homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » It's so cuuuuuuuuute!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's so cuuuuuuuuute!
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 17:57      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fedex delivered my iPod today! I'm in love with it! I got the 40Gb model. I was tempted to get it laser engraved (while Apple is still running their free engraving promotion) but I couldn't think of anything to put on it that wouldn't hurt its resale value if, god forbid, I should want to sell it in the future. The only thing I dislike so far is that I'm quite afraid to touch it. I don't want to put any fingerprints on it. When I ordered it I thought that the case that comes with it would be fine, but now I'm considering purchasing one of the clear cases that act as protective "skins."

So, how many people here have iPods, and what do you think of them?

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 18:58      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the new 3g 30GB unit... I love it... I had the original 5GB the day it came out. They're just so... um... organic, or something... they just feel right and work the way you'd expect.

I take mine on my workouts, and in the car (via the Belkin auto dock adapter), and prettymuch everywhere... I've even copied DVDs to it to watch on the road (uses less power than running the DVD drive)...

Apple just got it right.

=DB

... now where is the iPad

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 01:50      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on my second, after falling on the first when skating. It's engraved with:
"You are the music, while the music lasts" which is a quote from somewhere. I wonder how many have
"If music be the food of love, play on"

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 02:38      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 1G 10GB version, and one of my colleagues has a 3G 30GB. I prefer the 1G model, there's something wholesome about a scroll wheel that moves (or am I still a bit of a ludite?), but the dock and extras on the 3G do make it a more complete product.

I think it's the only thing I own which would be instantly replaced if it stopped working.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 02:46      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
I'm on my second, after falling on the first when skating. It's engraved with:
"You are the music, while the music lasts" which is a quote from somewhere. I wonder how many have
"If music be the food of love, play on"

From 'The Dry Salvages' T.S. Eliot
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 05, 2003 05:58      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O wow I want one!! I have a friend who has one that takes really great photos. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 06:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
O wow I want one!! I have a friend who has one that takes really great photos. [Embarrassed]

Um, I'm confused - we're talking about an iPod here - they don't take pictures. Or are you speaking of a scenario similar to DB, about storing pictures on it?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 05, 2003 08:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
/me ordered one for Nitrozac, ... the 20 gig, inscripted... it arrived yesterday too! [Happytears]

OMG, what a gorgeous thing. And the packaging and detail is just incredible. Apple is off the Insanely Great scale when it comes to this... [hearts]

Posts: 8170 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 05, 2003 09:06      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one for Jess for Mother's Day this year. The 3g 30GB version, with an inscription.

Very cool, sounds nice. I hate the OS, though. What a pain-in-the-ass lousy friggin OS. I have never seen such a stupid, counter-intuitive way to design a system. I hope they change OS vendors, or radically re-think them. It ruins an otherwise beautiful product.

Oh, but the iPod itself is pretty neat.

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 05, 2003 10:52      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love mine.... accessorizing it is my task these days.

I have the 15 3G model. Have the Belkin Car Charger... love it and highly recommend it. I have two carry cases... looking for a more sportier one now. Second docking station for my studio stereo system.

I'm probably going to get the Belkin Media Reader next.

TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 16:09      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
OMG, what a gorgeous thing. And the packaging and detail is just incredible. Apple is off the Insanely Great scale when it comes to this... [hearts]

God yes. The cube box alone got me all excited when I saw it. Every little thing inside thrilled me to death. Brought it to work today. Listened to an audio book all day long. Works beautifully. The only thing was the earbuds got a little uncomfortable by the end of my shift. But not as much as you'd expect. I guess tommorrow I'm going to bring my Bose Quiet-Comfort 2 headphones with me. They are the type that fully cover your ear, so should be much more comfortable (not to mention I need to get my $300 worth out of them.)

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 16:57      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
I bought one for Jess for Mother's Day this year. The 3g 30GB version, with an inscription.

Very cool, sounds nice. I hate the OS, though. What a pain-in-the-ass lousy friggin OS. I have never seen such a stupid, counter-intuitive way to design a system. I hope they change OS vendors, or radically re-think them. It ruins an otherwise beautiful product.

Oh, but the iPod itself is pretty neat.

-WS

http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 20:25      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend that you do get a case for it. I have a 10 gig model that I didn't get that long ago and now it looks like it's been to hell and back. It seems even looking at it will cause scratches, especially on the back chrome.
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 20:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or do what an old friend of mine did - she put it in this cute little blue sock. It was the most innocent thing - you'd never suspect that there was a 5 GB MP3 player in there, and it was soft and protective. Granted this probably won't work to well for the guys around here, unless you're, umm, man enough to walk around with your iPod in a sock. Obviously, it wouldn't have to be a pastel blue sock [Wink] , and it could be put in a pocket or briefcase, with the headphone cable just protruding.

*sigh* I guess I'd have to use iPodLinux, as I just confirmed (er, quickly Googled) the fact that the iPod does not play Oggs. Right now, I just listened to a really great Ogg file that I ripped (I was blown away by some of the fine details I heard [though perhaps MP3 could have equalled it, it's just not open]), and I'm listening to another one now. Ogg support is kind of important to me, and well, portable music players actually aren't (the portable HD nature of it would actually be worthwhile to me - particularly given its newfound USB2 support). If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a small piece of electronics, it's going to be on a relatively high quality (i.e. 5 MP) digital camera, as photography is a hobby of mine, and I'm using a pitiful 640x480 camera right now. But hey, it was convenient for taking pictures of a HD I hacked today :-D.

/me parts, while the following command still runs:
$ ogg123 -v rob_dougan__furious_angels.ogg

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
somnabulist
Geek
Member # 2403

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 05, 2003 22:40      Profile for somnabulist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First Gen iPod-5 gig with the actual moving scroll wheel. It used to be my dads, and he didnt take great care of it. Its quite scratched, the LCD flickers and cuts out briefly, and its buggy (OS X doesnt always decide to let me mount it). It still works, though, and the battery lasts quite a while still. It is one of the better lasting products ive bought. I have dropped it on concrete on multiple accounts, and nothing broke. The only thing that is broken is the headphone jack. I have broken it is so many places that I have to hold my headphone plug in the correct position with the correct pressure for it to work. [Frown] .

BTW: I can get a new cover for mine and replace the LCD and headphone jack, (plus they might throw in a new battery), but it would be cheaper to buy a 3G ipod.

also, i like to place mine on the table, put two fingers on the scroll wheel across from each other, and spin the iPod really fast. Looks and feels cool, but really scratches the back. [Frown]

Posts: 109 | From: in the chair | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture