homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Beer = a pain the next morning (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Beer = a pain the next morning
cryptOrchid
Geek
Member # 2249

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2003 17:40      Profile for cryptOrchid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dad and I are always arguing about which is better, coffee or beer. So... he had to spend the whole of yesterday drinking nothing but divine coffee.... and I had to drink nothing but stinky, euuuuuwwwwww tasting beer [Mad]

We finally both concluded that COFFEE was the SUPERIOR. His reason, he didn't feel like shit in the morning after(but I did)

--------------------
I can't answer that without more information.

Posts: 130 | From: space | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2003 20:36            Edit/Delete Post 
I used to drink beer sometimes years ago... and I don't know why (to be socialble?) - never liked the flavour. I do rather like cider, though, and wine's not bad either. Then again, I rarely ever drink any alcohol - and not enough to do anything to my head.

I've never woken up with a hangover, though, and I don't ever plan to [Smile]

IP: Logged
Matt Mayers
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2003 21:35            Edit/Delete Post 
ive only ever consumed large amounts of alcohol once in my life.. and that was last new year's eve. i felt perfectly fine the next morning... i think people make a hangover seem worse than it acutally is.
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2003 22:50            Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends what you drank, how much food you ate and if you drank plenty of water. I've had a few nasty hangovers in my 20 years (not all legal) of alcohol consumption, all the result of drinking hard alcohol. My wife and I took a giant thermos of cosmos to a party a few years ago. Cosmos are basically 90% alcohol and go down too easy. It was an outdoor party, I ended up hugging a tree, resting in the fall leaves and finally puking up chunks of cheese and spinach dip I had ate earlier into a waste basket next to the bed (we stayed at the home of the party host, thank god I made it in the waste basket). That hangover lasted 2 days and I can't drink cosmos anymore without feeling ill ! But I've only been hungover 1 more time since that night.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Mayers:
ive only ever consumed large amounts of alcohol once in my life.. and that was last new year's eve. i felt perfectly fine the next morning... i think people make a hangover seem worse than it acutally is.

cryptOrchid
Geek
Member # 2249

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2003 01:01      Profile for cryptOrchid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I used to drink beer sometimes years ago... and I don't know why (to be socialble?) - never liked the flavour.

Cherry flavoured beer would be nice... one can only hope. Then maybe the hangover In the morning would be well worth it.

--------------------

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2003 05:42      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get cherry flavoured beer, as well as others. I beleive that they are generally belgian.

Anyway, in my opinion beer wins. By a long way.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2003 05:47      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm saying nothing about the drinking session where I was introduced to espresso chasers...
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2003 07:23            Edit/Delete Post 
As long as cherry and beer don't go together in the same awful way cherry and coke are meant to go together (they don't) :-) Then again, I don't like coffee either. I'm just an oddball...
ph34r teh fluf1bun1
Geek
Member # 2245

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 28, 2003 08:36      Profile for ph34r teh fluf1bun1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that Belgian cherry beer. Very nice. I also like cider. Only problem is that in Sweden there's another beverage called cider... It's basically like fruit soda with alcohol. And every time I order cider that's what they offer me. [cry baby] Like which cider do you want? Peach, kiwi, strawberry etc. *horrible*

Lucky you uilleann who live in Great Britain...

Posts: 241 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2003 09:13      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive had what amounted to a coffe hang over, then again with less than 3 hours sleep a night and 2 very strong coffes every hour I shouldve expected some bad side effects.

On the mention of beer, ales rule! (imo they taste alot nicer than conventional beer/larger) I prefer Newcastle Brown (being from the NE of England what do you expect?). The best bit about being at uni in scotland is the interesting array of ales avaliable [Wink]

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2003 11:45      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
/I/ would always choose coffee to beer. However, I strongly dislike beer. If it were coffee versus, for example, burbon or champagne, then the preference is not so clear-cut ('specially with champagne... mmm...). I've always wanted to try what is known as 'Irish Coffee', that is, coffee and whiskey. Oh, the possibilities...

Anyway...

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2003 14:44      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then again, I rarely ever drink any alcohol - and not enough to do anything to my head.

Uilleann that is an awful thing to admit. You don't have to get blind drunk regularly or even once, but you should do something (bungee jumping, wild sex, white water rafting, mud wrestling sheep) that turns off your mind with its incessant questioning of everything, and allow yourself to be slightly out of control and a simple animal for a few hours.

It would do you no harm.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2003 22:17            Edit/Delete Post 
wild sex with a non-thinking head? You want me to end up a father by mistake? :-)

As for activities of any kind - I plan to remain sober for them, merely feeding of atmospheric mood for emotional energy.

schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2003 00:02      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a fan of both beer and coffee, but without moderation either can cause trouble. I must admit, as of lately beer has become a lot less appealing. I've been drinking a beer or two every day (i live in an apaprtment with all women, and people often stop by and bring beer. not that i am complaining). For years i was vegan and had my coffee black, but recently i discovered that you can put cream and sugar in coffee (far from a monumental discovery-i'm sure y'all knew about this years ago)-and it's damn good! but coffee can give you the jitters, especially if you haven't eaten.
Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2003 00:07            Edit/Delete Post 
There are plenty of non-dairy creamers out there to choose from that are vegan friendly (yes I know some non-dairy products still have milk derivatives)

quote:
Originally posted by schnurren:
........For years i was vegan and had my coffee black, but recently i discovered that you can put cream and sugar in coffee (far from a monumental discovery-i'm sure y'all knew about this years ago)-and it's damn good! but coffee can give you the jitters, especially if you haven't eaten.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2003 10:42      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
wild sex with a non-thinking head? You want me to end up a father by mistake? :-)

As for activities of any kind - I plan to remain sober for them, merely feeding of atmospheric mood for emotional energy.

The most important things in life, like birth, love, or death, while we can struggle to comprehend them are beyond the grasp of intellect. Nothing that is worth doing can be done without some risk. To become fully human, there is a point at which you have to leave reason and control behind you for a while.

To steal from W Shakespeare, there are more things in heaven and earth, Uilleann, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2003 10:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coffee or tea. But EtOH in any amount makes me quite sick before it even hits my brain so that's my bias. However, both can be pretty rough on an empty stomach.

The EtOH thing sucks sometimes, esp. since I like the taste of Jamison Irish Whiskey.

quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
quote:
Then again, I rarely ever drink any alcohol - and not enough to do anything to my head.

Uilleann that is an awful thing to admit. You don't have to get blind drunk regularly or even once, but you should do something (bungee jumping, wild sex, white water rafting, mud wrestling sheep) that turns off your mind with its incessant questioning of everything, and allow yourself to be slightly out of control and a simple animal for a few hours.

It would do you no harm.

Yes. You need to let go. Drinking is popular because it's easy. Since I can't drink, I turn to climbing the mountains and playing viola in community orchestras. It's not so much a turning off as tuning out. When I'm wrestling with a nasty Beethoven lick or slogging up a slope I'm not thinking about bills, classes, family stuff, and all the other unpleasantries life has to offer. I can't. I need all my concentration to either hit the right notes or put one foot safely in front of the other (on a glacier this is not as easy as it sounds...).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
cryptOrchid
Geek
Member # 2249

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2003 11:50      Profile for cryptOrchid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think water would be a safer option... u can't get drunk, it's healthy... and it tastes like uhhh... water! (which aint 2 bad) [Wink]

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2003 19:35            Edit/Delete Post 
Uh... if you are all really bent on fixing my life, then why not try solve real problems in it instead of making up new ones for me to fix? I don't really know if any of you have a clue what you're on about - even if you are right, they're just words - words with no connection to implementation of solutions - no realistic idea going on of what any of this is about. There's enough wrong already that I don't need you making up more problems for me - I can do that myself if I feel the need.
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2003 20:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going outside for fresh air is a problem?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2003 21:54            Edit/Delete Post 
What, you think I can partake of all these grand activities in my back garden? Of course getting fresh air isn't a problem. You never said that fresh air was any solution, though, so what's your point?

Yes, I can go on to explain what's really up, but I'd just get a wave of clueless answers from everyone (based on far too many false assumptions I'd guess) until I can explain it sufficiently for anyone here to understand, and once I clarify and ask how their ideas fit with reality, everyone shuts up. So it's really not worth bothering with you people over this.

But I didn't start it this time - you all did - making up fictional problems for me. I don't need that.

schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2003 23:23      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with uilleann on this one. Choosing to abstain from drinking does not necessarily imply missing out on a great, new, intelligence enhancing view on the world.

It seems that some folks are insinuating that he needs to experience more, or to enhance his life. If that is the case, and if he is searching for new meaning, the worst place he could look for meaning and fulfillment is in alcohol.

I do drink, but in a social way. When i am frustrated with the world as it is, I, like Xanthine, choose to hike or read or do some activity that puts things into perspective, not takes things out of perspective.

Perhaps there has been a mild misunderstanding in this thread. I don't think anyone would push a lifestyle change on a fellow GCer, and I also don't think anyone meant their coments as criticism. Can we all raise our glasses of coffee, tea, beer, absynth, heroin, water, milk or what have you and say cheers?

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 01:45            Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think they were pushing alcohol at all - I hope they weren't, and they certainly wouldn't be understanding how I can work with and use a place's existing atmosphere/mood, without any need for alcohol. It's not a problem of needing alcohol - it's a problem of acceptance, and moreover compatibility - and trust. Having people to explore anything with - just because I spend time with anyone in real life doesn't mean we ever get on, and that does wonders for one's mood.

I thought they just had this idea that I had no life (which is probably true) and that, for whatever reason, doing all sorts of crazy outdoor things was in order. I'm not a particularly outdoorsy person, though. What I do now (computing crap) isn't a bad thing at all, but the problem is that, for it to be effective, I need a cause. A good example was the Geek Culture photo album site - the visitor level etc. gave me a reason to continue - usually with stuff I stop caring about anything as there's no real sign that anyone's involved (if I even bother to post something online). The answer, to me, isn't wild, crazy sex or white water rafting, but to be part of a computing community where I can have a use at last, and find people compatible with myself.

It's a people/involvement issue from whatever angle you look at it. But then again, this isn't a particularly important issue in the end - least of my worries.

Anyhow...
*fills a glass with Coke*
*raises it to schnurren's*
Cheers!

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 02:22      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Schnurren, perhaps I did not make myself clear. I was not trying to push a lifestyle change on Uilleann. I would however suggest that his prediliction for endlessly analysing everything, while an asset in the logical, problem solving, self contained cyber universe, is of more limited utility in the messy business of living. As I don't know Uilleann, I have not proposed any specific change, but I believe that his Spock like determination never to let go of his rational mind could limit his horizons. I say all this as someone, who in the past has had much the same criticisms himself, and who now still tends to distrust his instincts more than is good for him! [ohwell]

I will not persue this any further as I know Uilleann likes to be treated formally and gets upset when the conversation gets slightly personal, and the point has been made.

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 03:45            Edit/Delete Post 
No, I got annoyed for the reasons given above, plus - I don't think you really know who I am, nor how life works for me, and all these suggestions are either incomplete, unworkable or just plain misguided. I have a lot of frustration inside, and to see so much misguided effort only brings my frustration foremost - you're happy to ramble on for ages about all the above, being your invented views of what's wrong with my life (with no real idea what you're talking about, or no idea how any solutions are meant to work (it's not a zap! there it is! approach)), but if I put a real problem to you, even if I present it merely as generic debate on life, I either get totally blanked, or loads of totally clueless nonsense. The misdirection is most frustrating - misutilised effort and concern.

Yes, any suggestions of changes will only make me feel negative (as solutions generally seem to more effort than they're ever worth, and they're all bloody scary), but if you people had a clue what you were talking about, I'd at least only be depressed, instead of actually pissed off (or, I hope I would).

The other source of frustration, if anyone gets close to the truth, is when I look at all the ramifications for the suggestion. Again, it's a people thing - I don't see myself doing any of this real-life stuff alone (too bloody scary), and maybe I could do it with Chris - maybe not - we don't really... click... that well, really. Nor would I want to initiate anything, and I doubt he would - he's not the kind of person I'd need to spend time with for any of this to work.

I suppose there is some truth, Callipygous, there - I do wish people would shut up and leave me alone, but only because they're just making me more miserable with all their crap - offering me unattainable views of the world. When people shut up and fuck off, I can be very calm and content, chilled, happy. But I still need a cause, and in my case, being a computer person, one of that kind. As I've said, I'd like an excuse to build another satellite page for GC. I even made a topic about it. 0 replies. Surprised? I was, but in retrospect, it wasn't surprising in the least. This community is totally the wrong place for any involvement in projects with each other - no-one has the time or cares. And then they all tell you to get a life. You think I'm going to sit and grin at this?

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture