homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Remember Robbie the Robot?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Remember Robbie the Robot?
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2001 23:57      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you ever use that thing to collect money? Or do still have an old one lying around, collecting dust?
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2001 13:33      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Robbie was the 70s drink serving robot?

------------------
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted December 31, 2001 23:59      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
I thought Robbie was the 70s drink serving robot?

Robbie is the drink serving robot, Radio Shack was clever, and made Robie(one less 'b' in the spelling), who had a clever little serving tray which he would "eat" your money off of. Of course, I managed to dig up the old boy from the bottom of some pile...

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2002 15:20      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for those pics, Angry Rooster!
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
JainDough
Geek
Member # 950

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted January 07, 2002 15:53      Profile for JainDough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i first saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of Robbie from I Robot by Isaac Asimov. Guess i was wrong...

------------------
hell is other people -Jean Paul Sartre

Posts: 148 | From: united states | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2002 17:51      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Played with them many years ago, but never had one of my own.
Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2002 19:57      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Robbie the robot in "Forbidden Planet"? That's one of my all time favorites. Plus, it's one of the few films you can easily rent that have Leslie Neilson as the dashing hero, rather than the slapstick buffoon.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2002 04:02      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Wasn't Robbie the robot in "Forbidden Planet"? That's one of my all time favorites. Plus, it's one of the few films you can easily rent that have Leslie Neilson as the dashing hero, rather than the slapstick buffoon.

Do not forget Anne Francis . Yes Robbie was the robot in that film, geek film par excellence.
If you ever get the chance, you have to see 'Return to the Forbidden Planet', Shakesphere's long lost Rock 'n Roll musical.
(Take 'Fobidden Planet','The Tempest', various Rock and Roll hits and numerous ban puns on the Bard's works. Put them all into a shaker, mix well and you get the show).

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2002 05:52      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my little brother had one, I kinda remember feeding it other stuff to see what would happen (dirt, candy, cat food,etc).

It probably went to Goodwill, about the same time all my Star Wars stuff disappeared. You go to college, and your mom thinks you're done with toys,,,,,,,,

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 08, 2002 07:06      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robbie (from Forbidden Planet) was used several times in early television series. There was one (or was it two) appearance on The Twilight Zone, one full episode of Lost in Space, "The War of the Robots," I think was the title, and the last showing I've noticed was a cameo at the inventor's convention in "Gremlins."

Typical Hollywood, he starred in one picture, was reduced to doing television and then as an inside joke on a movie.
Now he's working as a Drive-thru menu at Botty-Burgers.

How the mighty have fallen!

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted January 08, 2002 16:13      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Science fiction, double feature,
Doctor X will build a creature,
See androids battle Brad and Janet,
Anne Francis stars in (woo ooh ooh)
FORBIDDEN PLANET, oh oh oh ohhhh oh,
On the late night double feature,
picture show (from the back row),
On the late night, double feature,
picture show..."

Aw gosh, I'm getting all choked up now,

------------------
cogito ergo something.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2002 20:25      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"from RKO. Oh oh ohhh oh,
I want to go,
to the late night, double feature,
picture show"

In my youth I went to many a midnight showing of that film. Ah, memories.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 09, 2002 04:47      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"In the back row"

In my youth and still today .

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2002 15:22      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sniff*

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2002 15:50      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercernary:
"In the back row"

"...fuck the back row!" "fuck the front row!" "okay!!" man alive, i need to go again soon. my l33t call-back 5k1llz are getting rusty.

joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2002 13:41      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There probably was more than one Robbie robot. There was a bot called ROB that was a pack-in with the Nintendo Entertainment System when it first came to the USA. The NES did well... ROB obviously didn't. See a pic and better info at http://nesworld.parodius.com/rob.htm

ROB had two games hat he could play through the NES and he had many small parts that were needed to use one of them. Since these parts get lost easily, a full ROB set is worth some good cash.

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pete Gas
Newbie Larva
Member # 336

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted January 31, 2002 23:26      Profile for Pete Gas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh gee, yeah, i remeber Robbie - they used them ol' rotary selectors (50's telephone exchange tech) for his plexiglass brain and...
Forbidden Planet, yeah, and I'm pretty sure he acutually had an eponymous movie to himself too ?

Oh yeah, and MEANWHILE ... as for Brad and Janet - well I was wondering if I could find a nice graphic of the Logo they had (the Flag of Transexual Transyvania I guess ?)

er, its that lightning flash thingy - I tried freezing the vid, but its hard to get a clear one - I waswondering if there was a picture that I could grab..er *borrow*<!!> it from; I made one to use in my letterhead, as I thought I'd kinda squeeze it into my, er 'branding', like

Pete G
PS (if anybody emails me, its changed to:
[email protected]
(Netscape told me I had to be somone else, sheesh !) - will try & update.

Posts: 5 | From: 14 Beresford, London, N5 2HU, UK | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Movie Facts
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2002 12:45            Edit/Delete Post 
Robby the Robot from "Forbidden Planet" also appeared one year after that film in MGMs 1957 release "The Invisible Boy".
IP: Logged
Hikaru
Alpha Geek
Member # 1142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2002 10:43      Profile for Hikaru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"fork the back row, , Fork the front Row, come on down the price is right, , the price is always right with you people"

lol I rember those days too, mercy it was fun

can you spot the hidden Domestic in this picture, , not through Janets fat back, , Fat back and chitlins, yum yum, ,
I used to raise Chitlins vicious little creatures , but their coats are worth a fortune, ,

------------------
END OF LINE _

Posts: 317 | From: AppleDale, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrMachineCode
Alpha Geek
Member # 609

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2002 12:31      Profile for MrMachineCode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have one of those Radio Shack Robie the robot dudes. That toy rocked. You could set the switch on the bottom to "on", "off", or "demo", and in demo mode it would keep doing the change eating routine over and over again automatically. I removed the battery and alligator clipped the little sucker to a 24 volt power supply and set him on "demo". Did the demo just the same, but like on fast forward, and jerkier. Actually threw the coins over his shoulder instead of eating them. Funny as hell for the 5 seconds or so before the 1.5 volt motor caught fire.
Posts: 314 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
bucketofsquids
Mini Geek
Member # 1209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2002 20:54      Profile for bucketofsquids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i always wanted the big robbie robot when i was a kid....ever since i saw it on silver spoons. seemed pretty cool having a robot butler!

------------------
i bet vladimir nabokov was never this cool!

Posts: 96 | From: spring, tx, the moon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture