homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Rusting Aluminum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rusting Aluminum
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 19:11      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An article from Popular Science about Rusting Aluminum, pretty interesting I thought.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/h20/article/0,12543,693558,00.html

Make sure to view the video of the rusting aluminus that they provide, link here as well:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/video/0,21644,725807,00.html

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 19:40      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Grey Matter first thing whenever I get a new PopSci. Our Aluminum Oxide supply worries are over!

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2004 20:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how long before some terrorist group tries this. It seems a simple way to get aeroplanes to fall out of the sky.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2004 21:13      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
America hater [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2004 22:22      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah but if you look in that video they scratched off the already oxidized area of the metal and applied the mercury to an unprotected area.

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tandoc
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2004 07:52      Profile for Tandoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
call me stupid or pedantic, but I thought only iron rusts, and other metals just oxidize? =d

--------------------
tandoc @ gmail
NINJ4 - #oz @ irc.cyberarmy.net

Posts: 15 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2004 13:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I wonder how long before some terrorist group tries this. It seems a simple way to get aeroplanes to fall out of the sky.

Yeah, I discussed this with someone when they first told me of this article - it would be kind of tricky to get anything on the *outside* of the airplane. The odds of getting anything all the way through the inside to the outside is quite slim, and if this is as fast acting as I hear, if someone got something on the outside of the plane - while on the ground, as I don't see it feasible to do otherwise (by a person, anyway) - the plane would never leave the ground, as someone would surely notice a lack of structural integrity. They'd really notice if the whole wing was sitting on the ground next to the plane [Wink] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2004 18:43      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tandoc:
call me stupid or pedantic, but I thought only iron rusts, and other metals just oxidize? =d

Aluminum also "rusts" naturally. However, when our friend Al is exposed to oxygen and oxidizes, it the Aluminum Oxide forms a protective "paint" about the surface of the metal. When the metal is cut, it is unprotected, but, eventually, it will oxidize as well.

There are other metals that rust as well. Maybe even all of them It's been a few years since chemistry, so i might not be 100% correct about this.

Also, the page has been "404'd."

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 4 posted October 10, 2004 12:29      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
Also, the page has been "404'd."

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/article/0,20967,693558,00.html

" In crystal form, aluminum oxide is called corundum, sapphire or ruby (depending on the color),.. "

i had no idea!

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 13:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<pedantic chemist>
Actually it's the impurities in the carondum that give ruby and sapphire their color. Pure carondum is colorless.
</pedantic chemist>

Better call the Department of Homeland Security and tell them to lock down all stockpiles of mercury and ban thermometers and barometers...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 17, 2004 01:18      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was "carborundum", or is that just a tradename on sandpaper?

Or am I just completely wrong?

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tandoc
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2004 02:16      Profile for Tandoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
Aluminum also "rusts" naturally. However, when our friend Al is exposed to oxygen and oxidizes, it the Aluminum Oxide forms a protective "paint" about the surface of the metal. When the metal is cut, it is unprotected, but, eventually, it will oxidize as well.

There are other metals that rust as well. Maybe even all of them It's been a few years since chemistry, so i might not be 100% correct about this.

I'm not sure if langage has evolved further yet, but orignally, rust just another term for oxidized iron =__=

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rust

--------------------
tandoc @ gmail
NINJ4 - #oz @ irc.cyberarmy.net

Posts: 15 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2004 12:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RUST, RUSTY--------I first heard these terms when I was a lad on my Grandma's farm, and used to discribe the condition of the cattle feed. Don't feed the cows rusty corn or silage be sure to look at all of the silage. Years later I learned about rusty Iron & Steel and other oxidized metals. There are evan references to rust in the Bible if you care to look.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture