homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » sarcasm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sarcasm
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 26, 2002 21:26      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some people don't get it... especially geeks in general... its very annoying when the sarcasm is obvious and its misunderstood... that's about it

I leave you with some Jonathan Swift...

quote:
from _A Modest Proposal_
I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.

--Hungry Jack

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 26, 2002 22:14      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sarcasm? Here? [Roll Eyes] What do you mean? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2002 11:57      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what a worthwhile post this is.

(and my favorite when someone starts talking about sarcasm: "A sarcasm detector... that's a real useful invention.")

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2002 17:16      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Johnathan Swift quote was part of his tirade against the Irish Potato Famine, wasn't it? *thinks it was... but can't quite remember, and can't be bothered to Google for it* [Wink]

Sarcasm is particularly difficult to get across in text, I think, as you don't have intonation and facial expressions to help you get your point across. Most of the time, though, getting sarcasm is a matter of common sense and reasoning... not that I have either of those qualities [Razz]

sky

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2002 21:45      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between fascetious and sarcastic??

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2002 14:52      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Facetious
1. Given to wit and good humor; merry; sportive; jocular; as, a facetious companion.

2. Characterized by wit and pleasantry; exciting laughter; as, a facetious story or reply.

Sarcastic
Expressing, or expressed by, sarcasm; characterized by, or of the nature of, sarcasm; given to the use of sarcasm; bitterly satirical; scornfully severe; taunting.

Sarcasm
A keen, reproachful expression; a satirical remark uttered with some degree of scorn or contempt; a taunt; a gibe; a cutting jest.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2002 16:09      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...that's a more pleasant definition of facetious than I ever associated with it. [Confused]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2002 09:36      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
What's the difference between fascetious and sarcastic??

code:
{f,a,s,c,e,t,i,o,u,s} - {s,a,r,c,a,s,t,i,c} =
{f,a,s,c,e,t,i,o,u} - {s,a,r,c,t,i}=

{a,c,e,f,i,o,s,u}
- {a,c,i,r,s,t}
---------------
{f,o,u}

The difference is {f,o,u}.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted December 31, 2002 14:55            Edit/Delete Post 
{b,a,h} ;)
IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2002 21:27      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Game! [Smile]

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 01:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
That Johnathan Swift quote was part of his tirade against the Irish Potato Famine, wasn't it?

Yes, it was - although it's more satirical than sarcastic. But then, as Aristotle said, satire is merely educated insolence. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lizzle
Geek Larva
Member # 1914

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2003 21:19      Profile for Lizzle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm I always have problems when I use sarcasm with particularly stupid people. I'll say something really obvious or dumb and mean it sarcastically but they'll take me seriously... then what do you do? ARGH.

--------------------
Quando omni flunkus moritati! -- When all else fails, play dead!

Posts: 29 | From: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2003 00:11      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always get people asking me if i'm being serious when i say something sarcastic. Apparently i don't sound quite sarcastic enough. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2003 07:53      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lizzle:
Hmm I always have problems when I use sarcasm with particularly stupid people. I'll say something really obvious or dumb and mean it sarcastically but they'll take me seriously... then what do you do? ARGH.

what you do then is playing along with what they think you were serious about just for your own amusement

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2003 12:08      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it is annoying when people don't get sarcasm, people who are always sarcastic or perhaps innapropriately flippant are also quite wearisome...

<digression>
Anyone seen American Beauty? Well, if you have, then you'll know that Annette Bening's character is just about as sarcastic as you can get... and it annoys the hell out of everyone (err... Kevin Spacey and Thora Birch), who are just looking for her to show some sincerity for once...
</digression> [Razz]

sky

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2003 12:26      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by skylar:
While it is annoying when people don't get sarcasm, people who are always sarcastic or perhaps innapropriately flippant are also quite wearisome...

referring to anyone in particular, sky?? [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------

skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 05, 2003 13:11      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*whistles, twirls her hair and looks at her socks*

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2003 14:28      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, sky-pm me if you're still around

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 05, 2003 16:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not me! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2003 02:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:

Yeah - I knew somebody like that once... what a great guy! [Razz]

(I mean - innapropriately flippant? - those two words just don't go together!) [Wink]

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2003 04:48      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it time for your FA meeting??? [Wink]

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2003 04:56      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Isn't it time for your FA meeting??? [Wink]

Yeah - but I just couldn't be bothered to go. [Razz]
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2003 05:02      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a requirement of your parole?? [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2003 05:08      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, who cares? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture