homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » School

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: School
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted February 20, 2003 18:06      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know... in general school just sucks. This, I believe, is a known fact and an accepted part of society today. We all know, probably from personal experience, that the school system (I'm talking not college here. I believe the fact that geeks thrive in college has been proven.) is unkind and unfair to people of higher learning, by which I mean you, fellow geeks.

Now, however, I have proof.

Last Thursday, I went on a "field trip" to an architectual competition, missing a day where nothing happened in any of my classes except for discussion / lecture / likewise. I was supposed to have a quiz in English, so I showed up early to school on Friday to take it. My teacher told me that we didn't have a quiz Thursday, so I just had to hand around school for 45 minutes before class began. No biggie, I had things to do.

That day in English we also had a test on Emerson (yes, I knew about it). Now, if you don't know this guy, he wrote all this philosophy about nature, spirit, etc. As you can imagine, this test was fun. However, there were five questions about Trancendentalism that I had no idea about (these were in a section called Identifications... usually specific persons / places / things in the assigned reading). However, these questions were not in the reading!

When I finish, I look at my friend (who also went to the competition) to exchange a look of "oh my god!" when my teacher comes over and hands us both a sheet titled "Facts about Trancendentalism" listing all the information we needed to know for those five questions.

Now, what do you think? Granted, I didn't ask the teacher if she had given the class a sheet, but we've only been given one other sheet in that class ever and the information on the sheet was not on the test. My teacher, on the other hand, had 45 minutes in the morning to find me, PLUS I talked to her for five minutes before school. I think she's a tech-hater.

... looking for validation.

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2003 18:37      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
trans what now?
[Smile]
(King of the Hill reference when peggy teaches spanish at the catholic school [Wink] )

Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 21, 2003 10:31      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I obviously missed the refrence... [Frown]

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2003 12:35      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How has this teacher's behaviour towards you been on previous occasions? It might be a bit unfair to judge her just based on this one incident (though it does indeed seem pretty remiss and thoughtless of her)... have you sensed any previous hostility?

What sucks about school is that there are teachers who resent smart kids... at least, this has been my experience. One of my English teachers dislikes me intensely, as once or twice I have known something she has not, or I have corrected a piece of information on a sheet she has given... I thought I was being helpful. I guess not [Frown]

Then there are those teachers who think they are always right... even when they are not. It's impossible to argue with them, or to discuss alternative theories to the ones they might hold... this pisses me off incredibly... even if I am wrong about something, I'd like the opportunity to discuss and argue over it with a teacher, and find out why I'm wrong, for my own edification. Isn't the whole point of education is to be able to assess the validity of a variety of ideas, and to come to your own conclusions, rather than to be spoon-fed?

Some teachers don't know anything. This is not an exaggeration. My mother is a teacher, and she has come home with horror stories about work colleagues who don't know the differences between its and it's or your and you're... or some staff members who don't even know how to do simple division and multiplication without a calculator! It amazes me that such people can be permitted to teach...

There are, however, some great teachers... and when you find someone truly inspirational, it can make school a fascinating place to be - you know the type of teacher I mean: they let you call them by their first name, and get really emotional over their subject and make up raps to help you memories the Periodic Table [Wink] Those are the sorts of teachers you remember for years afterwards.

But not everyone's lucky enough to get one of those teachers... instead they must suffer under an eejit who may as well have bought their degree online [ohwell]

sky

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2003 19:38      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking of getting this for my stupid technology/shop teacher:
 -

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture