homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » SCO Madness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SCO Madness
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 07, 2003 16:01      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, I wanted to go on a rant about all this that SCO co. has been up to latley, but it's really confusing the shit out of me. I don't think I've ever seen such a big hairball made out of something other than hair. At first I paid attention, but then I stopped caring, now the news keeps coming and SCO's just annoying. Does anyone else here care at all, even if it's just to say you do?

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 07, 2003 16:41      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to know if I can get money for going from RedHat to OS X [Smile]

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2003 04:36      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I care, because if somehow SCO actually win (and although I know most reckon they don't have a chance in hell thats what I thought about software patents to begin with), then that means that GNU might become illegal or impossible to enforce.

In the long term this case could be very important to the future of the freesoftware movement.

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2003 18:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm... I'm not so worried. There is only one person in the world who thinks it's unenforcable, and his opinion is suspicious. If the GPL is invalid, then every other EULA is invalid - and the whole process of accepting a license with a download is dodgy.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 08, 2003 22:52      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in kicking them in the nnnnutz!

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2003 21:02      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every arguement SCO has made so far is invalid, they are a dying breed just trying to stay awake. It's like a kid arguing with his parents about someting that his parents have a firm stance on, the kid just can't win. Neither can SCO, that is if the general populous of the world has anything to say about it. The again... look at who the elected world leaders are. :-O

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 11, 2003 15:49      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I care, because if somehow SCO actually win (and although I know most reckon they don't have a chance in hell thats what I thought about software patents to begin with), then that means that GNU might become illegal or impossible to enforce.
hmm, interesting that bit about GNU becoming illegeal. Then Linux would be pirated worse than Windows because every one already has the source.
Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
trillianastra
Mini Geek
Member # 1526

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2003 06:35      Profile for trillianastra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not worried about SCO at all. I'm worried about Micro$loth. I mean, it is M$ that is funding SCO's war on Nix, after all. They're(ms) also gearing up right now to attack the general security of Linux by buying another 'study', and there's a hell of a lot of room to mislead those not in the know there.

I, for one, will be following SCO news until the end, if only to feed my conspiracy theories about M$. They may not have much of a legal leg to stand on, but with M$ money in their pockets, does that really mean anything?

Posts: 80 | From: Bad Place TM | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2003 10:32      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by illuminatus:
Then again... look at who the elected world leaders are. :-O

out this christmas, 3 great games!

there's "i haven't acluedo". that's right! you too can try to become president of the usa!

or maybe you'd like a go at "monopoly". can you make a so-so operating system into a world beater by crushing smaller companies, and using dodgy business pratices? and remember, don't wash too much!

or for the brits give "kerplunk" a go. hours of fun seeing how many bolts you can take out of the railway system before it falls apart.

make this christmas a christmas to remember! available in all good kitchen cynic shops.

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2003 08:12      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RMS and Linus on the stand? I don't think this is just about IBM and linux using code they accidenttly released in their own versions of linux or any contract that IBM may have violated, I think it is an afront to the Free Software Foundation and to the freedoms that the GPL was intended to insure. If they lose, Linux won't become completely closed source, juat that the offending code will have to be removed, a licence for the offending parts be purchased and possibly remove the restrivction that all derived work retain the GPL scheme. Pair this with the RIAA and governments e-music witch hunt and you can see darker days ahead. I suggest anyone follow the SCO case to read the book THE CODE and other laws of cyberspace.
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2003 08:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once the code is revealed (and it will have to be at *some* point), it will be written around in clean room fashion in a matter of hours...even if it's a little less efficient, it will be done, and SCO will no longer be able to pull this nonsense.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9344 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2003 09:08      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the so-called SCO Unix code is relatively recent, how could anyone prove that the SCO code wasn't ripped out of GNU/Linux and bunged into SCO, with an added copyright mark?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2003 16:32      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything I've seen so far has indicated that SCO is technically incomptetent. The supposed "copied code" leaked from one of their presentations was free for the taking from an earlier UNIX variant. I'm surprised they've lasted this long without someone pointing out that the Emperor has no clothes.

I don't know whether Microsoft really is bankrolling this, but it's certainly aimed at hurting IBM. IBM is going all out for Linux, and if Linux is damaged tangibly or via FUD, they have a lot to lose.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
trillianastra
Mini Geek
Member # 1526

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2003 18:50      Profile for trillianastra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know whether Microsoft really is bankrolling this..
Possibly. Even likely.

Can anyone explain to me why people would invest that kind of cash into a floundering company that is (to paraphrase Linus) 'using the judicial system like a lottery'? The experts, both technical and legal, have thrown down the bullshit flag on SCO's claims. SCO has avoided showing this supposed 'stolen' code, as one might avoid the plague. They have lied, waffled, dodged, and whined their way into the courts, and if litigation were swifter in this country, this would've already been thrown out.

I can only think of three possibilities here: 1)some group is pulling an enormous pump and dump scam, 2) some group has a severe case of anal-cranium rectitis, and is completely unaware of the reality of SCO's position, or 3) some group(M$ springs to mind here) doesn't mind spending a little(for them) cash on shoveling some dirt the Linux community's way.

The third possibility seems the most likely to me, esp' when you take into account SCO's migration incentives, and the recent M$ PR campaign against Linux.

--------------------
"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity."-Heinlein

Posts: 80 | From: Bad Place TM | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture