homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Hey, Aussies - is that all you got? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hey, Aussies - is that all you got?
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2003 03:05      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh... 22-10, huh? Myehhhh...

(Sorry about the offensive subject title - merely paraphrasing some crass headline from earlier in the tournament. [Wink] )

So, what's the betting on the final? A draw? A walkover? A mass brawl on the pitch, leading to a riot and then civil war?

I'd like to say "let the best team win" - but bollocks to that! [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2003 04:07      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon a monster victory for england, with all points scored from the boot of Wilkinson, just like the france game.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2003 04:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
So, what's the betting on the final? A draw? A walkover? A mass brawl on the pitch, leading to a riot and then civil war?

Sounds like a typical rugby game to me [Razz]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2003 05:01      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that even for those of you who have no interest at all in rugby the final will still be exciting - two nations slugging out plenty of mutual ill-feeling - the Aussies hate us for joining the EU, and we're hugely resentful of them for offloading Rolf Harris on us. [Razz]

(quick Viz magazine flashback: Famous people on the toilet, #39 - Rolf Harris: "Can you see what it is yet?")

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2003 05:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that even for those of you who have no interest at all in rugby the final will still be exciting - two nations slugging out plenty of mutual ill-feeling - the Aussies hate us for joining the EU, and we're hugely resentful of them for offloading Rolf Harris on us. [Razz]

That's what you get for being soft.
You had the chance to hang his ancestor, but instead you let him off lightly, 'transportation to the colonies' indeed !

Soft, that's what you are, soft !

Of course, the real ill-will stems from another conflict, the struggle to see which nation can crawl furthest up GWBs anal passage. At the moment, oz seems to be winning, we're just about in sight of his tonsils. [shake head]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 02:07      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, with Blair shutting down half of London to keep the Bushwhacker safe we might overtake you soon.

Whatever the result, living in Scotland Im sure as hell not going to a pub to watch the game [Smile]

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 03:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Drazgal:

Whatever the result, living in Scotland Im sure as hell not going to a pub to watch the game [Smile]

Oh come on !
Surely the scots will happily cheer for anyone who's playing against England.
And watching England get so soundly thrashed should put everyone in a good mood.

<obligatory cap'n vic comment>
After all, it's only a game !
</obligatory cap'n vic comment>

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 07:03      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow is Deliverance Day!! Woo hoo!!

I'm shaking already... I have a horrible, horrible feeling that we're not going to do it... almost out of a sense of destiny, more than anything. Australia is probably the greatest sporting nation on the planet (if you compare its population with its medals/honours - no other country really comes close! )

Oh, well - at least we got to the final... [Frown]

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 09:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tomorrow is Deliverance Day!! Woo hoo!!

I'm shaking already...

Deliverance day?

Is that when you dress up like Ned Beatty and some toothless hillbilly has his way with your caboose?

I'd be shaking too.

Squeek like a pig Weeeeeeeeeeee weeeeeee

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 10:09      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
And watching England get so soundly thrashed should put everyone in a good mood.

i am going to be so happy when you have to eat your words tomorrow!

may the best cheez win (as long as it's english of course!)

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 12:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've long admired the English talent for totally divorcing themselves from reality.

Decades after the Empire fell on it's arse, they still delude themselves they're a Great Power, and call the USA 'our allies' when 'our masters' would be more accurate.

Similarly, even though their cricket team is routinely beaten by such great cricketing nations as Holland and Fiji, they still act like they have some credibility in international sports.

I look forward to playing the 'gracious winner' tomorrow.

<sfx>
maniacal cackle
</sfx>

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 03:35      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SWING LOW, SWEET CHARIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 03:41      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
COMING FOR TO CARRY ME (and the Webb Ellis Trophy) HOME!!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 03:55      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a must see website

[Big Grin]

it was an amazing game though, australia just scoring before full time to go into extra time, and england just scoring before the end of extra time. i did think australia were going to win at one point. but luckily i got over my brief spell of delusion.

my tenants (who are australian) are not happy...

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 04:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
/me brandishes his British Passport prominently...

Wooo Hooo !
We won !

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 08:20      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an utterly terrific, nerve jangling, heart in your mouth game! When it finished I was shaking! And the Aussies just played out of their skins. It was one of the times when the cliche about Sport being the real winner was true.

Just fabulous!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 15:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't catch the game, but if the aussie press is to be believed, our PMs behaviour fell several points short of 'gracious in defeat'.

This mornings paper carried photos of a very sour-faced John Howard presenting the medals to the winning team, and the letters page was full of scathing criticism of his unsportsmanlike behaviour.

What a shit-head.

Sadly, this incident doesn't even make it into my top-ten list of why I'm ashamed to have this bastard as PM.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 17:14      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quite liked the comic in one of our Sydney papers today. It showed two Barmy army members, in front of a trophy case, which had labels for all the different sports, ie rugby, cricket, soccer, etc. It's completely empty except for the rugby one. One says to the other "Well, it's a start"

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 03:59      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All in all a great tournament - I think the hosts did a fine job - but OMG it was close. Fair play to both teams - but John Howard is a dick.

One note - in all that drunkeness, banter and revelry - did anyone see how much crowd trouble there was? None. Not one scuffle. Can you imagine what would have happened if that had been a soccer crowd?

--------------------

Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 04:54      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...What's a PM?

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 05:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mercury_Blue:
...What's a PM?

Speaketh he of John Howard, the Australian Prime Minister, who when handing out the winners' medals to the England team looked as if he'd just picked up Roseanne Arnold's car keys at a wife-swap. I think, cynically, that he was trying to convey to his voting public that his desire for Australia to win was great enough to dwarf even his sense of common decency. Who knows.

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 09:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...What's a PM?

Kinda like a President, only a PM is elected to office through a democratic process known as an election.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 13:14      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All in all a great tournament - I think the hosts did a fine job - but OMG it was close. Fair play to both teams - but John Howard is a dick.

Don't worry, most Aussies agree with you about little Johnny being a dick.
Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 13:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

Don't worry, most Aussies agree with you about little Johnny being a dick.
nah, dicks are useful for something.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 13:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
...What's a PM?

Speaketh he of John Howard, the Australian Prime Minister, who when handing out the winners' medals to the England team looked as if he'd just picked up Roseanne Arnold's car keys at a wife-swap. I think, cynically, that he was trying to convey to his voting public that his desire for Australia to win was great enough to dwarf even his sense of common decency. Who knows.
The guy has all the charm and charisma of a road-accident, and tries to counter that, and appear to be a 'man of the people' by playing up his 'love of sport'.

He's been known to dress up in aussie-colours tracksuit to watch sporting events on the telly, and then call a few dozen journalists into his room to witness the occasion.

During the olympics, he scooted around from one venue to another, carefully chosen for the likelyhood of an aussie winning a medal. If oz didn't win, he shot through immediately, if oz won, he hung around behind the athletes, standing on tippy-toes so that the cameras could see him, and grinning like a fscking idiot.

He was clearly upset that oz lost, and yet he wasn't allowed to shoot through. He was there to bask in aussie victory, basking in aussie defeat was not what he had in mind.

Obviously, his 'love of sport' doesn't extend to an understanding of the word 'sportsmanship'.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture