homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » uk journal (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: uk journal
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 04:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The beaches are lovely here in Oz around xmas/new year. A beer and prawns xmas lunch on the beach beats snow, turkey and cranberry sauce any day !

Any takers?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 05:50      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Famous: I have relatives in Oz who are always winding us up about how they spend Christmas morning chucking snowballs around up in the mountains before a BBQ lunch and the afternoon on the beach...

Meanwhile, in the UK it's the inevitable cold, dull, grey and boring day...

Now if I could only trust the lusers not to screw things up for a couple of weeks, quick bank job for the fare and wa-hey!

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 08:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes, grand old New York. Somehow I'm familiar with the place [Wink] . Now why is it that I don't always have the kindest words for the snow...and somehow I'm sure Jess shares my sentiments about it [Big Grin] . But sure, it would be great to have you folks over on this side of the pond for a little - bring a little more life to the place [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 10:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
geeky new year in new york

Wot, CG - more AC/DC with the TTBs from GC in NYC?

I guess it's a case of be there and be square. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 10:52      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....and don't forget to RSVP ASAP and BYOB to GC 2004 in NYC....ROTFLMAO

* I so need to get a life*

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 11:12      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

* I so need to get a life*

have a word with Spungo, he's allegedly taken a few and might have one spare?
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 12:11      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cap'n Vic: * I so need to get a life*
I still wouldn't know what to do with a life, even if I did get one...

And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure that I *do* want one - if this is *not* having a life, well, I really don't care, it's pretty damn lifelike to me... Geeks got geeks, OK, so who needs some other loser's idea of a fuggin life anyhoo?

Sorry, not sure what that was about or where it came from, just had to say it...

I'll get me coat...

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 21:02      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check out some pics here

http://www.snupy.com/photo_album.0.html

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 21:48      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looks like fun! I want to join in next time!!!

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 13:35      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do people still go drinking on Rose Street during the festival?
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 13:56      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Do people still go drinking on Rose Street during the festival?

and the rest! maswan and i had a stonking breakfast on rose street, black pudding, haggis, the works. and i can't believe how many pubs and restaurants there are in edinburgh

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 16:06      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And let me assure you that it isn't just during the festival that people go drinking on rose street!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 16:24      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drumroll, please...

-

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 16:28      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so let me guess....left to right.

little fish, snup (where is your other hand), Jess' boss??, The old git (I am guessing), Jess, Alan, Maswan

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 17:21      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's none of your business where my other hand is.

Oh, and switch maswan and cheezi git and you'd be correct.

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 17:35      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
quote:
Cap'n Vic: * I so need to get a life*
I still wouldn't know what to do with a life, even if I did get one...

And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure that I *do* want one - if this is *not* having a life, well, I really don't care, it's pretty damn lifelike to me... Geeks got geeks, OK, so who needs some other loser's idea of a fuggin life anyhoo?

Sorry, not sure what that was about or where it came from, just had to say it...

I'll get me coat...

Just sit yourself back down, Mister. [Wink]

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 17:53      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The journal wouldn't be complete without this:(the best song EVER about sex)

You Shook Me All Night Long-AC/DC

She was a fast machine
She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen [...that I, ever seen]
She had the sightless eyes
Telling me no lies [telling me my own line]
Knockin' me out with those American thighs
Taking more than her share
Had me fighting for air
She told me to come but I was already there

'Cause the walls start shaking
The earth was quaking
My mind was aching
And we were making it and you -

CHORUS:
Shook me all night long
Yeah you shook me all night long

Working double time
On the seduction line
She was one of a kind, she's just mine all mine
She wanted no applause [Taking no applause]
Just another course
Made a meal out of me and came back for more
Had to cool me down
To take another round
Now I'm back in the ring to take another swing

'Cause the walls were shaking
The earth was quaking
My mind was aching
And we were making it and you -

CHORUS

And knocked me out and then you
Shook me all night long
You had me shakin' and you
Shook me all night long
Yeah you shook me
Well you took me

You reall took me and you
Shook me all night long
Ooooh you
Shook me all night long
Yeah, yeah, you
Shook me all night long

Your really took me and you
Yeah you shook me, yeah you shook me
All night long

Oh, and a few disclaimers:

"They" will try to say I was the Yoko Ono of the Evil Disco Brothers, responsible for their untimely breakup-soo NOT true. I'm extremely hurt by this public character assassination.

I was complaining about not getting a blow dryer at cheezi's.

MISC.:

Also, someone from Ann Summers called. They wanted to ask if we knew anything about the theft of a sheep thong. I knew you were just way too eager to pose for that pic, cheezi.(What that guy wont do for a gag [Roll Eyes] )

Ask Jess about her travel-size vibrator.(Best line of the whole week, jess)

Second-best line: "I only agreed to have lunch with Hey-U 'coz I thought he was a woman".-Allan.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 18:51      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, snupy, can you bend your leg over the top of your head from a standing position? [Wink] (think AC/DC film clip)

Edit: Hey, is that really the best ever song about sex. Whatever happened to Guns n Roses "Pretty tied up" (do I hear an amen, Zorro?) [Big Grin] Or Motley Crue's "She Goes Down". Or Alice Cooper's "Feed my Frankenstein". What? Why's everyone looking at me like that? [Smile]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 27, 2003 22:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! great picture and what a great looking gaggle of geeks! One for the Geek Cultural history books!

[Happytears]

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 22:22      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here I am, back in good old NYC, USA, about to post my first solo entry to the UK Journal, with no other GCers looking over my shoulder. The truth may finally emerge! [Wink]
I do realize that my contribution to this thread has pretty much amounted to a gush-fest, and this installment will probably be no exception, but I'll try to keep the mush to a minimum...

The GC Meet Saturday night was a huge success. Maswan presided over the table in his After Y2K Abacus World Expo T-shirt (autographed by Nitrozac, natch.) Littlefish tried to continue in his role of "innocent schoolboy" (he's working on his Phd in chemistry, btw..go littlefish!) but it didn't take our Snupstress very long to uncover those piercings. [Eek!] All hands remained above the table though... pics forthcoming.
Allan and cheezi continued to wow me with their charm and hospitality, and even my friend Nanette was impressed (I think she had been a bit trepidatious about spending a drunken evening with a bunch of geeks she had never met before... I can't imagine why!) But I can report that she had a great time as well. Maybe she'll be joining us on GC soon?
Snups had to leave far too early for her train up north, and though we persisted valiantly in the absence of our spiritual leader, the party wasn't the same without her. All in all, though, an absolute blast!!! And I have discovered that there actually are some beers that I enjoy! Now I only need to find them here...

Anyway, cheezi and Allan met maswan, Nanette and me for coffee the next morning (at which time Allan awed us with his frightfully vast and detailed knowledge of this miraculous Bean.) Then we saw cheezi off at the train station, back to London. *sniff* Allan walked us back to Princes Street, then he was off, back to Germany. And then there were 3.

The Fringe Festival was really something... I saw some of the best performances of my life (Irish poet/comic Owen O'Neil and Jonny Berliner and his band were 2 standouts for me) and saw some really really really terrible theatre as well... (it couldn't all be perfect.) I think in all I probably saw 10-12 shows, not counting street performers!

On Monday morning Nanette, maswan and I went on a 13-hour bus tour of the Highlands. It was looooooong but very interesting and incredibly beautiful. Didn't see Nessie, but the tour guide made so many bad jokes about the monster that I might actually have strangled it if it had popped up! We got back to Edinburgh at about 9 pm, and we were off to The Pleasance (one of the Fringe venues... where Allan had taken us to see the Live Ghost Hunt) for more festivities! We just couldn't stop. We got tickets to see Irish comedian Jason Byrne, who immediately singled out maswan (who was wearing his GEGL - Genetically Engineered Goat, Large - t-shirt) and made him sit on a couch onstage with him for the whole show, where he made fun of maswan (and maswan gave it right back to him!!!)

After bidding farewell to maswan (till next time) and Nanette (till Thursday) my taxi picked me up at 4 am on Tuesday morning, and I finally was able to experience the joy of humping my own luggage down 6 flights of stairs. Thanks a lot guys... where were you then??? [Razz] Met snupy at the Edinburgh airport (just after I bought the gift-shop out of scotch flavored McCondoms - they're souvenirs, I swear!!!) for our 6:30 flight, where she told me that cheezi was coming to see us off before our connecting flight in London!!! We landed in London, sleep-walked through the airport, claimed our baggage, re-checked our baggage to Philadelphia, and made it through security before suddenly realizing "how the hell is cheezi going to meet us if we already went through security?!?!?" We freaked out. Cheezi was already on his way, and we really wanted to see him! So we got ahold of ourselves and quickly shifted into eyelash-batting mode. Snupy went off to sweet-talk someone at Information, who referred us to Immigration, telling us that there was a chance that they might let us re-enter the country. With our boarding time quickly approaching, we hauled ass to Immigration and batted some more eyelashes until an elderly man felt sorry for us and ushered us to the front of one of the lines, at which point we explained our sad story to a very nice woman who had a good laugh at our expense, but took pity on us stupid Americans and gave us immigration cards to fill out, stamped our passports, and Snupy and I were officially off on our 2nd visit to the UK! We made it to the Arrivals area just in time to meet cheezi for 20 minutes, say our tearful goodbyes, go through security (AGAIN) and board the plane.

I'll repeat what cheezi and Spungo have already mentioned: Christmas/New Years in NYC!!! All are welcome!!! I'll be hard-pressed to prove as good a host as cheezi and Allan, but maybe I can rope dman and Nanette into helping me represent the 'hood. [Cool]

Anyway, it's good to be back. But I'm sure not putting my suitcase in storage! I'll be using it again as soon as I can... [Big Grin]

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 22:41      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some pics of maswan onstage!!!
(sorry they're fuzzy... I didn't use a flash.)

-

-

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 22:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
Anyway, it's good to be back. But I'm sure not putting my suitcase in storage! I'll be using it again as soon as I can... [Big Grin]

Just make sure you give your luggage a through cleaning, you may also wankt to take it down to the free clinic so you can make sure it didn't pick up anything abroad. Gawd only knows who humped it, or who humped whoever humped it....

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 23:00      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:

Just make sure you give your luggage a through cleaning, you may also wankt to take it down to the free clinic so you can make sure it didn't pick up anything abroad. Gawd only knows who humped it, or who humped whoever humped it....
A good dousing with industrial-strength bleach should take care of that... and it'll be a lot easier to recognize in baggage claim. [Big Grin]
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 23:18      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
It's none of your business where my other hand is.

that's the funny thing. you'd never know it from the photo, but littlefish is in fact a puppet. he needs to be manipulated, otherwise he just slumps on the floor. it can be really embarassing for him because sometimes he is left for hours in a heap on the floor before some kind soul gets him going again. luckily for us an iraqi carpet (bomb?) salesman was nice enough to do the right thing, and of course once he had arrived snupy dived straight in. so to speak. and thank goodness, because littlefish turned out to be a 24 carat diamond geezer (i'll mix my precious commodities if i want).

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2003 23:23      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
WOW! great picture and what a great looking gaggle of geeks! One for the Geek Cultural history books!

[Happytears]

i'll let you all into a secret: we've made the whole think up. none of us was there at all. it's amazing what you can do with photoshop [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture