homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » New Forums

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Forums
ronin
Geek Larva
Member # 2229

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 11:06      Profile for ronin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Realizing that -- as a newbie -- I have zero to little clout, I noticed something about the forums here that I found -- as a world-class geek -- to be a little disconcerting.

There don't appear to be enough forums.

While forums for anime and tech are great -- and I personally think the romance forums are pretty cool, too -- shouldn't there be forums for some of the other facets of geek culture? Video games? Music? Literature? RPG's? Sci-Fi? Any of the above?

Just a thought. I'm not even in to all of the above, but I'm a strong believer in equality for all my geek brothers and sisters.

.ronin

--------------------
"All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."

"As to abuse -- I thrive on it. Abuse -- hearty abuse -- is a tonic to all, save men of ill health."

"Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body."

Posts: 25 | From: Binghamton, NY | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 17:24      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There aren't really enough of it to substantiate it, and that stuff still gets posted, it just gets shoved into other places... ex, a rant about how aweful it is that farscape is officailly over (again) would probably go in our stupid lives...
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 18:20      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there were too many forums then it would take a long time of browsing etc. to find a topic worth posting on. I see your point, but I'm not sure it's necessary to have more forums

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 09, 2003 00:56      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree with Punk Rawk Poet that too many forums would just slow the download times unnecessarily, I would love to see a games forum to cover anything from board games to our violent video games we love so much. (Should I have necroposted another thread for this? -always wanted to do that.. just to say I have done it. [Wink] )

Just my $0.02 USDA grade A dollar

-Shadow

(Still playin Diablo 2 here on USWest... 1.10... mmmmmmmmm. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GeekAvenger
Assimilated
Member # 1895

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2003 22:51      Profile for GeekAvenger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been declared as forum necromacer on another forum.....

If all the forums we wanted were made, we would have treads coming out of our ears there'd be too many....

Now an theories forum on the other hand......

That would be good.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Geekier Than Thou. I think academically so therefore I'm a geek?

Ah the wonders of the crowd.

Posts: 485 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2003 22:54      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mean to steal Snaggies hard earned user base... This site is meant to compliment Geek Culture...

Underground Geeks

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
defiant
Geek
Member # 2225

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2003 08:34      Profile for defiant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ronin:
There don't appear to be enough forums

quite the opposite.

Have you ever watched a online community grow? There are two types of online communities, and one of them is doomed to fail:
  • The community which starts with a small number of forums, and adds new ones when there is demand (and members) for it.
  • And the one which starts with 15+ forums but never gets to the point where it has enough members to sustain so many forums.
The link which Too Cool To Quit posted points to a forum which I described. (Hint: It's the last one)

Not meaning to be mean, Too Cool To Quit, but I have watched this many times happen. If you want my advice; cut back on the # of forums. [Smile]

Posts: 190 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2003 10:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem, while we're at it, I want a biotech forum. Or a chemistry forum. No takers? Big surprise. [Big Grin]

Note: I am not being bitter. I'm only playing. And now I shall take my playful self outside.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2003 03:57      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should have an exhibitionist-lesbian forum. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2003 04:50      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd never leave your desk. [Wink]
Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2003 04:53      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there an art pamphlet called Forum?
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2003 06:03      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't know. I could never reach the top shelf. [cry baby]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
superfluous chris
Newbie Larva
Member # 2206

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted June 23, 2003 07:11      Profile for superfluous chris   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
You'd never leave your desk. [Wink]

He'd have to get more tissues *sometime*... [Eek!]

sorry [shake head]

Posts: 9 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2003 07:52      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's always the warehouse club super-size case [Wink] .

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2003 11:46      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the shop vac makes for quick clean-up.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2003 12:30      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shop Vac????!!!! [Eek!]

Wow, Qf-I'm impressed. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2003 20:29      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you start micromanaging the community, all you do is create rifts in it. You start dividing up all the users and create small pockets instead of one large diverse group.

Far better to have less forums with more users than a bunch of small, less used forums.

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2003 21:30      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've contemplated a need for more forums (usually when I have something that doesn't exactly fit in anything else), but always fall back on Our Stupid Lives and it's ilk. You can post anything in them, if you can't find somewhere your topic fits /exactly/.

Really, how many forums do you need? What if you had but one? 'twould be convenient, to my mind. Less looking about.

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2003 22:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

You''re just bragging now.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2003 23:08      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Bags not being the person who has to empty the dustbag when it gets full
[Eek!]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2003 00:45      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

Bags not being the person who has to empty the dustbag when it gets full
[Eek!]

right.....

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 06, 2003 08:13      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was actually going to come here and say something about forums. maybe not as many as ronin suggested, but maybe a place to discuss books/write creatively? the place to prove that we are many ways talented? and a rpg bit wouldn't go amiss, but thats just me and my addiction...

love from the biscuit tin, Spoongirl [Wink]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2003 11:52      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also join this this one . They need new posters. It goes well with GC. It's good to be a member of both. [Wink]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 07, 2003 09:48      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have done! but i can't get to my password bit coz i gave my school e-mail address, but i'm on work experiance at the mo, and can't get to school to get at it. [Roll Eyes]
i didn't know dualg was famous! and to think i asked him to be my pea-eating buddy... oh dear llamas what did i do! [blush]

ho hum...

love from Spoongirl [Wink]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture