homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Trivia game! Fun while learning, the essence of a geek. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Trivia game! Fun while learning, the essence of a geek.
Kt Smith
Mini Geek
Member # 2293

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2003 16:01      Profile for Kt Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To start the game, I ask a science related question. First person to respond with the correct answer asks the next question and so on.

First quesion:
Approx. how old is the sun?
A. 2 billion years
B. 2.5 billion years
C. 4.5 billion years
D. 6 billions years

--------------------
Cheese, no-one can beat it.

Posts: 67 | From: Mars | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2003 16:49      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sun is estimated to be about 10 - 20 million years older then the Earth, and by radioactive dating, the Earth is about 4.75 billion years old, so that the Sun is therefore around 4.76 billion years. There are uncertainties inherent in radioactive dating so ages from 4.6 to 4.8 billion years are probably reasonable. Note, some of the oldest meteorites are 4.8 - 4.9 billion years, but the trapped dust grains can be much older than the Sun because dust grains are often formed in old stars 10's to 100's of millions of years before they got to the cloud out of which the Sun and planets formed.
(i knew this already, but i am not able to get my thoughts to paper (keyboard) so easy) (side note: that's probably my one big problem, getting my thoughts and ideas out of my head and into a form someone else can understand)

Q: if atoms are made of nutrons, eletrons, etc, and those are made of quarks, ups, downs, etc - what are THEY made of?

damn discovery channel had a special about string theory and didn't even ONCE mention those particals, of which we HAVE seen evidence of

there, that'll keep ya busy

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2003 22:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice idea for a thread there Smitty, now we have to find a way to stop people Googling like -ct- who ripped his post right out of here

Will the real Dr. Sten Odenwald please stand up?

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2003 22:14      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, supposedly everything is made of supersymmetric vibrating strings. I don't know what the latest number of valid dimensions is... think it was something like 10 or so last I read. but there's a few configurations that seemed viable.... 'course I could be wrong so until we know I guess my question will be in a superposition of states of "asked" and "not asked". so someone can in theory get away with a half-assed answer.

here's one for the physical chemists out there, or possibly the google savvy... but then that's just cheating.
Q: How many forms of ice (solid H20) are there? And what well known author wrote a novel about a fictional new state of ice used as a doomsday device?

good luck...

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2003 22:18      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe busted...

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2003 22:49      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:
Well, supposedly everything is made of supersymmetric vibrating strings. I don't know what the latest number of valid dimensions is... think it was something like 10 or so last I read. but there's a few configurations that seemed viable.... 'course I could be wrong so until we know I guess my question will be in a superposition of states of "asked" and "not asked". so someone can in theory get away with a half-assed answer.

here's one for the physical chemists out there, or possibly the google savvy... but then that's just cheating.
Q: How many forms of ice (solid H20) are there? And what well known author wrote a novel about a fictional new state of ice used as a doomsday device?

good luck...

I am gonna guess here: Four states.

[Smile] Liquid
[Smile] Solid
[Smile] Gas
[Smile] And a state that I don't know the name of but heard Xanthie mention once, where the H20 was in all 3 state at once....(or possibly 2 only two states at one [crazy] )

Help me out Xanthie

[Confused] In the Arctic winters, sounds like a person yelling or a car engine can be heard more than 10 kms away, why?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2003 23:05      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:

good luck...

I am gonna guess here: Four states.

[Smile] Liquid
[Smile] Solid
[Smile] Gas
[Smile] And a state that I don't know the name of but heard Xanthie mention once, where the H20 was in all 3 state at once....(or possibly 2 only two states at one [crazy] )

Help me out Xanthie

[Confused] In the Arctic winters, sounds like a person yelling or a car engine can be heard more than 10 kms away, why?

umm sort of close but the question is actually how many forms of ice are there? and then there's the bit about the author, if no one gets it by tomorrow evening I'll post the answer.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 01:46      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only think of 4 states of Ice...
- sleet
- snow
- ice (like a block or a cude of hard solid ice)
- slush (1/2 melted and easiest to spin out on)
I suppose you could call black-ice another state, but that is just ice like block form. Coffee and other Wisconsinites should be able to confirm (or deny) these forms...

As for the fourth state of matter, you forgot good old plasma... Although there are "states" that between these clasifications and I think that is the state you are trying to remember, Cap'n.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 01:53      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supercritical fluid is another state (maybe- I'm not sure that it is officially). Anyway, thats how they decaffeinate coffee.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 04, 2003 07:00      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Supercritical fluid is another state (maybe- I'm not sure that it is officially). Anyway, thats how they decaffeinate coffee.

How????

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 07:26      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 4 states of ice would be Alaska, North Dakota, Wisconson and Minnesota [Big Grin]
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 07:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about ice cream? Ice tea? Frappaccino?
Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 07:45      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stick your coffee beans in supercritical CO or CO2, swish 'em around, and filter. The caffeine is soluble in the supercritical liquid, but other things aren't. At least I think that is what happens.
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 07:50      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick googling shows that both CO and CO2 are used.
iCoach
Geek
Member # 2141

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 04, 2003 08:34      Profile for iCoach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

"More than a dozen known forms of ice are known, including high-density and low-density amorphous, or non-crystalline, ice. Many scientists believe that high- and low-density amorphous ices are the low temperature manifestations of two different states of liquid water, and the transition between the ice forms is sudden, that is, discontinuous in density."

Posts: 164 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 14:12      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle, Ice-9, although I'm not sure it was actually a form of H20. It's been 10 years since I read it; time to dust it off [Wink] .

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 14:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n Vic: it's called the triple point. It's not limited to water - everything except helium can be placed under conditions where it will be in all three states at once. What's the deal with He? It doesn't solidify.

There are many states of ice...the number six seems to stick out in my mind.

/me does a google search: 13 known so far.
Yipes!

Slurpy: ice-nine was H2O in a particularily pernicious form of seed crystal. Good model for prions.

Freezing rain isn't so much a state of ice as just a rather annoying phenomenon. Slush and sleet aren't states of ice - they're a mix of ice and water. My least favorite mixes, unless it's flavored and in a cup. Slushy, mmmm. Let's not forget milkshakes either.

Okay, here's some thermodynamics for ya: at absolute zero, what is the entropy of cis-platin? [Big Grin]

ON a side note, WTF is "snizzle"? It was in tomorrow's forecast in today's paper. Along with it was "freezing drizzle". I thought that, between the PacNW and upstate NY I'd seen all the nasty variations of precip you could see below the Arctic Circle, but apparently I was wrong.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 14:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just call me the double-posting labrat. :/

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 14:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make that triple. Argh!

Well, how about this...there's a lab in Japan that's working out a way to grow coffee plants that don't produce caffeine in order to produce better-tasting decaf. Does that news make up for this posting fiasco? [Big Grin]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 16:29      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow its amazing what geeks can do when they post to forums hehe, well the answer I was looking for was 8, though the information could be a bit dated. In a plot of temperature vs pressure you can see the different states of water, at 1 atm and all temps we'd most likely experience its pretty much just the solid/liquid/gaseous phases of water we're all familiar with, but if you start really cranking up the pressure and really exploring the lower end of the Kelvin scale you find all sorts of different molecular configurations of solid ice. I was only aware of 8 but like I said the information could be dated. All the extra forms of ice are only stable at those extreme conditions. Kurt Vonnegut did write the book Cat's Cradle in which the new form, "Ice 9," was discovered to be stable under conditions found on earth and more than this it was so stable it would not melt. It was also found to stabilize other forms of water into that state. So a seed crystal of ice-9 dropped into an ocean would freeze the ocean.

as for the cis-platin thing wouldn't the entropy for any substance be infinite at absolute zero? unless the enthalpy is also zero at 0K... then I guess everything would be zero, but... well I dunno how internal energy behaves around there its been a while since I've had to think about anything more than dG, dS, dH, and dCp. my guess would be Zero since it shouldn't be moving.

that brings up another question, if there is supposed to be a certain amount of uncertainty (in position/momentum etc.) what happens when you do get to 0K and molecular vibrations are supposed to stop?

gooood question Xanth :}

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Hanji
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2379

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 17:53      Profile for Hanji     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The third law of thermodynamics, if I recall correctly, states that the entropy of a solid sample of a pure element in crystalline form at 0K is 0. I don't know if cis-platin (never heard of), fulfils those requirements, however, and I doubt it does, as that would make the question too easy [Big Grin]
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 09:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cis-platin = PtCl2(NH2)2 = very toxic cancer drug

I think the answer is zero. The question was meant to be easy, just so long as you geeks don't overthink it. [Razz]

But no one's tried to answer my second question: what's snizzle? Coloradan for "flurry"?

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 15:47      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not overthink something?? blasphemy!! [Razz]

I think its gangsta for snow ;p there be snizzle in mah hizzy fo' shizzle!!

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 16:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose you can eventually overthink yourself back to the correct answer, but most of us mortals just end up screwing ourselves. [Razz]

Right now I'm trying not to overthink getting on my bike and riding home in the falling snizzle.

/me braces self to become a frozen and hopefully not flattened labrat

--------------------
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 18:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoth Xanthine:
Well, I suppose you can eventually overthink yourself back to the correct answer, but most of us mortals just end up screwing ourselves. [Razz]
Yeah, I've learned that it's bad to overthink things. (Random aside: Arghh, I so badly want vi keys to work right now as I type this :-/.)

Right now I'm trying not to overthink getting on my bike and riding home in the falling snizzle.
Yeah, just think, "I'm biking home now, and just need to be a tad more careful, as it's snizzling outside," and not "Aaahh, the snizzle, it's going to be the end of me!" Be not afraid...

/me braces self to become a frozen and hopefully not flattened labrat
The former can be dealt with easily, the latter is quite a bit more difficult :-P.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture