homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » I can't beat a computer at chess (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I can't beat a computer at chess
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted December 27, 2001 19:35      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Sigh* geek rating goes down a few notches...

Seriously. The best I have managed was a stalemate with us both down to a king.

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2001 04:41      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got company. I can't win against a computer, either, even at the novice level. I suspect I know why, though -- I tend to play defensively. It's widely recognized you cannot win a war by fighting defensively, and I'm sure the principle extends to playing chess.

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2001 07:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, the same pretty much applies to me. Only once did I actually beat the free chess program "Pocket Chess" for my Palm V. Every time I've played, it's at the absolute lowest level, and yet I couldn't do it, except one very lucky time. Having just taken "Introduction to Artificial Intelligence" in school, I can tell you that these programs (as you probably know) figure out many 'plies' (single moves) in advance, and evaluate which path will not only be the best for them, but cause the least scoring for you (The Minimax Evaluation Scheme). Unfortunately, unlike the great chess minds, I do not think many plies in advance, only trying to do well, and like EngrBohn said, play defensively.
Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jidabug
Geek
Member # 779

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted December 28, 2001 08:28      Profile for Jidabug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If being able to beat a computer at chess is a hallmark of geekdom, I guess I'll just have to hand in my membership card.

Not only can I not beat a computer at chess, but I can't usually win against another human, either. I don't like chess that much. Trivial Pursuit, I'll take all comers, but I just can't get into chess.

Posts: 123 | From: No matter where I go, there I am. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Akira
Geek
Member # 954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2001 10:43      Profile for Akira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me either.

That's why I took up Magic, though I couldn't keep up with the arms race.

But give me Star Wars trivial pursuit and I will 0wn joo!

------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg.
Prepare to have your ass laminated.

Posts: 223 | From: LA LA land | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BlueAntoid
Mini Geek
Member # 1030

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted December 28, 2001 11:20      Profile for BlueAntoid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hah, I'm just as bad. I can usually stalemate if I'm feeling lucky.

As for Magic... well, I used to be really into the game, but my only opponent is incredibly more experienced than me. I could count the times I won against him over the past 4 years on one hand.

------------------
"I can't believe I'm going to die at the hands of converging red blips." - Seamus Harper

"Are you denying the snazzy of that?" - The Tick

"Nobody throws a dwarf!" - Gimli

Posts: 67 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2001 15:14      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither can a chess champion, humans are wired for pattern finding and art, while computers are mathematical. Do't get mad, get glad! (he, he, he, he,!
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 11:19      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only beaten my computer twice at chess. I was playing it on level 3 of 12. Chess is ok, but I prefer backgammon. I can usually hold my own against a computer on the highest levels because of the random dice rolls.

------------------
CrawGator

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Douglas Adams Mostly Harmless

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
octothorp
Assimilated
Member # 339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 13:12      Profile for octothorp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My strategy game of preference right now is Go, but I have a hard time finding anyone to play with. Neat thing about go is that even though programmers have been working on Go computer sims for about as long as chess sims, the best Go sims have a hard time competing at the professional level. Something about the intuitive nature of the game is difficult for computers. Hard part is finding people to play against. It's not quite as universal as chess, but is way more fun and much cooler.
For the record, I'm not much good against chess sims, either.

#

ps. I agree fully with Akira on the arms race with Magic. And while my pride and joy was a rather expensive green/black deck, the one that seemed to work the best was my orcish artillary deck. Anyway, they're all rotting away in my closet now.

Posts: 361 | From: calgary, alberta, canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Etherblade
Geek
Member # 360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 16:40      Profile for Etherblade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might add an extra dimension to the conversation. When Kasparov lost to Deep Blue, the second time he was playing, the point was brought up that Deep Blue was not made to beat a chess player, it was designed to beat Kasparov. While other computer programs, such as Chessmaster or Battle Chess (Heehee, funniest animations of chess anywhere, I swear.) may not have the computing capabilities of Deep Blue, they are probably not designed to play chess per se. They're designed to beat you.

Etherblade

Posts: 192 | From: Shiznit, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 18:23      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I was able to beat a computer at chess was when I noticed a weakness in the program's countermoves and was then able to beat it several times in succession.

That was merely because I used the same moves repeatedly, but was making bets with others that I could beat it.

It kept me in lunch money for about a week.

I'm not into chess, though...I know the moves, that's it. I just have a knack for finding weaknesses and flaws.

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted January 03, 2002 19:31      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what we need? Self-esteem chess programs designed never to lose but to always force you to work to the best of your skills.

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 13, 2002 17:27      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, look. Chess and any other game that is programmed into a computer is pretty much hard to beat anyway. Unless it has almost infinite combinations.
Take go, which has 2^750 number of combos, that game is much easier to beat a computer at. And is also one of the most challenging things to program!

Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2002 18:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's easy enough to beat the computer at Rock-Scissors-Paper and there are only six possible combinations there.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 08:36      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9 combinations for rock-paper-scissors (you have to count the ties).

I can't beat a well-written computer chess program, but I can spank the hell out of the AI in Civilization: Call to Power or Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. So that's gotta count for something... right?

Oh yeah, and I can beat almost any computer in a foot race!

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 09:03      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- greycat -
Oh yeah, and I can beat almost any computer in a foot race!

Heh. Reminds me of a remark I once read. Back in the days when I thought I *might* be able to beat the computer if only I studied the game, I read a book about the different strategies. The author mentioned an anecdote about the first successful computer chess program. The authors wanted to take it for a demo at an international chess competition in the Soviet Union, but the Soviets refused to permit it, saying that it would be importing a weapon. The author then editorialized, remarking that the only way it could have been used as a weapon was if the computer were dropped out of the airplane onto somebody.

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2002 14:25      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If being able to beat a computer at chess is a hallmark of geekdom, I guess I'll just have to hand in my membership card.

This geek here, does not even know how to play chess. how sad is that?
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted February 11, 2002 17:23      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I played once, got beaten pretty badly. Too bad I didn't have an opponent.......Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2002 07:57      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
zorro you crack me up sometimes.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted February 12, 2002 20:33      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by macadddikt18:
zorro you crack me up sometimes.
Nayt

I try to be nice occasionally, I can'b be an ass all the time...............(oh yeah, and I was sooooo tempted to use the "I can beat Myself line, but that would be going too far........oops I just wrote it)...........Z

Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nemo
Geek
Member # 1122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2002 00:46      Profile for Nemo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll join the "I can't play chess" company.
I sometimes played with my sister's chess game, and won, using my own rules. But I guess that doesn't count, since I was like five or something.

Jidabug;
Trivial Persuit - any time!
You up for a game, let me know.
Millennium Ed?

My friends hate playing TP with me, because
I've got a tend to win...
Playstation - I suck.

Posts: 122 | From: The deep woods of Norway | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2002 05:36      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are on for Trivial Pursuit, but none of the Scandinavian versions please

US or UK version?

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nemo
Geek
Member # 1122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2002 00:38      Profile for Nemo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Swiss Mercenary:
You are on for Trivial Pursuit, but none of the Scandinavian versions please

US or UK version?

You decide, I'm always up for a game or two.
Roll the dice and ask away.

Besides, the Scandinavian versions sucks big time.

Posts: 122 | From: The deep woods of Norway | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 19, 2002 07:49      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok then; anyone want to work out how we are going to proceed here?

Anyone want to help host the board?

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nemo
Geek
Member # 1122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2002 00:45      Profile for Nemo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, game's on!

Mmm, Swiss Mercenary, we have a slight problem...

Seems like we need a third/fourth/fifth part to control the game - keep track of score, ask questions etc etc etc...

Any ideas??? Any voulenteers??? Anyone???

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture