homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » School remodel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: School remodel
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted October 06, 2003 20:37      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been ranting about the remodeling job on our high school for a couple of weeks now, so I think I'll just share my anger with you lot about this.

The door 'area' of each room in the building is now painted either green or yellow on the inside and lavendar or red (Easter-ish, except for the red). Right next to the door, there is a column of three tiny windows. I didn't even know people actually made windows that tiny, but what's worse is that have tiny blinds too! Tiny blinds! On the opposite wall there are two square windows that don't even open. The stupid gits forgot that humans, unlike Gates, need to breathe and cool themselves. Plus, as you're leaving the classroom there's a big EXIT sign. I think it's fairly obvious that the door you came in through is the door you should go out through, especially since you can't excape through the window [Roll Eyes] !

Our school colours are blue, silver, and gold. I guess they thought, "hey, why not paint part of the school gold? You don't see gold often enough on buildings, so why not try it now!" And this was done. The whole upper East Wing of our school is now coated in a yucky gold. What's worse is that that same upper wing is jutting out the side of the school at less than a 90-degree angle with MARINER in big blue letters on the sides, looking quite out of place as you can imagine.

The West Wing doesn't have that - the whole second addition is slanted, as is the hallway connecting the two buildings that make up the West Wing. The front corners of the building are the high points, and then the walls just slant downward from there.

I just don't understand what they had in mind for our school. It's like a huge mound of a-symmetry with a gold block stuck to the side straight out of "Feng Shui For Dummies." Maybe they had some secret design contest for five year-olds. How cruel.

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kt Smith
Mini Geek
Member # 2293

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 06, 2003 23:53      Profile for Kt Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...at least now you have a reason to hate school other than the people, the teachers, the subjects and the homework. Hold on, that's not a good thing at all! You could wear those 3D glasses to school and maybe it would appear as if the walls were trying to eat you. That would maybe be fun... maybe it would just be scary. Oh well. I'll go shoot myself now. Thanks for listening!

*BANG*

...Kt lives no more.

Posts: 67 | From: Mars | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2003 00:20      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you know where to get any of those nifty 3D glasses?

Oh wait, *poke* you're dead. You're even more useless ( [Wink] ).

Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2003 02:20      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey atleast your school managed to get windows, my headmaster famously managed to forget to specify that and got a brick walls for the computing lab instead (thank god Id left the year before) [Smile]

I think the idea is if the schools look bad enough, nobody will notice the poor quality lessons.

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2003 02:41      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Untill recently many of our windows wouldn't open due to the fact that the school had sunk quite a bit after construction (built on a swamp)

You know those indoor waterfalls?
There was one in my history room whenever it rained.

There are many indoor rooms - that is rooms that have a hallway on one side, a different hallway on the other, yet another hallway on the next side, and another classroom on the other, allowing for no natural light at all.

To get from some of the fire stairs outside, you have to walk down the fire stairs in a protected compartament, walk out of the compartament, then walk back in 5 feet later under the stairway to exit. Smart.

To turn off the gas in the science rooms, we also need to turn of the electricity, meaning that the gas is always turned on to be played with.

We have a new "cashless" lunch system. It makes your transaction (authorizes your ID) over 802.11b. Smart. I didn't even need to "hack" it. I took my ibook out, turned on a packet sniffer, and saw everything going on in less than 5 minutes (I did this before the ID's were actually issued - they are still using cash now but the registers still communicate)

We have a beautifull auditorium. It also turns out to be the drainage from the athletic fields. It's right down a hill by all of the athletic fields, and there's a drain outside that offen backs up. They never bothered to tar the outside of the building under the ground level or to drylok the inside. It is always flooded or a risk for humans due to mold.

So far they have been "working on the gym floor" every day. Whatever that means. I saw them using a chainsaw on it.

I don't think you're the only one with a sucky school.

SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2003 06:21      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes but amity has to win an award for most F'ed up school system. from the feces infested water of the jr high to the plumbing that just doesnt work period of the high school we have more problems than every other school put together. you didnt even mention our drunk of a superintendent

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2003 06:52      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. Don't talk about the drunk bit. That's too far. They had a glass of champagne to celebrate the fixing of the budget.

which reminds me of our 3 million dollar deficit

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2003 12:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, people at Shorewood always knew Mariner sucked. Now we have proof. [Razz]

Seriously though, my HS was torn to bits most of my first two years there. I got used to ducking around plastic to get to my locker, and having random hallways and passages shut off for construction. Taking class out our little city of portables, aka Enhancement Heights, was also fun. Oh yeah, and did I mention they were nine months behind schedule? But we got one kick-ass biotech lab out of the mess so I'm not going to complain. Grit your teeth and bear it. At least you don't have Mt. Manure right outside your cafeteria. Yet.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The green skeleton
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2003 16:46      Profile for The green skeleton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have decided my HS is like Mexico, dont drink the water, dont eat the food, dont try to talk to anybody. But instead of getting Montazuma's Revenge from the water you get Mr. Garrison's Revenge. (Yes our Vice Principal is named Mr. Garrison)
Posts: 1 | From: Suburban California | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2003 16:54      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whats wrong with mexican food?

i enjoy a nice burrito or two for when i need to do spring cleaning

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2003 18:22      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Drazgal:
Hey atleast your school managed to get windows, my headmaster famously managed to forget to specify that and got a brick walls for the computing lab instead (thank god Id left the year before) [Smile]

I think he was trying to re-create the basement or cave-style atmosphere [Razz] .

quote:
Originally posted by Tut: I don't think you're the only one with a sucky school.
Oh I never actually thought I was the only one, no one ever mentioned it.

quote:
They had a glass of champagne to celebrate the fixing of the budget.

Our staff celebrated with chambagne too when they found out we were getting the Gates Grant. On of our teachers also had an affair with our principal shortly afterwards. I guess they got a little tipsy.

quote:
which reminds me of our 3 million dollar deficit
Yeah, something like that... but I'm not going to rat about that issue - at least our teachers didn't go on strike. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2003 21:06      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your pain. I'm a parent, and extremely involved in the going's on of my district. We have about 6000 kids (district wide) and a budge of around $130 million. This is, by any reasonable definition, a shitload of money. It's around $18K per student per year. You would think that we could have hot and cold running Perrier in the water fountains, but it's not that simple.

Teacher's salaries consume the bulk of the money. They have a pretty good union and negotiate well. I can't begrudge them that, but I think tenure for K-12 teachers is not always the right answer.

Transportation takes up serveral million. At least $1 million goes to transporting kids to private schools. That's right, in NY state, if I child was eligable for bus transportation to their public school, but they choose to go to private school, the local public district must pay their transportation to the private school. In my town, that means we subsidize religious education fairly heavily.

Building repair. This takes up much more than you would think. Plus, the state mandates certain things which must be done. All I can say is that I'm happy it's not my septic tank.

So, before you take people to task about things not being as nice as you think they should be, think through the total cost of running the business. OTOH, there is absolutely no excuse for new construction which is not state-of-the-art in thoughtful design. Classrooms are now, in post Columbine America, all "lock-downable", yet that should not be obviously so. Security issues permeate everything.

So, what looks really like a "bad architecture day" might simply be modern school-as-fortress design. Of course, it might, equally likely, be a school board out of touch with what matters. It is up to the tax-payers to make sure they get the best possible from their schools. It really does work that way. You do, however, have to participate vigorously.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2003 03:17      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our case, it was that last one.
Not only was every board member incompetent, they were also embezling money. Then the 3 million was discovered, we had no budget for a year, my dad got on the board of education, all of the old board members were forced to leave, and were replaced. One of the old board members stole incriminating documents about himself and ran with them, being chased by the other board members. He ended up runnign into the librrary right next to the police station.

At our Jr. high [we have 2] we constantly had somethign going into out well and dieing, giving us E. Coli in the water often. Also the roof is collapsing there.
I don't know too much about it, but at the other Jr. high there was some big issue involving oil seeping into the ground.

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture