homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Nitrozac and I are moving west! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Nitrozac and I are moving west!
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 00:59      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cecil Adams!! I once used his column in a physics presentation. Yup, you guessed it: The Story of Schroedinger's Cat

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 05:25      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
That guy is so brain damaged, it's incredible.

[...]
Oh, and do you know any carpenters who cut to 1/3mm accuracy?

While I agree that the article was pretty rambling and brain damaged - I must confess that when woodworking I strive for 1/64" or better accuracy and often get at least 1/32" - (translated via google this is .397mm and .794mm) That's pretty close to your 1/3mm. Given that we can pretty easily see a 1/64" gap in a furniture joint, and easily feel a 1/128" height difference in a glue-up going for such accuracy is not unusual in fine carpentry.
Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 12:33      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Groovy piece about the failure of metric in everyday life:
http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/Metrication/metric_land.htm

Interesting, since I simply do not recognise most things there.

Recipes come with volume measurements in l or dl. There are still tsp and tbsps around, shorthand for 5 and 15 ml. The only recipes I know of that calls for cups are either foreign (read north america) or ancient (as in over a century old).

I'm no carpenter, but I recognise the usefullness of having lengths dividable by three. I guess that's why 60/90/120 cm lengths are quite common. Now, it would have been convenient if we had had a base 12 number system. But we don't, so metric is the logical conclusion.

The rant about how the gas laws don't work well at 0 Kelvin... Well... Not spending those physics class sniffing jam would probably have been a good idea.

For the UK:ians, hope it works out with more sensible sizes over time. It probably will. I'm sure you will have 375g and 500g jam jars shortly, just like the rest of us.

Posts: 71 | From: Umeå, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 16:37      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have 454g jars of jam because industrial inertia decrees it... "All products must now be sold in metric weights" worked fine for butter/margarine in wrappers/tubs, yoghurts, meat in packets/vacuum packs etc. etc. and may other items in "disposable" or adjustable packaging but jam (and similar) manufacturers have spent decades perfecting very expensive bottling machines designed to deliver 1/2 or 1lb (imperial pound) of product into (sometimes trademarked) glass jars.

No doubt next time Robertson's or Tiptree etc. decide to upgrade their packaging facility (at the cost of a mere few million) they will move to 500g jars but right now the easiest solution is to simply alter the label to read 454g instead of 1lb...

And yes here in the UK it is quite possible to go and order 3 metres of 4 inch pipe or 12 foot of 25mm conduit because those of a certain age (like me) are bi-lingual and will happily mix and match mm and inches depending of which side of the ruler comes to hand... (of course if you asked my brother who is 5 years younger than me imperial measurements come second... ask someone 10 years younger than me and imperial measurements become something "me Dad uses" etc.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 17:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some years ago, I was workign for a company that did motion control systems. All distances were measured in mm, velocities in mm/s, and acceleration in mm/s/s

An American client decided they didn't like this 'complicated metric stuff' and insisted on a more 'sensible' scheme. The foot being an inconveniently large unit of measure for the purpose, and even inches being too course a measure, the client insisted on the following units

distance: Centifeet (100ths of a foot)
velocity: Centifeet per minute.
acceleration: Centifeet per minute per second.

Far simpler. [crazy]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted September 21, 2005 17:51      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoo hoooo,

Now that really is weird TFD!!!

Insisting on working in Imperial or even "old money" I can understand, but decimal/imperial????

Duuurrrrrr.....

[Eek!]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture