homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Science Sites?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Science Sites?
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 11:27      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What good sites are there for general pop-sci news and developments? Any that do a consistent job providing well reported pieces?

I usually hit Scientific American, The New York Times, and the BBC.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 11:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried teh New Scientitz? (It R0xxz 4 da jobs'n artikels'n sh&t).

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 12:14      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think RSS feeds for the several big ines mentioned are what is best. Add space.com to your list.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 22:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Have you tried teh New Scientitz? (It R0xxz 4 da jobs'n artikels'n sh&t).

I used to agree, but recent experience has me doubting the reliability of NS stories.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 00:51      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of that when I saw Spungo's suggestion. Then I wondered if he was being facetious. It can be difficult to tell with Spungo.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 02:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That thought didn't occur to me at first, but now that you mention it, he probably was taking the piss.

Well done Spungo, you caught me fair and square. [Applause]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 03:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Scientist isn't really a bad site (or magazine, although it's quite overpriced). You just have to keep in mind that they don't have experts doing editorial or peer review of the articles. As a result, they do occasionally put out an article based on erroneous information. Once in a while someone from the lunatic fringe manages to sound just plausible enough that they can get something in there.

Just remember to always double check anything significant against other sources and that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If you do that, New Scientist is quite useful.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture