homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » RIAA Suing 12 year old girl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RIAA Suing 12 year old girl
justelise
Geek Larva
Member # 2338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2003 07:48      Profile for justelise   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The news sites are a buzz with this story. The RIAA has sued a 12 year old honor student who apparently lives in a housing project in New York City with her single mother and little brother. First a 71 year old man, now a 12 year old girl. I wonder who they're going to sue next?

Here's the story at FauxNews: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96797,00.html

--------------------
Tis folly to be wise where ignorance is bliss.

Posts: 23 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Noldoaran
Geek
Member # 2003

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2003 08:50      Profile for Noldoaran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by justelise:

I don't know if i can believe a story from Faux (fake) news!! [Wink]
Posts: 228 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2003 10:17      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, they are hoping to win her banana bike in the court settlement. There is big money in property owned by 12 year olds. [Smile]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2003 15:45      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....and a 15 year old who goes to school with me
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 09, 2003 16:59      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go RIAA! That much easier to make you look like the people you are ( [devil wand] ). Somebody in RIAA PR is strangling somebody in RIAA legal right now. Nothing like trying to run a sympathy/moral campaign with one hand and suing 12 year olds and single moms with the other.

Which brings me to a commercial I saw in the theatre the other day that made me a little sick. Had this "Set painter" talking about what great and wonderful movies he's worked on and the legacy of it all, and then he suddenly designed to bring up the issue of piracy and how it hurts the little guy like him when you do it. [cry baby] [cry baby]

Seems to me that the box office will be safe as long as they keep their prices reasonable and their product good. The music industry needs to realize this, and some of them are coming around (see universal lowering their prices 6 bucks on average). The problem is not piracy, the problem is now that there is a little competition they suddenly have to release a product people are willing to pay for as opposed to being able to bully people into buying whatever they want.

Keep it up RIAA, it won't be long before you and the DMCA are nose deep in the hairy ass of freedom. If the issue is forced I'd rather be free then fair.

Yup.

Kevin

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted September 09, 2003 22:39      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, good thing I cought myself rambling and stopped else, this post would be long and offtopic. I'm just here to say that I dont really care about the starving artist or the entertainment joke they call "industry." Thank you.

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2003 23:00      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, apparently they've settled out of court already, for $2000. And the girl seemed to have a very contrite "I didn't mean to hurt the poor starving artists" line at the ready.

I smell a setup, or at least settlement conditions with good PR for the RIAA attached.

Story is here

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2003 03:06      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder who they're going to sue next?

Perhaps some artificial intelligence? I wonder what the RIAA legal department would do with such a thing. [Smile]

"... Rampant AI downloads tunes and gets sued... News at 11!"

-Shadow
(I am not suggesting anyone try this btw. //End Disclaimer [Wink] )

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The_Psychogenius
Mini Geek
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2003 03:51      Profile for The_Psychogenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coming from a fellow musician who keeps an eye on the industry every once in awhile, I think this whole RIAA thing is rediculous. And I would not be suprised (and I have a hunch) that it's not the artists getting as much of the money as it is the record companies and PR people and such. However, at 12, I had no clue about copywright infringement, and heck, alot of the people I went to school with copied stuff out of books word for word for class reports and such, and you don't see RIAA suing kids for class report plagurisim do you? (nevermind my horrid spelling).

I think that's a harsh how they were on that girl about downloading music. Ever notice though, they don't care if it's some little local band like Lithium (one of the bands I work(ed) in), but when some multimillionaire star gets a clip saved on a 12 year old's PC, there's heck to pay.
I think this is, as one of you said above (I'm too lazy to look), a marketing thing. I've noticed that quite possibly in the end the REAL starving artists are going to be the winners if this keeps up, as I already see many friends of mine starting to download stuff from bands I've never heard of before on T.V. or Radio or anywhere but their websites.

--------------------
Chaos, and Lunacy are all good things.

Posts: 79 | From: Everett, Wa | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Noldoaran
Geek
Member # 2003

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2003 07:28      Profile for Noldoaran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Psychogenius:
I think that's a harsh how they were on that girl about downloading music. Ever notice though, they don't care if it's some little local band like Lithium (one of the bands I work(ed) in), but when some multimillionaire star gets a clip saved on a 12 year old's PC, there's heck to pay.
I think this is, as one of you said above (I'm too lazy to look), a marketing thing. I've noticed that quite possibly in the end the REAL starving artists are going to be the winners if this keeps up, as I already see many friends of mine starting to download stuff from bands I've never heard of before on T.V. or Radio or anywhere but their websites.

Good point [Big Grin]
Posts: 228 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2003 08:19      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noldoaran:
quote:

I don't know if i can believe a story from Faux (fake) news!! [Wink]
Would you prefer the Clinton News Network???
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted September 10, 2003 10:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why am I suddenly very happy I don't own a television? Since when was journalism the subject of partisanism (and yes, I made that word up [Razz] )?

If you want a real idea of what's happening in the world, read both the national and foreign news. Both are online. The things concerning the US that don't get reported in the US can be a little bit scary.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2003 12:31      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

If you want a real idea of what's happening in the world, read both the national and foreign news. Both are online. The things concerning the US that don't get reported in the US can be a little bit scary.

Any easy way to do that is to check the news on the BBC news site ( http://news.bbc.co.uk ) and select that you're viewing it from in the UK. You get a different spin on the news then [Wink]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Drax
Newbie Larva
Member # 2361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2003 20:25      Profile for Drax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know what's worse? I believe she was paying $29.95 to a service which allowed her to download music, which she thought was legal. So she was in fact paying a service to illegally download music. And the RIAA is going after HER........ why?
Posts: 7 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture