homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Trying to make an OS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trying to make an OS
Deltib
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1478

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted June 28, 2002 02:22      Profile for Deltib   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone help me out here, I need information, Mainly about BIOS stuff, big indepth technical stuff, I also need good explanations on how to understand the big technical indepth stuff. I'm sort of a lone person and I'm not much for doing courses, so I want to try and get any information I can for free over the net. So far I've learn't assembly and programming for the intel IA-32 architecture processors, and all that info I managed to get off the net, free. I'm thinking if I can get that sort of stuff why can't I get some simple BIOS info. At the moment I want to know the basic general stuff, like standards and stuff, what memory locations are reserved for what, how the proceesor, chipset and BIOS (and whatever other units are used in all this) and the information I need to understand what all that means (or at least most of it, although I have tought myself everything I know about computers, I do actualy know something). Now I know what you're all thinking, it's either "I can't believe Compap and HP actualy merged" cause you're not even reading this post and you don't care, or you happen to actualy be here and are thinking "Who's this guy kidding, make an OS? on his own? and he doesn't even understand the basics of the BIOS" well, maybe I can't do it, maby it is just a pipe dream, but I'm going to at least try.

If anyone would like to give me some usfull information so that you can laugh at me hystericly when I fail, then I'd be glad to accept any: Help, Online resources or pretty much anything else that can be broken down into a series of 1s and 0s and sent over some form of advanced giant digital electrical communications network. Cheers...erm...um...go wallabies.

------------------
The F word really isn't a word cause it takes four Fs to make a word (get it? 0xFFFF)

Posts: 16 | From: Hamilton, New Zealand | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 28, 2002 03:03      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have you tried a little google searching?

www.google.com
search for "bios"
also search for "bios api", "bios programming", "bios interface" ... you get the idea.

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Deltib
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1478

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2002 15:31      Profile for Deltib   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, I have actualy searched on google before, but it was a real stretcher trying to figure out what search phrase to actualy use. The BIOS Interface one found me a nice site that has the basic knowledge that I need to get started. Cheers.

------------------
The F word really isn't a word cause it takes four Fs to make a word (get it? 0xFFFF)

MrJ
Geek-in-Training
Member # 730

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2002 02:41      Profile for MrJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The official documents often don't tell you the real story. The x86 Interrupt List appears to contain a lot of info you won't find anywhere else related to BIOS calls, based on experience:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/ralf/pub/WWW/files.html

Also it can't hurt to look at how the various open source operating systems work. Unfortunately the explanations in those usually come as comments like "The spec is wrong, this is how it actually works, and this is the hack we have to use to survive the half-assed implementation on the XYZ chipset..."

And finally, the LinuxBIOS Project may be of interest.

Posts: 35 | From: near Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Deltib
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1478

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2002 23:22      Profile for Deltib   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actualy, I just found that interrup list myself recently, although it's not making a whole lot of sence. Overall I eventualy want to get to a point where I can work without the bios for higher performance, so I'd need to know some of the standards for other things other than BIOSs.

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture