homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » FOOD!! PIZZA!! I WOULD KILL YOU ALL FOR CHOCOLATE!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: FOOD!! PIZZA!! I WOULD KILL YOU ALL FOR CHOCOLATE!!
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted June 30, 2003 07:15      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as you can see i'm a little stressed! i'm on a diety thing coz i've realised i'm way over average compared to my friends in weight, so i'm not eating a lot. i'd like to do it properly though, does anyone know any good weight-loss things? (that don't involve ratty milkshakes!)
oh dear, i've dragged you into my teenage angst, sorry bout that! [Smile]

love from the (empty) biscuit tin, WonderSpoon [Wink]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
iCoach
Geek
Member # 2141

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 07:16      Profile for iCoach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Popcorn...
Fills you up, but there isn't much to it.
Or do what I do and don't eat breakfast...

--------------------
Never upset a goalie - getting punched with a blocker is not a pleasant experience - facemask or not.

Posts: 164 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 08:25            Edit/Delete Post 
Eat raw veggies, air popped popcorn(no butter!) peanuts,almonds,cashews etc... drink plenty of water. And do what I HAVEN'T been doing exercise, be it a walk around the block even.

And remember breakfast IS the most important meal of the day!

Oh and a handfull of m&m's or a solid chocolate bar are not that bad of choices if you want chocolate.

But most of all don't stress over how "other people" look !

IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 08:48      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something to think about is to eat two breakfasts- one at lunch and one at breakfast. Cereals are very low in fat. They can also be used to snack on.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 08:54      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Find some exercise that you enjoy doing, and then do it for 20 minutes or so at least 5 days out of 7.

Why? Because if you sit around all day, the stuff that controls your appetite tends not to work very well, and you can feel hungry when you are not.

Drink plenty of water. Most people do not drink enough water, and you can mistake thirst for hunger.

Eat sensibly (5 portions of fruit/veg per day) but eat well. Good food should satisfy you so you will not want to eat too much of it, unlike faddy diet rubbish.

Avoid drinking as it tends to make you feel hungry.

Aim to try to change habits so weight stays off.

Be happy!

At your age (15), this will probably get you back.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 09:07      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ice skating is good. You're getting a good workout without realising it. If you have a rink near you that isn't over-crowded with yoofs trying to get off with each other, I'd use it.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 09:20      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spoongirl:
as you can see i'm a little stressed! i'm on a diety thing coz i've realised i'm way over average compared to my friends in weight, so i'm not eating a lot. i'd like to do it properly though, does anyone know any good weight-loss things? (that don't involve ratty milkshakes!)
oh dear, i've dragged you into my teenage angst, sorry bout that! [Smile]

love from the (empty) biscuit tin, WonderSpoon [Wink]

Spoon,

I've got a question. How is your weight as compared just to the average, not to your friends? That is what you should be thinking of. Also, bear in mind that what people think is an average or healthy weight really isn't. An average and healthy weight is often higher, and sometimes surprisingly so. I went into the doctor was stunned to learn that at 5'4.5" with a medium build, I should be between 135 and 155 pounds. I would have guessed I should have been about 125. I grew up with the "100 pounds plus 5 pounds for every inch over 5 feet" rule and didn't know it was wrong.

As for losing the weight, eat sensibly and don't rush yourself. Be healthy about it. Nutrition is important and weight taken off slowly has a greater likelihood of staying off. I have a hereditary tendency to put on weight and if I don't watch what I eat, I pack the pounds on. I had put a lot on, but I've lost it and kept it off with only a few pounds fluctuation by changing my eating habits. Lunch is a salad loaded with veggies, with a little cheese for calcium and grilled chicken for protein. At dinner I watch my portion size. I've also all but omitted snacking. If I crave something, I give into it, but in moderation. I will admit to having a bag of dark chocolate Hershey's Kisses in my desk. I eat a few once or twice a week and don't feel guilty at all.

But also be happy with yourself. That's key. Don't let other people or unrealistic images of what you should look like dictate how you feel about yourself.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 09:29      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes and one more thing - get out of that biscuit tin. [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 09:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sitting down for your meals helps. And eat a real meal. I've found that I snack less if I eat more for lunch.

NOt that I can talk...I have some of the most pathetic eating habits around, especially suring the school year. My best advice is just to get out and be active. If you aren't used to exercise, start small and simple and work your way up.

Also, talk to your family doc. They know how to guide you through this safely.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 11:08      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drink plenty of water. Snack on fruits and veggies instead of the other stuff if you feel the urge. Run a mile every day (or 3 days/week if you're too out of shape).

If you have some sort of control over your meal schedule, try having meals when you get hungry, not when they are scheduled (but no more than 3 a day). Maybe with an apple thrown in to adjust things.

When running, it is very important to be properly hydrated, loosely dressed, and wear a pair of running shoes (not cross trainers or whatever). Trust me, I accidently forgot my running shoes one day and my legs complained severely for the next few days, and I was a decent runner at the time. Warm up before running and cool down after. This should all take 20-30 minutes, so you can slip it in the morning or just before dinner or shower or something. Running can make a meal or a shower much more satisfying.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 12:32      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Water, water, water! I cut WAAAAY back on my pop/soda/sodapop intake and starting having a glass of water whenever I wanted a pop. I still have one once in a while, but not the 3 or 4 a day that I had. When I'm sitting at the comptuer (which is a lot [Smile] ) I drink water instead of snacking on junk and drinking pop. I also cut out all the junk food (potato chips, etc.), and I've cut way back on my intake of sweets/dessert-type things. I still have a few potato chips here and there, and sometimes I break down and eat a whole can of Pringles, but I'm trying to eat all the junk food with greater moderation. I lost 15 pounds just doing this, and I didn't even exercise.

Exercise is a different story. I'm currently on a DDR workout. I enjoy playing Dance Dance Revolution, so I try to play it at least twice a week (it's been hot outside so it makes it harder to go and purposely sweat). I've also taken to long walks on the beach which are good for body and soul...they play double duty as exercise and meditation time. I finally fixed my bike tire, too, which (hopefully) means I'll be riding my bike a little more often.

Now I need to see if I can disipline myself to start lifting weights. Ugh...if I keep my goal in mind (of being a buff chick-magnet in a VW Bus), I may be able to pull it off.

And of course, I couldn't leave without reminding you of the most important thing: if you're looking at the obsticles, you've taken your eyes off the goal. Keep your eyes on the goal!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 15:02      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have tried Atkins, but I personally can say it did not work for me, because I gained all the weight back and then some. Right now I am eating Special K with the dried strawberries for breakfast and supper, with a regular lunch meal. I didn't loose the weight as fast as they claim, but I am also not following it as strictly as they say on the box. The weight is comming off; I lost 12 lbs in 6 weeks. I have an ice cream craving so I buy the weight watchers ice cream bars. When I dont eat ice cream for a snack, I eat fruit in between my meals, oh and I drink a glass of grapefruit juice with each meal. No more soda.

It is inexpensive, I don't feel deprived, I am loosing weight, and after I reach target, I can monitor my weight and if I start gaining again, I just start eating cereal for supper again.

I sometimes have to cheat when my wife wants to go out, or if we end up eating supper at family or freinds, but if we are at a restaraunt, I try to order a salad. My wife also likes the IHOP, so I take her about 10:30, consider the meal brunch and not eat a meal until supper. If I eat something between, it will be fruit.

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 23:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend travelling through South America, staying and eating in cheap dives.

After a few months of almost constant food-poisoning, all thos unwanted pounds/kilos will just melt away !
[Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2003 00:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, it wasn't exactly melting...mass was conserved in my case. It came off me and went down the drain.

Fortunately, I had a handy bottle of Cipro that set things more or less to rights.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 01, 2003 08:10      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my friend went from a ginourmous keg to a 6 pack in 6 weeks using an ab roller properly 20 min each nite. they are really difficult, but they work. as soon as i have $30 im buyin one

also, doctors say it is better to snack all day (on healthy things) than to only eat three times a day, but large meals. so eat smalle portion scattered to only when you are hungry.

third thing, drink wheatgrass juice. its the most disgusting thing ever, but a 2 ounce shot is like eating 3 servings of fruits or veggies. because it is so damn healthy, your body does not crave vitamins adn other things it needs, so it doesnt tell you that its hungry, if you drink a lot of it, you can have an empty stomach and not feel hungry, lowering fat/calorie/carb intake. you can find this at most smoothie places, and places like (including) jamba juice. its about $1.50 a shot, and usually comes with an orange chaser

thats all i know about staying healthy

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2003 08:31      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
californiarockr you could do an infomercial. One of those really cheesy testimonial things. I'm actually realy surprised if the ab roller worked that well.

The world is kind of obsessed with a certain body image which unfortunately most of the world does not have. So if you have a comfortable weight, stick with it. Because you probably won't be any happier being thin and on a diet. On the other hand, if you really really don't like your body size for one reason or another go ahead and try to lose some. For my part, I've lost a bit of weight and I've fealt more comfortable with myself, granted I was more or less a fat and lazy sack of Mac using crap before. The only thing I can say is to be comfortable with whatever size you end up.

It's all in how you look at it. Some men have love handles, I have a trailer hitch.

On to dieting. Ech. It's so Calvinistic and self denialy. Specific diets are generally flawed in that they don't take into account different metabolic speeds and the atracting power of pizza. Drink lots of water, and if you can do so without feeling deprived, try becoming a vegetarian or vegan. It can really help. Oh, and that excercise thing too... I'd do it but then I'd have to move and exert effort *shudders*

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2003 08:37            Edit/Delete Post 
Not when you're a junk food vegetarian like me and not doing it for health reasons [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Punk Rawk Poet:
........and if you can do so without feeling deprived, try becoming a vegetarian or vegan. It can really help........

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2003 08:47      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my sister on being a vegetarian -
"It's not that I love animals, it's just that I hate plants more, and want to make sure they die equally."

[Big Grin]

Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2003 09:14      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the insanely unhealty 'memory diet', which is the one where I eat when I remember to (a terrifyingly rare occasion). I tend to not notice hunger unless I check for it, and will go days on a couple bowls of cereal before I notice that I'm starting to get strangely weak...

In general, though, Eat Lots of Cereal. 's quick, 's easy, 's healthy. And drink Lots of Milk. While it is somewhat fattening, it contains Delicious Calcium...

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2003 15:05      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Coffee, even my short term memory isn't bad enough to forget to eat! Wow! Hrm... I'd imagine that'd expidite weight loss, though.

I suppose I could shorten my short term memory (at least temporarally), but my method would probably backfire and give me the munchies. [Wink]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 04, 2003 08:20      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, i forget to eat too! i collapsed *proud nod* and if thats not forgetful i don't know what is. oh yeah, it was twice. no, shouldn't be proud. sorry. anyways, i already drink lots of water, and eat fruit instead of chocolate, so i dunno what i can do.
i weigh *whispers* 8 stone, but all my friends are like 6 and a half to 7. is that normal or what?

from the tin, Spoongirl [Wink]

--------------------

evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2003 09:53            Edit/Delete Post 
If the Conversion Table I found is right 8 stones = 111 lbs, far from overweight! It sounds like your friends are underweight if anything 6.5 stones = 90 lbs and 7 stones = 97.9

quote:
Originally posted by Spoongirl:
hey, i forget to eat too! i collapsed *proud nod* and if thats not forgetful i don't know what is. oh yeah, it was twice. no, shouldn't be proud. sorry. anyways, i already drink lots of water, and eat fruit instead of chocolate, so i dunno what i can do.
i weigh *whispers* 8 stone, but all my friends are like 6 and a half to 7. is that normal or what?

from the tin, Spoongirl [Wink]

Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2003 11:46      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on your height, but ye gods if you are average then put some weight on! You'll freeze to death come winter! hell the closest female friend I had was 9 - 10 stones (bounced between the two and didn't look remotely fat. Then again say smeg it to proper weight guidelines and go with what you are comfortable with [Wink]
Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrMachineCode
Alpha Geek
Member # 609

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2003 15:41      Profile for MrMachineCode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Set meal times are an artificial and arbitrary constraint invented by the same people that brought us concepts like alarm clocks, "work" and Mondays. Don't let them subvert you!!! Eat when you're hungry, even if it isn't a meal time. Don't eat when you're not hungry, even if it's lunch time. If you don't feel like finishing all your meal, you don't have to. I eat whatever the hell I want, whenever I want, but I don't eat more than I want/need to either, even if there's food left on my plate. The only time I ever gained weight doing this was when I was on medication, and when I stopped the medication I started losing that weight.
Posts: 314 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2003 08:30      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a little bit on the short side . . . no, wait, sorry, vertically challenged is p.c. isn't it? ho hum. i'm about 5 foot 2, possibly 3 posssibly 1. what does that mean then? i don't have real prse (personal social religious education) lessons any more, and to be honest at my old school, they were basically brain-washing lessons so that you wouldn't have sex (don't make me go into what they were like!), or re-teaching you stuff about christianity that everyone already knew. but now at this school, we're old enough and wise enough to know all about that (?) so we don't learn it any more. so if someone could find an average weight/height/age chart i'd be much obliged. [Razz]

love from the biscuit tin, Spoongirl

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture