homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Trivia game! Fun while learning, the essence of a geek. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Trivia game! Fun while learning, the essence of a geek.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 22:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why csk, are you implying that the Man of Steel could somehow cause harm to Lois Lane while in the budoir?

Don't mind me, I'm having difficulty sleeping now...mind not the insomniac dragon.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 22:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Come to think of it, I once saw a link of slashdot (where else) which looked at the physics of what would happen if Superman/Clarke bonked Lois. I'm not going to google for the link from work, but suffice it to say the conclusion was that Lois should get her lovin' elsewhere, for her own physical safety [Big Grin]

"man of steel - woman of kleenex - a modern classic.
It also looked into a few other interesting and unexplored aspects of supermans existence.

On a similar note, how do the vampires in 'Buffy' (and other popular vampire shows/books) manage to be so well groomed when they can't see themselves in the mirror?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 27, 2004 05:59      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
On a similar note, how do the vampires in 'Buffy' (and other popular vampire shows/books) manage to be so well groomed when they can't see themselves in the mirror?
Good point. Maybe they groom each other like chimps.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2004 06:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:

The Necromancer of Dol Guldur wasn't Sauron, was he? I thought him to be a minnion of Sauron's... I also know that a few people in the Dark-Lord's service were promised rings of power for their deeds, (Saruman was, until the Ents came).

Sauron was indeed the Necromancer. Gandalf says so at the Council of Elrond (I think - either it was there or in the Unfinished Tales...). After the White Council went ahead and tried to clean out Dol Guldor two thirds of the way through the Hobbit Sauron retreated to Mordor and started to further rebuild. Dol Duldur was empty for a little while, and then a couple Nazgul moved in.

Now, about that life you were going to sell me...

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2004 08:10      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

Just $19.99 (May cause sleeplessness, dizzyness, nausia, or high blood presure. Do not take if: you are pragnet, may be come pregnet or at high risk for heart attack. Ask your doctor if life is right for you. Offer expires June 15, 2004. Not valid in the state of Texas. Other restrictions may apply. Please read, understand and follow any and all warning labels that come with power tools. There is no more important safty rule than wearing safty googles. This product comes without warenty, we are not responsible for any injury that may occur as the result of the use or misuse of this product. This tag cannot be removed under the full penalty of the law, except by the consumer).
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2004 03:44      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and then a couple Nazgul moved in.

Not just any Nazgul, Khamul, the second lord of the ring wraiths! (the one who lead the invasion of the shire and passed the hobbits twice before the elves showed up).

Er I really should get out more.

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2004 07:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't going nto name names Drazgal, but you're right. There was another that went there too, but the only Ring Wraiths Tolkien ever identifies are Khamul (an Easterling) and the Witch King.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2004 07:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wasn't going nto name names Drazgal, but you're right. There was another that went there too, but the only Ring Wraiths Tolkien ever identifies are Khamul (an Easterling) and the Witch King.

But, of course, you're forgetting that in the original transcripts (that were never published), Tolkien actually gives one of the other Nazgul's name - as 'Nigel'. And, in fact, Nigel only appears with the other eight as he missed his flight back to the planet Shaggatron because of a pub-brawl between the lobster pixies and the flying space-monkeys from the Banana Centauri system. Having been abandonned on Middle Earth, Nigel ends up selling tulips at a junction off the A127, near Basildon. For some reason Tolkien dropped this plot-line in later versions.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2004 08:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Nigel have grey skin and antennae? I may have met him then. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2004 08:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did Nigel have grey skin and antennae? I may have met him then. [Razz]

No, he had a Ford Capri and a bird named Tracy and a tattoo wot read 'I luv moi bird Tracy' which he did himself using a bic pen and a box of matches. They used to go to the boozer every night - 'The Gammy Badger', and also to Upton Park every other week for all of West Ham's home games. Later on, Nigel nicked some lolly off the Witch King and scarpered off to Ibiza with some tart he met at a disco in Braintree. They 'ad a little brat called Tristan, who would later form the band 'Kajagoogoo' when he grew up, but was subsequently dropped before they hit the big time due to his unusual habit of pouring jam over the other band members' guitars when they weren't looking.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture