homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » forgive me Linus, for I have sinned...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: forgive me Linus, for I have sinned...
Timmy334
Geek Larva
Member # 1345

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2003 18:14      Profile for Timmy334   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been 10 days since I've used Linux. I got a new computer desk and had to take my system down. Well, it didnt' work and I had to put it all back. Well, right before I did that, I formatted. I dual boot XP and SuSE 8.2 Pro. I got my XP partition set up since I have to work on my final project for my Associates degree and I have to use Visual Studio. I haven't had a chance to reinstall SuSE yet. Oh dear god, the horror!!!!!!!!
... There, I feel better... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I'm not just a programmer, I'm a Code Poet.

-=TeamGouranga.com=-

Posts: 20 | From: Montgomery, AL USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2003 19:32      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, this is why I like having a Mac. Even if you dual-boot linux on a mac, you've got a unix terminal, X11, and an open source kernel either way you boot. I haven't used linux in like... wow, quite some time. My PC is for games. My Mac is for work.

I sympathize with your having to work with Visual Studio for anything, especially if it is education related.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Mayers
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2003 19:34            Edit/Delete Post 
i know how you feel. im forced to use Windoze w/ a lot of work I do, and I dislike it as well as VS. even more frustrating is this new VS .NET... it's ridiculous
IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2003 03:43      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats wrong with Visual Studios (though due to certain run time files needed for programs I cna see why people are staying away from .net)? Im yet to find on any platform an IDE of similar quality, although some come close.

So out of interest what windows or Linux IDEs do you guys use? maybe ive been trying the wrong ones.

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2003 07:19      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, very little is wrong with the VS line. I'm not an IDE fan myself, but when I have to write windows GUI code, VS does a fine job. The layout tools are easier to use than writing resource files by hand, the debugger works well enough. I don't use the code editor, but that's because I use vi on every platform (even DOS, which I still write code for occasionally).

Now, that said, I still hate writing code for windows. But that mostly has to do with the windows API's and the almost total lack of geometry managment for controls. I much prefer the layout flexibility of Xt (and the various toolkits like Motif on top of it). OTOH, they over designed that, so it's difficult to write good geometry managers.

Matt: Can you tell us what makes VS.net ridiculous?

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
ParodyMan
Newbie Larva
Member # 2065

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2003 08:10      Profile for ParodyMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company I used to work for didn't move to the original Visual Studio .NET because the C++ compiler didn't compile our app properly. It was too bad, because when it was working it compiled everything a heck of a lot faster than VC6.

Eventually MS gave us a patch for the compiler that fixed that problem, but we had already decided to wait for an official service pack to come out. Looks like that became VS.NET 2003.

I like VC6, and I think I'd have a hard time working without an IDE. Guess it depends on what you learned C/C++ with.

Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2003 16:31      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My typical IDE consists of a text editor and a compiler.

In the rare occasion that I want to make a Cocoa app, I use ProjectBuilder. Given that I haven't bothered to learn Objective C or more than a smattering of the Cocoa packages for Java, this isn't often.

Occasionally if I want a quick and dirty gui for something I'll start up realbasic. I hate writing in basic, but I do not attribute inherent evil to this version as I do with VB. Can compile for both mac and windows, so there is a plus as well.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted July 02, 2003 20:23      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I starting to like Project Builder. I have to use a number of different languages, so usually I use gVim, but I think that Project Builder is my up-and-coming favorite.

Used to be SunONE Studio, but I think I like Project Builder's cost better [Smile]

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture