homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Waaa, get a better forum... :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waaa, get a better forum... :(
Kamran A
Mini Geek
Member # 1852

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 19:52      Profile for Kamran A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A. I can't see any new topics that have been replied to, only new forums.
B. It looks...old... [Wink]
C. It's CGI, thus slow...
D. It's confusing.

If you could find a way to convert to some better forum, like phpBB or something that would rock...

Dunno, I just don't like anything other than phpBB or XMB or IkonBoard...

[Smile]

--------------------
Kamran A
[ERROR: A random error has occured, this error occurs once in a while] ~ Win 95

Posts: 50 | From: 0.0.0.0 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 20:39      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears to be php to me. But is it using mod_php and a MySQL server? That is the question.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 12, 2002 22:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at phpBB this summer and liked it, but in the end i decide a UBB upgrade was the ticket. It's not perfect, but seems to work pretty good for us for now.

There will be a new UBB upgrade shortly... please stand by.

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2002 08:32      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The forum is neither slow[1] nor confusing. If you're going to criticize it, at least blast it for relying on Javascript for many of its features (like the non-SuperFan avatars, or the preview post feature, or the login stuff at the top of the screen which doesn't show up at all with javascript disabled, ...). Or mention specific features that you dislike. Don't just say "it looks old" -- that's not very helpful.

[1]Except the search. The search just plain sucks, no way around it.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2002 09:48      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks old? I don't think so, but then again I am a plain vanilla geek... I happen to like plain vanilla things (as far as HTML/and other internet script and mark up languages).... I am sure many here do...

As for javascript, I don't know what it is that turns everyone off javascript. My only real rant about it is that there isn't a good standard... no mark for good code. You wouldn't belive the number of times bad javascript makes IE's debugger go nuts (But not the js on this site)...
I guess I just accept Javascript, Flash, JAVA and ceritan other common plugins to be the norm. I have, however been working on a new website for Game-Master.org (new site not up, same old Flash site... grrr) that will only take advantage of (maybe) PHP.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2002 11:10      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[1]Except the search. The search just plain sucks, no way around it.

LOL, yes, the search sets a new standard for "sucks."

[Mad]

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2002 11:57      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hold on . . . let me check . . .

Yep, the search does suck.

Posts: 201 | From: The Deep South, y'all | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kamran A
Mini Geek
Member # 1852

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2002 11:58      Profile for Kamran A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then I await the upgrade! [Big Grin]

Anyways, old (to me) means no graphics and only colors...

But it's just me, because I like snazzy graphics (as long as they dont take long to load!)

My only complaint is that I can't see new posts someone's replied to since I last visited...and that I can't see how many people viewed my post [Frown]

Btw, with some basic CSS, you can make these "add reply" and "preview post" buttons a little exciting [Razz]

--------------------
Kamran A

Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2002 17:13      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! Let's load it up with graphics! And Flash! An-an-and Java! Yeah! Lot's and lot's of Java will speed things up! Oh, and let's host GC from Nitrozac's home computer!

Yeah, I am highly sarcastic, but I think the forum works well. It loads fast enough for what it's doing and looks good. The search, yes, sucks.

I wouldn't reccomend switching to another forum, as UBB is one of the best... better than IkonBoard or phpBB.

Finally, confusing!?!? You're right... clicking on a button that says "post reply" is darn obscure! There should be a little 16 x 16 icon that has four arrows on it... then EVERYONE would understand it!

Sorry for tearing into you so badly, but it was there!

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kamran A
Mini Geek
Member # 1852

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2002 07:18      Profile for Kamran A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, god...leave me alone... [Frown]

And duh, really? Like I don't know that all sorts of graphics are going to slow things down. [Roll Eyes]

As far as being "better", phpBB is much better than UBB. It actually has a member list...this doesn't even have one!

Anyways, like I said, I await the upgrade...don't flame me about it. It's just my opinion...your right, it DOES work fast for what it does, so it's fine for now. I just wish I could see the new posts since my last visit...

--------------------
Kamran A

Kamran A
Mini Geek
Member # 1852

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2002 07:41      Profile for Kamran A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, as a conclusion:

I wasn't complaining, or I didn't mean to if I came off like I was. I really like the boards, I have no problem with it.

I was just saying you may want to get a more powerful board if it's in your best interest. If not, then like Snaggy said, you can upgrade it to the latest version.

I didn't mean to be so negative, that's just how I am. I like to point out flaws [Big Grin]

Forgive me mighty Geek People! [Smile]

--------------------
Kamran A

Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2002 18:05      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*whips out flame thrower*

Oh, you said NO flames...

*whips out troll gun*

[Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kamran A
Mini Geek
Member # 1852

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2002 19:02      Profile for Kamran A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*gasp* Nooo! Hey wait. What does a troll gun do? [Razz]

--------------------
Kamran A

Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2002 19:40      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trolls fear only fire and acid. If it isn't a flame thrower...

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture