homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Elec. Project

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elec. Project
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2003 05:21      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to radio shack the other day, and they have some cool things there. I was wondering, what electronics project are good for beginners? I want something that does something cool, not just sit there and flash an LED. Oh, and it doesn't matter if i need to solder. I need to learn how to solder things anyway. Any ideas?

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2003 05:31      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if they still sell them, but they used to have a cool little FM radio transmitter kit.

It gave you all the parts and instructions neccessary. When it was done, you tune your FM radio to an empty station and you talk into your device, and it would broadcast onto the radio.

Soldering is required, but its pretty easy. The kit was about $12.99 last time I saw it.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2003 06:04      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. I might look for that. It doesn't look like radio shack has it, but I might be able to find schematics somewhere on the web, or maybe the kit is in one of the other stores. Anyway, any other ideas people? *rips out notepad and pen*

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2003 06:17      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at http://kitsrus.com/ - they have quite a few cool kits. Especially nice PIC programmer kits if you are into building boards with PICs on them.

They don't sell directly - but I've had good luck with http://www.electronics123.com/ in the US. They do have an FM receiver kit for $20.

Good luck!

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2003 08:41      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Vectronics, they have a bunch of relatively inexpensive kits. Also, check around for Velleman Kits, they are well-made, I've put several together.

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2003 16:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post 
What you could do is use this URL and brouse there and then see if you would like to get into amateur radio. When you do look me up kc8yhw.

http://www.cs-sales.com/

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture