homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Reminders

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reminders
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2002 22:45      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but I would love to see a reminder email maybe two weeks before my Superfan membership is about to expire. I just registered for a six-month period and I am totally afraid I am going to forget to renew it after 6 months. I don't think it would be a bother, just a little email saying "Your membership is going to expire on such-and-such a date, if you would like to renew, you can do it here:" and a link or something. I know I am a putz and the rest of you probably remember just fine, but I rebuild so many often trying something out that even putting a reminder in my calender wouldn't really work. Any thoughts?

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted November 19, 2002 23:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are of course assuming I am organized enough to not only send you the email, but to also remember when your membership expires. [Wink]

One day I hope to impliment some kind of super automagical system that still has a hint of personal-ness to it.

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2002 02:29      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when the automagical system is implemented, of course. Mostly you should be the comic-updating slave. [Wink] Do you already have a way for it to kill access to the superfan forum when memberships expire? Maybe you could feed from that somehow?
Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2002 08:12            Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering the same thing, <short-form-of-"SupportGoddess"> - I'm just assuming that it will return to my memory every so often, and I'll eventually track down information pertaining to when I paid, and then maybe memorise the expiry date, or enter it into my palmtop for safe keeping.

- uilleann

IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted November 20, 2002 10:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you already have a way for it to kill access to the superfan forum when memberships expire?

nope, it's all manual at this point.

If anyone knows of a good web-based system for keeping track of this kind of thing, let me know. [Smile]

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 20, 2002 14:05      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you write an Applescript so that everytime the person's expiration date came up in your database, it would send them an e-mail? Just a thought, I know nothing about Applescript. I'm good at coming up with ideas, not implementing them. Hey! I could be the president of a software company! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2002 15:32      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to know a bit about the inner workings of UBB to make you an automated system, but something to remind Snaggy when superfan things need to be done shouldn't be difficult.

It would probably be better if he used iCal to do this, but I could whip something up if desired. Probably with a web interface.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2002 16:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snaggy could use iCal, but he has an Anti-OS X bias. [Razz]
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2002 18:24      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, if you didn't want to think too much about it, you could just put the names of all the superfans on a dart board, and see whose membership "expires" over a few plates of buffalo wings
Posts: 201 | From: The Deep South, y'all | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 21, 2002 08:44      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about FileMaker Pro? There's a free trial version . Don't know if it would do what you want, but it's worth a look. [Smile]
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2002 17:18      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright... geez people! I've heard AppleScript, iCal, and FileMaker Pro.

Cute ideas everyone.

The best idea would probably be a combination PHP script and a MySQL database. The SQL database could store the name of the person, their forum handle, their e-mail, the date their SF subscription ends and a var field that stores a variable if a reminder e-mail has been sent.

Your PHP script would compare the current day to the day the SF membership expires and if the ending data is 2 weeks away, sends an e-mail (personalized with their name, even!) and sets the sent-email variable so only one e-mail is sent.

Then, the e-mail would also include a link to another script (or the same one with an if-then statement) that allows them to input their CC number (or however you guys have that set up) that would also change the expiration date and remove the sent-email variable.

The only downside is that the script has to be run manually, either by N&S or by a user. But that's not a problem.

Hey, you could even set up the script to change the permissions in the UBB. PHP is awesome! And MySQL too.

AppleScript, pah!

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2002 18:29            Edit/Delete Post 
There's no scheduling in PHP? Hrm, presumably as it doesn't run as a server in its own right - *pats Cold Fusion server [Smile] *

You could use some command-line program that gets files via HTTP (wget or whatever) and give the processing page to cron to run for you.

Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2002 18:45      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, I don't actually know, being as how I'm a n00b to PHP and MySQL. ColdFusion would be a good idea though.

--------------------

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted November 25, 2002 16:51            Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sure, when someone else gets to pay for it ;)
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2002 19:01      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think SQL might be somewhat overkill. A simple tab delimited flat file would do just fine for what we are talking about, and we don't need it to run on a schedule. Picture it. The PHP script only needs to run when Snaggy loads it up every morning/evening/whenever. The main screen shows him a list of people who have expired and another list of people who will be doing so in the next two weeks, and he can e-mail all of them personally as he likes to (or perhaps request that the system do it for him right then, with a sort of mail merge). From there, we also have buttons to take him to account management. The system needn't have the speed or power of a full blown database since it will be just Snaggy using it for simple things.

How does that sound, Snaggo?

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2002 18:57      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when the GC Superfan memberships come rolling in, MySQL will grow as well. As it's really not that hard. It would be ideal for this sort of thing, I think...

--------------------

Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 20:01      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a script that runs about once a day, I guess it just depends on how many members we can expect to have within, say, a year. Under 200? Might not be worth the effort to write the SQL. Sucking a flat file into a 2D array shouldn't take long for that. More than that, though, and it might be worth the effort to set up a MySQL server and write up the queries.

--------------------

Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 20:42      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
effort? It's not THAT hard...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture