homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Fish!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fish!
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2003 16:44      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here’s a neat thing for people with too much time on their hands, Internet access, and a color printer. Think of it as a fun project for the holidays, something to pass the time, an amusement for the kids, or whatever excuse works for you. Take a look here.

You can assemble your own trout! The gentleman who runs this web site loves to fish, and this gives him something to do when he can’t. He’s put together some Acrobat files of papercraft kits to cut out and glue together models of assorted trout, along with instructions.

I’ve already done one for a test, and it doesn’t look half bad. I got by with a pair of sciissors, regular paper and a half dried out glue stick - but I’m crazy. It probably would have helped if I’d printed out the assembly instructions, but what the hey!

-

While you can't really tell from this picture, the finished fishie actually does come out nicely trout-shaped in 3D. I've just done the one design so far (Amago) but the graphics are beautifully detailed.

For best results, try printing on 24 pound paper. You’ll also need a hobby knife of some kind, scissors, white glue, clear acrylic spray (flat and gloss), a working space, and some time. Oh, and make sure to download the assembly instructions too.

Pick a trout pattern and have some fun. The flat spray will keep the colors from smearing; the gloss will make the assembled fish look wet like the real thing. They also mentioned a white glue trick - put a droplet of glue on each eye before cutting out the patterns, and let it dry - it will be clear and will make the ‘eye’ look real.

Thank the December 2003 issue of Boys Life for bringing my attention to this.

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2003 19:31      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<cartman> Dude.....that is weak... </cartman>

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture