homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Oldies and goodies - digging up music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oldies and goodies - digging up music
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2003 06:11      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I've had great fun with is using my iMac to turn old vinyl LPs into digital files. I've got a fair number of records, some of them going back a ways. Granted it takes time to convert them, especially if I have to do a lot of clean up, but having them available a mouse click away through iTunes is so much nicer. I don't have to dig through the stacks to find them, don't have to worry aobut wearing them out, and taking out the worst clicks, pops, and scratches means they sound better than they have in years.

Sure I could probably find some of the stuff re-released on CD - but a lot of the stuff I like probably never will be. I've got "Chicago Shouts" by the Dave Remington big band which is awesome - but you can't find it anywhere. Ditto for "The Persuasive Trombone of Urbie Green" Downloading music over the net is not something I'm really in to, because I only have a dial-up connection.

I'm sure if I did look, I could find a number of things I'd like - and I do when it's something I don't have on vinyl. I recently tracked down Dean Friedman using the net after no longer being able to resist memories of one of his old hits from years back. (Ariel)

At the moment, I'm enjoying a bunch of tunes from Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66 I just finished converting this week. I can create playlists to listen to just the tunes I want. It's amazing to go with just the mostly Brazilian tunes they put out versus the commercial pop; quite a difference. (Of course, if I understood Portugese, the tunes would probably seem as insipid as most English language pop tunes [Wink] )

If the music industry ever gets its act together and figures out how to make their back catalog available in a reasonable manner instead of whining about piracy, that would be wonderful - but as long as I can have my old vinyl and digitize it too, that's not the worst. Besides - how else can you burn a CD and get that turntable rumble underneath? [Smile] If this keeps up, I'm going to have to get another hard drive just to hold the music files I'm creating.

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2003 06:17      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got Final Vinyl, a freeware app from Griffin that works with the iMic. You don't even have to have your turntable connected to an amp, you just plug it directly into the iMic. It still has limited options, like no pop and crackle reduction, but it does have EQ and the ability to separate tracks with cue markers. It's only 1.0 right now. I think they're going to add more features in the future.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2003 10:01      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm using an iMic from Griffin, but I use Sound Studio. It's not the most powerful sound editor out there, but you can get it off the net as a download for a small fee from Felt Tip Software. The tools that come with it are a good place to start - I haven't really tapped the full potential of it yet. They're on version 2.x something, with an upgrade due real soon now.
Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 06:43      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should form a club [Smile] I've been CDing my vinyl for a couple of weeks now. Sound Studio gets my vote, too, though for the really crackly ones, I need the noise filter of CD Spin Doctor (that you get when you buy Roxio Toast). Let's see ... This weekend, I finished the Snakefinger and Tuxedo Moon albums, and a semi-classical piece that Peter Schickele (of PDQ Bach fame) composed and performed for the Louisville Orchestra, and started a Tom Waits album. It's great to play this old music in the car.
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 31, 2003 08:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds fun. :-)

OT: aww man... all my albums are still back in Ontario. [Frown]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 08:46      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a production assistant for the Louisville Orchestra. Didn't get to see P.D.Q. Bach though. [Frown]
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 10:36      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shortly going to start ripping my vinyl as well. I'm waiting until I rebuild my office and can finally get the turntable into an area where I have computers. As for listening in the car, I was thinking of getting on of the MP3 players which emulate a CD changer. I could load it up at home, stuff it in the trunk and have a huge library in the car. Anyone have any experience with that?
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 14:36      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
I was a production assistant for the Louisville Orchestra. Didn't get to see P.D.Q. Bach though. [Frown]

When was that? The Schickele concert was around 1985. It was serious music, though -- he didn't do PDQ Bach. I did get to see him do a PDQ Bach routine in Louisville, though, in the mid 90s. It was a gas, of course.
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 15:12      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rw:
When was that? The Schickele concert was around 1985.

I worked for them from about '94 to '97. I got to see a lot of "stars." Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, The Pointer Sisters, The Smothers Brothers, Doc Severinson, Michael Feinstein and that country music guy who wrote that godawful "Wind Beneath My Wings" song. I still have a grudge against Aretha Franklin because I had to run out and buy her some Evian water at the last minute before the show. Our tap water wasn't good enough for her, it had to be French tap water.
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 18:34      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
I'm shortly going to start ripping my vinyl as well. I'm waiting until I rebuild my office and can finally get the turntable into an area where I have computers. As for listening in the car, I was thinking of getting on of the MP3 players which emulate a CD changer. I could load it up at home, stuff it in the trunk and have a huge library in the car. Anyone have any experience with that?

I haven't yet, but I've been looking at some of the options with the iPod - Griffin Technology has a gizmo that plugs into the headphone jack and broadcasts the sound as a stereo FM signal you can pick up with the car radio. If you've already got a decent radio in the car, this would be a lot less hassle, plus you have the iPod to use anywhere else you want to go with it. I expect it would work with any other portable MP3 player as well. For that matter, it would be a relatively easy way to use an iPod with a home stereo system as well, one with an FM receiver, or with a boom box when you want portable speakers with a big sound.
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2003 12:05      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The things I'm looking at are the Dension, Neo and PhatNoise units. They support a variet of CD changer interfaces. It's a great way to go - the box installs in back and you control it with the regular controls, so there is no need for a remote faceplate. The questions I am working on are
- which one is really compatible with my car?
- do I *really* have to spend ~$700 for this?

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture