homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Wow .... just WOW !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wow .... just WOW !
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 23:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a look at this picture,
 -

decide what you think it is, then click on this link to find out.

Wow.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 00:32      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im on ur planets, pissin
Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 01:12      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to see the whole image, without the cropping and false colors.

In the full picture, it's a bit easier to see that the picture is of the side of a crater, not level ground...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 01:23      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 01:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
You may want to see the whole image, without the cropping and false colors.

In the full picture, it's a bit easier to see that the picture is of the side of a crater, not level ground...

When I first viewed the image you link to, I agreed with your analysis, now I'm not so sure.
It's clear from some of the other navigation camera images that it's a _very_ wide-angle (i.e. fish-eye) camera, which distorts perspective really badly. The view might be of a flat foreground, with the crater rim in the background, or it might not, it's hard to be sure.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 02:54      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent ages staring, trying to see a picture of a naked person or something.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 06:42      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perv. [Wink]

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 06:43      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry... I forgot to add the other bit of info that I had from here. Sol 285 isn't very descriptive of where the rover was, is it?

Sol details:
The plan for 285 was to drive 1.5 meters (about 5 feet) east on firm rocky terrain ahead of the rover. The drive went as planned, covering 1.55 meters (5.1 feet). After integrating the results of this drive with an earlier study of Burns Cliff traversability, the team decided not to proceed farther. Opportunity has reached the easternmost point of its drive inside Endurance Crater. The rover is at the western edge of Burns Cliff and from this vantage point, it will perform super-high resolution imaging and other science observation

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 21:49      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
I spent ages staring, trying to see a picture of a naked person or something.

quote:
Originally posted by fs:
Perv. [Wink]

Lol. [Big Grin]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 22:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this full panorama, it looks like Steen's right. [Frown]

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 00:21      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, so it's water on an angle? Or insanely bad reporting? Did anyone check the article date to make sure it wasn't 4/1?

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 04:46      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I found this full panorama, it looks like Steen's right. [Frown]

What made me look was the fact that, with the surface conditions on Mars, it's very unlikely to find liquid water on the surface. This story, which isn't as sensational, has unfortunately been overshadowed by the more attention grabbing 'puddles' story. Strong evidence that Mars was a much wetter planet in the past is a big deal because, while it may not support carbon based life now, it is possible that it may have in the past.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 05:20      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cliff or not, it's pretty cool. [thumbsup]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Ste
Geek Larva
Member # 8907

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 11, 2007 14:42      Profile for The Ste     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't know what it could be myself but my reaction was also a wow when I read the article. Next week; Mars attacks - truth or fiction? The following week. Jack Nickolsons toupee - Living or dead
Posts: 23 | From: dublin | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture