homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Amazing CGI/Music video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amazing CGI/Music video
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2003 16:53      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

While visiting my folks over the Thanksgiving holiday, I happened to catch a video on local PBS station WXXI between programs. It was an astounding music video “Acoustic Curves”. What I saw was enough to make me go find the largest TV available to watch it.

It’s from a collection called ANIMUSIC. There are 7 music videos in all. Each is made up of completely computer generated images with a synthesized sound track. Wayne Lytle is the guy behind it.

The videos are amazing - each scene is full of some really neat ‘instruments’ which are synched to the soundtrack with some custom software. MIDI is used to control the sound - and it’s also used to control the animation of the instruments. You can find sample videos at their website www.animusic.com. If you’ve never seen this before, you’re in for a revelation. I've watched it several times already, and I keep finding new stuff to be amazed by. I'd like the music all by itself, but the video adds an entire new dimension.

I was so struck by the one video I saw that I ordered the DVD of the whole set and a CD which has all of the music + 3 music only additional tracks. The DVD is about 33 minutes long, plus additional footage which includes commentary by Lytle on each track, different camera angles of selected instruments in action, and images which show the design and evolution of the scenes.

If you are interested in 3D modeling, computer generated music and/or video, or just want to sit back for some entertainment, you should go take a look at this stuff. I’m tempted to take the DVD into a local home electronics store and see what happens with a large flat screen and surround sound. Pipe Dreams will blow you away; Drum Machine has to be seen to be believed; Aqua Harp is just beautiful.

I ordered through the website on Saturday; I was astounded when I got the DVD-CD set by mail Monday. (They have other format options too.) If you’re stuck for a gift for someone, this might be just the ticket.

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 04, 2003 17:39      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is...Wow [Smile]

And to all of you non-clickers...really have to see it to appreciate what is being described.

That's really well done...and I look forward to the release of the software! As a computer-generated music enthusiast with a touch of 3dsmax fever, that was awesome!

Thanks for posting the link!

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2003 01:53      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... Anyone remember "Organic Art"?
[evil]

Nice 3D stuff, though - the music ain't really my kettle of lobsters, but so what...

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted December 05, 2003 18:48      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats complex. not only do you have to compose music but they had to build and render the 3d world that could sync to it. i'm impressed.

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2003 21:33      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh yeah I saw some of those on a show on tech tv called eyedrops where they showcased a few CGI shorts every episode. Not sure if the show is still running or not, but they interviewed the guy who did it and basically he linked something like a midi synth engine to the different 'virtual music machine' animations. So once he got the 'orchestra' set up he could play any song on it, really very cool imho.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2003 21:46            Edit/Delete Post 
The band Kansas is using this too, a coworker brought this DVD in to work earlier this year.
 -

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture