvre known as whiffling, where the bird flips upside down in order to rapidly lose altitude.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/goose-flies-upsidedown-14307709.html

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2009 11:03      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks unspeakably bizarre!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2009 14:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, geek geese.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2009 05:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ Hi All __ Since we have a full horizon view, minus a few degrees. We get to watch a lot of birds. A couple of years ago I pointed out two sparrows tormenting a hawk, eventually driving it away. Now the Mrs. thinks that sparrows are mean birds, I keep telling her that they are just trying to protect their own.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2009 19:19      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your wife is right, MoMan. Sparrows are mean. They have to be, since they aren't a natural part of the food chain. They're not native to the United States. Our park naturalists have told me many stories about how sparrows torment the native songbirds.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2009 20:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Sparrows... ...aren't a natural part of the food chain.

My cat would disagree.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2009 21:34      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
__________________ Hi All __ Since we have a full horizon view, minus a few degrees. We get to watch a lot of birds. A couple of years ago I pointed out two sparrows tormenting a hawk, eventually driving it away. Now the Mrs. thinks that sparrows are mean birds, I keep telling her that they are just trying to protect their own.

I've seen mockingbirds do the same thing during their nesting season, driving off crows and cats, and occasionally buzzing people. Can't say I think they are particularly mean, though. We always used to get a good laugh out of watching our cat run for cover when the mockingbirds were nesting. (it's not like we could do anything anyway: it is a sin to kill them, after all)

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2009 04:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ The Famous Druid __ Speaking about Cats. The real comedy was last year our cat (Muffin) was actually stalking a Sand Hill Crane. I am unsure what she would do if she came face to face with a bird of that size, I think it would have been fun to watch.

When I was a lad I watched the woods Owls get barn rats (after we put the dog in the barn the rats would run) there is no sound until the rat screams. My Uncle called putting the dog in the barn feeding the Owls, this was back before TV and we would be setting on the porch of the farm house, Uncle Chuck would say "time to feed the Owls, put the dog in the barn", we would have about ten minutes until the owls stopped swooping.
Watching an owl swoop or take off is good watching, they sort of lean forward and topple towards the ground about half way to the Earth they start opening their wings and glide to the target.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2009 19:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
__________________ The Famous Druid __ Speaking about Cats. The real comedy was last year our cat (Muffin) was actually stalking a Sand Hill Crane. I am unsure what she would do if she came face to face with a bird of that size, I think it would have been fun to watch.

When I was a kid, Clan McDruid had a pair of cats with attitude, they used to lie in wait for dogs passing our house, and ambush them. The sight of 2 cats chasing a german shepherd half way up the hill was hilarious.

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2009 09:59      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

When I was a kid, Clan McDruid had a pair of cats with attitude, they used to lie in wait for dogs passing our house, and ambush them. The sight of 2 cats chasing a german shepherd half way up the hill was hilarious.
We had a cat that chased our dog, but this cat takes the cake for treeing a bear twice, even though he'd been declawed.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2009 11:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple I know used to have a cat. This cat liked to take on coyotes. Apparently, in one incident, it looked like the coyote was wearing an angry black muzzle. After getting it's face all but clawed off, the coyote managed to free itself of the cat. And then, sadly, one day the coyotes got revenge. They had to tag team the cat, but they got him. :/

My aunt's cat catches lizards. My cat stalks and pounces the light from a laser pointer. And gets mighty confused when, after he's "caught" the red dot, it appears right on top of his paw!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture