homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » I started a forest fire....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I started a forest fire....
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2003 21:00      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the Memorial day weekend in the states we decided to take this opportunity to go camping on some land that we own. It was a great weekend to go camping and it kept us from having to decide if we stay at my folk's place or my in-laws place.

To make a long story short - we wanted to move our fire-ring and so on Saturday we got some more rocks and dug a hole for a new fire pit. We didn't dig up much sod around it though. We started a fire and it got away from us in the long grass. We were sure that since there was so much green compared to the little bit of dead stuff from last year it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately it was a problem. We attacked it with shovels and water dipped from the nearby marsh, but quickly realized that we had to call in the fire department. Several area volunteer fire departments showed up, along with some heavy equipment that plowed fire breaks, etc.

Overall about I'ld estimate that 15-20 acres burned. Mostly on our own land. No buildings were hit, and we even were able to get practially all our camping gear packed up and out of there after we called 911.

It was scary as hell! Fortunately most of the area burned was not heavily wooded, and the bigger trees will mostly survive the fire. No property loss, and no people hurt. Thank God!

This might even provide a good time to go in and plant a bunch of good tree varieites instead of the scrub that was mostly growing there. Unfortunately I'm sure that a number of squirls and other small wildlife lost homes in the old brush, woodpiles, and old stub tree trunks that burned.

All in all this was one of the stupidest things my wife and I have ever done. Now we have to figure out if we are going to be brave enough to go back there and camp again....

We did talk to the fire-fighters (helped where we could) and while we won't get a ticket because it was a legal campfire, we will probably get a bill for the fire-fighters. Now to see how insurance treats it.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 02:14      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

My brother burned around 16 acres in Red River Gorge National Park, around '92 or so. He was sitting at the edge of a cliff with a buddy, lighting firecrackers and throwing them off the edge into the trees below. As soon as they noticed the fire, they went and got a park ranger. They helped the rangers put out the fire, but it was too late at that point. He neglected to mention the incident to my mother.

Boy, was she surprised when she opened up a letter with the heading: "The United States of America vs. Scott W. Girten."

Through some bizarre twist of fate, the prosecutor on the case had gone to law school with my mother's best friend, so they were able to talk him down to giving my bro and his friend to 200 hours of community service (the cumulative maximum penalty was something like 4 years in jail, and/or a several thousand dollar fine). God must be saving something good for the Girten clan, considering the number of scrapes we've gotten out of by pure luck and coincidence. . . [Razz]

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 11:00      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
slurpy-
wow he lucked out! if I had done something like that I am sure I would still be in jail; I never get lucky

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
THEM
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 14:50      Profile for THEM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Slurpy:
Heh.

...must be saving something good for the Girten clan, considering the number of scrapes we've gotten out of by pure luck and coincidence. . . [Razz]

no coincidence, no luck - WE have been helping just enough so that when WE do OUR thing, well, YOU know...

WE are just waiting for the right moment when WE will do OUR thing
YOU will not "get out of" the "scrape" we have in store for YOU

[devil wand] [evil] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 15:40      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I burned about 3 acres of woods when I was 4 years old.

I lived in an apartment complex in Atlanta, Georgia at the time. Me and another kid had found some matches and were lighting small piles of pine needles. One of the piles got out of hand and started spreading. In about 5 minutes it had spread to the entire patch of woods. There was another apt. complex on the back side of the woods, nearly touching the trees. It spread out there and actually burned and melted some peoples patio furniture.

Luckily my mom (the complex manager) saw the flames and called the fire department, who of course put out the fire.

There were no legal consequences, though my mother did make me go and apologize to the firemen.

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 15:49      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah??? I used to burn ants with a magnifying glass!!!
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 19:58      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

Every summer I'd soak all the ant hills in my yard with gasoline and light em up. It was the only effective way to destroy an ant hill.

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 22:33      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Hmm, I found a box of bottles of hair spray (nice highly flamable stuff, hehe) that were 8cents each.. I bought about 50 of them (the whole box, heh, I still have a couple left, actually...). I would take them out with my lighter, instant bug torch, back when I was about 8 or so.. I think the closest I came to starting a real fire was when I was 7, with a magnifying glass at school.. Actually, it was an interesting thing that had four magnifying glasses on it, so they could be used to start a fire, or used properly, could be a pair of binoculars, a real spiffy thing.. But, anywho, I lit a weed on fire in the middle of the playground, it burned a leaf on the weed and I was already stomping it out.. My scout training came in handy in all my other adventures with fire, I was never that stupid with it [Razz] (and it was a regular lawn weed, not what you pot heads are thinking [Razz] )

[devil wand]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 23:59      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
quote:

Hmm, I found a box of bottles of hair spray (nice highly flamable stuff, hehe) that were 8cents each.. I bought about 50 of them (the whole box, heh, I still have a couple left, actually...). I would take them out with my lighter, instant bug torch, back when I was about 8 or so.. I think the closest I came to starting a real fire was when I was 7, with a magnifying glass at school.. Actually, it was an interesting thing that had four magnifying glasses on it, so they could be used to start a fire, or used properly, could be a pair of binoculars, a real spiffy thing.. But, anywho, I lit a weed on fire in the middle of the playground, it burned a leaf on the weed and I was already stomping it out.. My scout training came in handy in all my other adventures with fire, I was never that stupid with it [Razz] (and it was a regular lawn weed, not what you pot heads are thinking [Razz] )

[devil wand]

You do know I was being sarcastic, right??

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2003 01:50      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Ha! That reminds me of when some friends and I used to cut limbs off of action figures, then use the magnifying lens to melt them back on [Roll Eyes] .

Looking back, I don't know HOW I managed to live through childhood. . .

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
Geek ID# 1162

snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 28, 2003 05:32      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
heh-anybody remember the tv series "Fridays" with Michael Richards, Brad Hall, etc? Richards used to play this little boy playing in the dirt with his action figures and destroying everything in sight-this thread just made me think of it.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2003 12:02      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - I loved burning up ants with a magnifying glass. Real fun was finding out which ones made the biggest pop. Many just sizzled - but if you cooked them just right the big black ones would sometimes pop. Way too cool.
Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2003 12:37      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
heh-anybody remember the tv series "Fridays" with Michael Richards, Brad Hall, etc? Richards used to play this little boy playing in the dirt with his action figures and destroying everything in sight-this thread just made me think of it.

I don't remember the series, but that was definitely me. Come to think of it, it's STILL me [evil] .
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2003 13:16            Edit/Delete Post 
hm, when ants chewed through the wall and into our dining room, I tried tazing them with the piezo lighter from an old gas fire (had to let the spark jump to something metal like the radiator) - about 30,000 volts at low current. After about 10-15 sparks, ants would be pretty much incapacitated, but they could still get up and walk away later - it's an ineffective means to kill them.
IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2003 13:21      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I have a 100,000 volt stun gun. Insects REALLY don't like it. [Eek!]

--------------------
-Bruce Tognazzini
Geek ID# 1162

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2003 08:25            Edit/Delete Post 
One of these days I'll get to shoot a fly with my little gadget that fires off a circular fly swat.

Otherwise, what do we have spiders for, eh? [Smile]

IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2003 14:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
snupy wrote:
heh-anybody remember the tv series "Fridays"

Actually, I do remember that series. The only bit I really remember well, though, is the diner of the living dead skit from their first show.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture