homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Only In Canada...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Only In Canada...
Mike Ma
Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2002 22:55      Profile for Mike Ma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't beat a Mini, but, I was feeling kinda left out, so...

2001 Acura 1.7EL....if you don't know what it is, I tell everybody it's a top line Honda Civic beefed up a bit here, and tweaked a bit there, and wearing way swankier duds. Only available in Canada since in the States they have a Civic model that comes close to the EL's features....and, of course, outside of North America, there is no such thing as an Acura....

I don't have a name for him/her, but I do very much like it....127HP VTEC is surprisingly peppy and with the gas being like 71 cents/L out where I am, it saves money too (I only travel like 5KM max a day, so I only get to see the crappy gas mileage numbers--the thing gets awesome mileage on the highway!). It's about a year old right now (6400 KMs) and am still happy with it. Although, had I waited 3-4 months, I would have bought one of the new Altima's.

Oh, ignore that brown thing in the foreground....that hulk is my old car (An 85 Toyota Camry LE....still runs, but it's really pokey with it's like 90HP engine).

Posts: 7 | From: St. Albert AB Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mike Ma
Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2002 23:00      Profile for Mike Ma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid Host ISP....FTP access is constantly going down just when i need it!!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2002 05:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New car owners of Geekculture, unite!
Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2002 10:08      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those electric hybrid cars sound pretty cool, anyone have one yet, or test drive one?

Ahh, wish I could get a new car, I'd love a convertable. I love those classic, older mustang convertables.

Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2002 17:59      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where in Canada are these cars made?
Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mike Ma
Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2002 18:29      Profile for Mike Ma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rednivek:
Where in Canada are these cars made?

The EL actually has final assembly in a plant in Ontario (Scarborough, I believe). The parts obviously come from other places.....

The Chump
Geek
Member # 593

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2002 05:30      Profile for The Chump   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When ot comes to cars I've only got one thing to say:

PISTONS SUCK
The rotary engine and The man himself: Dr. Felix Wankel

------------------
Vedi Vidi Velcro
"I came, I saw, I stuck around"

Posts: 184 | From: In my chair, in front of my laptop, at my desk, in my kitchen, in my aprtment, o | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2002 05:49      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by Nitrozac: Those electric hybrid cars sound pretty cool, anyone have one yet, or test drive one?
That's another top choice on my list of potential future cars. I want one mainly as a backlash against all the people in my town who have monster-truck SUV's. These people never go off road and are still afraid to drive in snow. They buy them big mostly on the assumption that they have better crash survivability.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2002 06:40      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
They buy them big mostly on the assumption that they have better crash survivability.

which is quite funny really as the car manufacturers make them because they can skip a lot of the crash survivability testing when designing them. As a result, most 4x4s came out very poorly in crash tests done in Europe recently. (major problems like bodywork and engine incursions into the passenger area during a crash)

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2002 06:49      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
...engine incursions into the passenger area during a crash...

Are the new Minis any better in that regard? This, of course, was the big problem with the old ones (countless stories of people finding the engine on their laps after a shunt). I used to have a beautiful Mini... *sob* *sob* Navy blue with fat white stripes down the bonnet... until it turned into a clown car - every time I stopped at a junction something fell off... I think my registration plate is still on the A3 somewhere...

------------------
"It's the largest lingerie department in Ireland, so I'm told."

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2002 09:15      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
which is quite funny really as the car manufacturers make them because they can skip a lot of the crash survivability testing when designing them. As a result, most 4x4s came out very poorly in crash tests done in Europe recently. (major problems like bodywork and engine incursions into the passenger area during a crash)

I think what most people fail to realize is that the bigger the vehicle, the more energy must be absorbed in a crash. The statistics show fewer fatalities per passenger mile in smaller vehicles. Maybe it's just because only *old* people drive things like Cadillacs and old people are more fragile.

Smaller cars are a smaller target and are easier to miss. They are less massive and stop faster, They are more manuverable and easier to avoid an accident in.

I drive an SUV, but it's a Honda CR/V. It is smallish, 4 cylinder, and very car like. It gives me the cargo capacity I need, 25 MPG, and I can tow a trailer. it does not suffer from the infamous SUV rollover hazard.

------------------
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. -George Carlin
Gra
phicPower-News and
Views for the Graphics
Industry

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2002 12:29      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new minis are essentially BMW's in disguise, they only take styling cues from the original (and front wheel drive, the Mini is the only front wheel drive BMW has ever made). Definitely feels like a BMW, very well made.

According to EuroNCAP, the Mini's crash protection is pretty good

http://www.euroncap.com/details.php3?id=car_112_2002

unless you're a pedestrian
and

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2002 06:31      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by GraphicPower.com:
I think what most people fail to realize is that the bigger the vehicle, the more energy must be absorbed in a crash. ...

But the smaller car is usually doing the absorbing

Another big selling point (amoung a**holes) for the monster SUVs is that they tend to be the ones dinging other peoples doors and crushing in others headlights in parking lots, rather than the other way around. My neighbor backed right into my headlights and shattered it and never had the decency to fess up.

Your CRV is hardly an SUV in this neck of the woods. The people here like them Grand Cherokee size or larger. The Suburban is really popular, but losing ground to the Lexus and BMW SUVs. There you can have a big car that's really expensive as well! What could be better?

The bizarre irony is that the population of my town is about 75% Jewish - and about a quarter of them are from Isreal and Iran. Yet here they are, bying some of the worst gas hogs on the road. You would think that they would put two and two together and realize that using more oil is not the way to defuse tensions in the middle east.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture