homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » uk journal (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: uk journal
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2003 08:33      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by addiew:
I don't even want to know how you know about that stuff

Maisie, god rest her soul, used that after some of the longer sessions she had with Spungo *sniff sniff*

Did they bury Maisie in Scotland? This would explain the journey to Scotland, and why poor spungo con just not get it together enough to make the trip. I'm clemping up [weep]

Say a prayer for her when you visit her grave.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2003 10:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I forgot all about Bag Balm. [Smile]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2003 00:09      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2003 04:38      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friday,

Breakfast with Cheezi, then off to find Jess and her friend. A quick coffee and some people watching while Cheezi unintentionally attempted to cuddle up with a guy at the next table. Then it was time for the days first fringe event; 'partly it's about love, partly it's about massacre' A one woman monolgue, probably deserving it's own review.

A round of beers followed, and then a quick check to see if Maswan had arrived. Then off for the second event;
American singer/songwriter Dean Friedman's songs for grown-ups, I think because he's also doing songs for kids in the morning. One of the good things about the Edinburgh festival is that you go things that your friends want to see and come out having really enjoyed something that you wouldn't have otherwise went to.

I left everyone else for a bit and met them all again after dinner. We then headed off to the Pleasance for the 'Live Ghost Hunt' very funny and a bit scary...

What a day... I slept for about 10 hours last night.

Which brings us to this evenings GC supermeet 6 GC'ers together in real life. Is this the biggest ever?

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2003 06:12      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Allan: 6 GC'ers together in real life. Is this the biggest ever?
The world holds its breath and waits...

[Big Grin]

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2003 06:52      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
quote:
Allan: 6 GC'ers together in real life. Is this the biggest ever?
The world holds its breath and waits...

[Big Grin]

...and anarchy smiles in the Royal Mile...
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2003 16:49      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
Hippies, eh?
[Wink]

animal lovers?

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2003 17:15      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
friday and it's stopped raining (called liquid sunshine here). allan cooks an amazing breakfast of smoked salmon omelette buns for breakfast. the cheez is impressed, and will store this away and pass it off as his own in the future.

off to see the cat and her boss annette. the cheez was determined to meet up with them, but allan had an evil plan. we passed a pub that had a free comedy show. the cheez was no way delaying meeting up with the others. no way. but allan whispered evil words. beer. beer. and beer. and the cheez had no defences left.

after an enjoable ad lib show we arrived at the b'n'b and then a very good show from dean friedman. nanette had waited 25 years to see dean friedman, and he was a bit like billy joel, but not as vesatile. we went back and guided maswan from the station. a 10 minute walk became a 2 hour hike. but we met up, and in keeping with the whole gc convention maswan is a splendid, toppity tip bloke.

allan came up trumps again with tickets to the live ghost hunt, a very funny show. physical comedy, with good jokes and great acting.

then home to bed.

just a quick note on edinburgh. it's the sort of place where you tuyrn a corner and there's someone balancing on a rope, another corner and there's a piper. turn another corner ( did i tell you how beautiful edinburgh is?) and there's a contortionist, or a busker.

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2003 17:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
Which brings us to this evenings GC supermeet 6 GC'ers together in real life. Is this the biggest ever?

Heh, and I've only met individual GCers one at a time. Mmmm, I think I was perfectly happy to have a much smaller gathering not long ago - so, I think the smallest gathering ever can be quite nice [Wink] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2003 12:13      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2003 12:15      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

Say a prayer for her when you visit her grave. [/QB]

say a prayer? i dug her up!

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2003 12:28      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'd just like to mention the great things that people have done on this trip.

allan went to see a man about a dog, and slipped him 50 quid to put on a massive fireworks display for us. every night. can you believe the thoughtfullness of the guy?

maswan managed to have a chat with the man upstairs, because saturday was fantastic weather, sun, blue sky. apparently allan doesn't have any sway in that department, because he only deals in the darker side of life.

snupy of course supervised everything from afar, and littlefish entertained us all. hey-u shared his sense of the darker side of humour with us, spungo did his fair share of humping (luggage), and jess kept everyone's spirits up with her good humour and sunny disposition.

actually, i'm a bit worried, because no one i've met on this trip has been very geeky. i think it's maybe time to publicise the fact that geeks are cool, friendly, generous and SOCIABLE.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2003 12:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
actually, i'm a bit worried, because no one i've met on this trip has been very geeky. i think it's maybe time to publicise the fact that geeks are cool, friendly, generous and SOCIABLE.

Oh no! Surely you lie! Sociable geeks? What has this world come to?

:wq

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2003 14:15      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duran Duran: THE WILD BOYS
[October 1984] Single
7": 1984 UK (Parlophone; DURAN3)
7": 1984 US (Capitol; B-5417)

Victory, I believe, to Mr Cheez

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2003 07:52      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i'd just like to mention the great things that people have done on this trip.

...and let's not forget the uber-cheez hisself, Master of Ceremonies and 100% all-round good-guy, although he'll probably hate me for saying so...

Ladeez and gennelmun, a big hand for the GC UK Tour 2003; here's to a re-run any time you like!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2003 10:16      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the girls are on the plane back?
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2003 11:19      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
So the girls are on the plane back?

No, they were off 'Nessie' spotting today. The Cheez had to return to London yesterday, and me to Germany. I think they travel back on Wednesday morning.
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2003 18:47      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posting from Scotland a few hours before our plane leaves now.
Saturday night was an absolute, blast! I got to meet maswan, Allan and littlefish finally. What a memorable but all too short experience. Allan is an unbelievably generous, funny and thoughtful man. maswan is quiet and sweet, and littlefish is sexy as hell. He kept trying to convince me he wasn't as innocent as he appears here, and sparks of devilish behaviour ALMOST had me convinced... We saw the first of the piercings after about an hour(you're SOO easy!)even tho I HAD asked almost immediately. 4 beers later, the last one was revealed to shouts of, "Leave the poor guy alone, snups". (Disappointingly, no dropping of the pants was involved)

In serious danger of being forced to dance to 80's music, I made my departure.

What I have to say here, is that each and every geek \i have met so far in the UK has been absolutely wonderful. I could not have imagined better, nicer, funnier or more genuine people [Happytears]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 25, 2003 19:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 - [Happytears] [thumbsup]

That is so Super Ultra Cool, maybe next year they can visit North America.

*gasp* [Eek!]

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2003 19:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, that would be cool. North America is also much more accessible to me [Smile] . I'd be game for it, if I can take a date with me (and assuming she wanted to go) [Big Grin] .

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2003 21:41      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually, we've been thinking of a geeky new year in new york. anyone interested?

--------------------

addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2003 22:20      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with enough advanced notice-- sure

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 01:51      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never experienced a white new year...much less a geeky white new year...scary

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 02:04      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"geeky white" - sounds like a new paint colo(u)r... [Wink]
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2003 02:46      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
actually, we've been thinking of a geeky new year in new york. anyone interested?

Grand idea, that. Anyone else got "Fairytale of New York" (by dem Pogues) playing in their head with just the mere thought of it? (... or would that just be me???)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture