homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Fellowship of the Ring (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fellowship of the Ring
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 19, 2001 08:42      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was great, fantastic, well worth taking time off work for.
Great pictures and music, actors really fitted the parts well. I did not see the time go by at all. I will be going to see it again.

Now I have to wait another year to see 'The Two Towers' aaaarrrgggghhh!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
JainDough
Geek
Member # 950

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted December 19, 2001 12:39      Profile for JainDough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
best..movie..ever.

Well not the best but at least #2 on my list. Excellent actors, the elves were friggen great and all the members of the fellowship and merry and pippen and...

i can usually find at least ten things that could be better in a movie but this one only has a couple and they were minor.

i'll wait until saturday to go see it again, just to make sure i didnt miss anything

note: for all you LOTR purists out there (ok i'll admit i was one) P. Jackson does take some liberties with the script but nothing that detracts from the story.

------------------
hell is other people -Jean Paul Sartre

Posts: 148 | From: united states | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted December 19, 2001 13:31      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the movie too violent that I can't take my nine-year old brother to see it with me? I sure hope so...

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eponine
Highlie
Member # 548

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2001 13:59      Profile for Eponine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They had to do some compressing, naturally, otherwise the movie would have been twice as long... I wouldn't have minded, but the general public prolly wouldn't like that. Unfortunately, they cut out my fave character, Tom Bombadil. I think the actors and the characters matched well, too, to my surprise. I was really doubtful about Elijah Wood. But he did it. Now I WANT that soundtrack!
Posts: 745 | From: Midwest, US | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
JainDough
Geek
Member # 950

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2001 18:12      Profile for JainDough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, i must say i was nothing short of amazed at how great elijah woods was as frodo, i was expecting him to suck big time, even though i normally like his acting skills.

TheJacob-
it depends on how mature your little brother is. i too have a 9 year old bro and i'm still debating whether or not to take him, however i think i wont. Granted its fantasy but this aint harry potter. Plus as much as i'd like to convince myself my brother will follow in my geeky footsteps i think some parts might be on the dry side for the avg. 9 year old (not to mention the time factor, its nearly three hours long)...

------------------

Doc Holliday
Highlie
Member # 598

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2001 20:02      Profile for Doc Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew Woods would be great...Didn't any of you see that epic tour-de-fource The Faculty?
Posts: 517 | From: I'm right behind you!!! | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2001 21:21      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just tell his parents it's too violent so you don't have to spend half the movie explaining what's happening to the little bugger.
Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 20, 2001 05:18      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Excellent* job (in general) of making the characters' relative heights appropriate. There were only two places where it was casually obvious (to me) that it was faked.

I also liked the little details, such as dirt under the fingernails when they're in council.

There is one aspect about which you must try really hard to suspend disbelief -- fewer people than you can count on two hands fighting against a swarm of orcs, and only one gets killed? (of course, this is not the screenwrite's fault.)

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2001 08:20      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uruk-Haî you mean, get it right

Have to re-read the book to find out exactly how many there are supposed to be, but the Fellowship are all heroic figures after all.
(In D&D terms I have seen 7th level fighters take out 20-30 orcs without breaking into a sweat).

I thought that the combat scenes were great. There you are thinking Legolas looks and acts like a wimp (for want of another word), then combat breaks out and whoa!
Does anyone else think that they might have speeded up the scene when he fires off about 5/6 arrows in as many seconds?
Trouble was that I found myself thinking in 3rd Ed terms a couple of times.
*Nice feat, wish I could have it.*
*Hey two-sword fighting*

My major problem was that when they started to speak in Elvish it was not subtitled in English and I had to suddenly resort to reading the French subtitles, totally jarred me.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2001 10:26      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Random thoughts from the Digital Wizard:

Well, I'm glad the geeks seem to be in general agreement with me... This was a great movie.

Now, it's probably been 30 years since I read the books (there's another project! as if learning linux/unix/OSX, RealBasic, and perl at my age isn't enough...), but everything I saw rang true, and familiar. I will see it again, probably earlier in the day (went to a 10:30pm show after work), so I can pay a little more attention to the details.

The more I think of this, the more I think that this is going to be the true epic movie of this generation. (Star Wars 4-6 being the last epic movie). Star Wars 1-3 won't stand up to this.

Three hours? That's nothing, wait for the directors cut on DVD collectors boxed set in 2003 and watch all 3 back to back!

Oh, and how much do you love Arwen? Just the way they presented the elves is awesome... the Elvish language (and the overall attention to the pronounciations - just listen to Hugo Weaving say "Mordor" and "Isildur"...)... Legolas' archery skills... jeez... I can't say enough good things about this... I HAVE to go see it again!

OK, I'm an effects FREAK and I just didn't even see the effects in the movie. Oh, I knew they were there, to be sure, but it must be the best effects integration ever. Like for example, I'm sure they had to do a lot of bluescreen for like Galdriel's palace, but I just didn't notice them.

OK, gotta get back to work... maybe more later...

Digital Bill "the Grey"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eponine
Highlie
Member # 548

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2001 14:13      Profile for Eponine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only noticed the effects in one place: when they were in the mines in Moria, and they were fleeing from the bal-uruk (or whatever it was)... I could tell the view of the Fellowship from the top of the mine was computer generated... other than that, it wasn't obvious to me at all, and I could happily pretend it was all real.
Etherblade
Geek
Member # 360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2001 14:28      Profile for Etherblade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eponine:
I only noticed the effects in one place: when they were in the mines in Moria, and they were fleeing from the bal-uruk (or whatever it was)...

It was a Balrog, actually.

Man, I just saw the movie. Not many words describe this, I'm afraid. I'm not a good movie critic, so I'll just add another huge thumbs up to the ever growing pile already printed on here. And no, young children probably shouldn't see this. Being stabbed in the eye with an arrow isn't something 6 year old children should learn how to do.

Etherblade

Posts: 192 | From: Shiznit, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
kormoc
Geek
Member # 706

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2001 16:33      Profile for kormoc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One nit, and my bro picked this up, the elves used recurve bows, not long bows. Long bows are much cooler and much harder to shoot.
other then that: worth the ticket and then some...for the nine year olds, one parent in the show had a nine year old, and she kept up rather well.
I also loved grandof
how ever it's spelled

Posts: 100 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
EddieKatz
Mini Geek
Member # 1004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2001 07:01      Profile for EddieKatz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I'll post my rant here, since I put my review in the other forum.

I loved Lord of the Rings. Let me just say that upfront. Moria was perfect, though Tom Bombadil was noticably absent.

My LOTR viewing experience was mared only by the group of uber-idiots sitting behind my friend and I. Now, my friend has not read the book and really didn't know much about the plot going into it, so she really didn't appreciate the running commentary provided by the ass munchers sitting behind us. The few times I heard them, I shushed them, but my friend heard them the entire time and was spitting mad by the end of the movie.

So, for everyone out there who's read the book seven times (as this waste of space claimed to) and can't fathom that there are people in the world who haven't read it (which totally confused the afore mentioned waste of space, saying that sort of "lifestyle" had never occurred to him), PLEASE keep your enthusiasm in check and wait until AFTER the movie to discuss it.

Posts: 52 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2001 07:12      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to see it, the word was put around the theatre that anyone talking or having their mobile phone go off would be thrown out of the theatre by the other members of the audience.

At one point in the film, someone made a comment, to have nearly everyone else in the theatre tell him to shut up.

We made sure that everyone in the theatre knew that we were there to enjoy the film and NOT have some idiot give a running commentary. Hey it worked.

Eponine
Highlie
Member # 548

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 21, 2001 08:04      Profile for Eponine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I went to see it together. We did the running commentary thing with each other, but kept it quiet enough that no one else heard. Besides, the volume in the theatre was so loud that Chris and I could hardly hear each other.
EddieKatz
Mini Geek
Member # 1004

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 21, 2001 08:58      Profile for EddieKatz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Swiss. When I see it again, I will make sure that everyone knows from the beginning that those caught disturbing the peace will face my wrath (or something like that).

annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2001 09:21      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it last night, and really enjoyed it. Two thumbs up!
I loved Gandalf, he was hilarious.
Incidentaly, wasn't Isildur's sword supposed to be reforged? Or did I miss the part where they did that?

------------------
the world will have to end someday; hopefully not while i'm around.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
EddieKatz
Mini Geek
Member # 1004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2001 11:33      Profile for EddieKatz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh my god, you're right! And that was a really big deal in the book.

I am a disgrace to geekdome that I missed that

Doc Holliday
Highlie
Member # 598

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2001 13:41      Profile for Doc Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the Hobbits first enter the city of Bree did anyone notice a fat beared man turn and look toward the camera. I may be proven wrong but I think that was Peter Jackson himself.
Posts: 517 | From: I'm right behind you!!! | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Etherblade
Geek
Member # 360

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted December 21, 2001 15:53      Profile for Etherblade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, as a magical weapon conniseur, I was horribly disgruntled at the fact that the movie didn't have a Kick Ass Sword©. There was a Kick Ass Dagger©, but Anduril (The name of Narsil after it was reforged) was indeed missing, as far as I know.
Posts: 192 | From: Shiznit, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
JainDough
Geek
Member # 950

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted December 21, 2001 18:30      Profile for JainDough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EddieKatz:
So, for everyone out there who's read the book seven times (as this waste of space claimed to) and can't fathom that there are people in the world who haven't read it (which totally confused the afore mentioned waste of space, saying that sort of "lifestyle" had never occurred to him), PLEASE keep your enthusiasm in check and wait until AFTER the movie to discuss it.

one of the main reasons i saw it at 11:30am, no one in the crowd but all the uber-geeks who cut work/school/exams ::averts eyes::
to see it...

i'd hate to be the one to ruin such a good movie for someone else. So as you can see my justifiaction for leaving school to see it was purely the well-being and enjoyment of others

------------------

homesalad
Geek
Member # 938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2001 22:16      Profile for homesalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright one more rant out of me.

Why didn't Sam look into the mirror in Lothlorien? I thought it was a very important bit of foreshadowing in the book, and I'll be curious as to how they deal with it in the upcoming movies. I was also somwhat dissapointed with the end. It didn't leave you hanging as much as the book did. I mean c'mon, they saw Sam and Frodo on the opposite shore!

Okay, enough from me. I'm going to see it again...

Posts: 220 | From: On The Road... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
octothorp
Assimilated
Member # 339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2001 13:20      Profile for octothorp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the big thrill was seeing Tolkien artist John Howe's interpretation of middle-earth brought to real life--as a kid I loved the calendars that he illustrated. His illustrations determined how I formed middle-earth in my mind so this movie is visually exactly the way I would want it to be. Great casting throughout, and the hobbits are very convincing--you forget that there's any camera trickery in making them appear smaller.

I'd say a definite no to taking 9-year-olds. They won't get freaked out during the movie, but it'll give them bad dreams for sure. I remember that the book was enough to give me nightmares at the age of 12. And there are some very creepy moments in this movie that really stick in your mind--where Bilbo suddenly lashes out and hisses at Frodo (Ian Holm, or when they're running through Moria and there's orcs coming out at the ceiling and down the pillars. And of course the Nazgul, who were actually only really scary when they were on horseback.
Anyway, the standards for judging this film are different than for others--sure it seems great now, but will this movie (and its siblings) stand the test of time and 15 years from now still be one of the greatest fantasy films ever? It's certainly off to a good start.

Posts: 361 | From: calgary, alberta, canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2001 20:33      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by annie:
Just saw it last night, and really enjoyed it. Two thumbs up!
I loved Gandalf, he was hilarious.
Incidentaly, wasn't Isildur's sword supposed to be reforged? Or did I miss the part where they did that?

I don't think you missed it, it wasn't mentioned. Perhaps that's to be covered in the next movie?

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture