homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » uk journal (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: uk journal
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 00:08      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so cheezi went to meet the snupstress and jess at gatwick aiport. snupy appears but no jess! shit, there was this power cut thing in the states and jess missed the flight! still, snups and cheezi got back and met up with spungo. all three together - will the world ever be the same again? snups had a nap to catch up and the cheez and spungster got stuck into the beers. then it was off to see edward 2nd by christopher marlowe at the globe. by this time cheezi was quite merry and enjoyed in very much. there were some people in front who were so into the whole play thing that the merest noise provoked a pointed response from them. the cheez didn't let that get him down, and having chatted up all the stewardesses, signed on for volunteer work, and had a few beers was in such a splendid mood that when the people in front said he was a disgrace to his family, it passed off him like a condom off a well-greased cucumber. in the mistaken belief that we were about to be thrown out of the theatre, spungo and snupy dragged cheezi away and into a pizza place, where a fine meal was had by all.

back to the cheez lair and an inspection of the latest shallow graves and a few beers, then time to crash out. the guests tucked up snugly like a well dressed roast joint, cheez crashed out.

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 09:26      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
uk journal (supplemental)

Saturday morning:

[fx: hey-U's mobile shrilling him and his freshly-constructed overhang (it's like a hangover but much, *much* more threatening) back into existence...]

Cheezi (for it is he): "Be at Borough Market at 12.30 for an audience with The Snupstress or the cute fluffy kitten gets it." (hangs up)

And so, once more casting myself to the tender mercies of the District Line, I arrive at the appointed hour, trembling with fear and trepidation (or should that be trepanation?) to meet with the legendary Fearsome Three - Cheezi, Spungo and (fanfare) Her Snupiness...

With great relief to find that they've decided to be gentle with me (*this* time...), we graze our way round Borough Market, ripping off strong coffee and lots of tasty food- type things before picnicking in the verdant pastures of the grounds of Southwark Cathedral. Much hilarity and indigestion ensues (the Snupstress has the negatives as proof positive - yes, even geeks need to eat); even managing to dissuade Cheezi and Spungo from digging up the graves, quote, "for inspection purposes... err, in the name of scientific research... well, OK, for a laugh, then..."

Then back to the great hole in the ground known as London Underground, with the parting of the ways at Bank/ Monument station (depends how you look at it); with the Frightening Three off to wreak havoc elsewhere in Da Smoke, and hey-U off home to lie down in a darkened room for a couple of hours to get over the trauma...

The serious bit:

Guys, I had *such* a great time, I can't tell you... I don't remember the last time I laughed so much...

The Joy of Geekiness is: well, many things, but having seen the Ferocious Three in action at GC over the past few months, the ground has already been covered and I now know that we all have similar frames of reference, so we could just chat, laugh, relax and have a good time. Oh, and eat... And if there's ever a vacancy in the Thread- Derailing Department, let me know and I'll mail you my CV/resume...

Summary:

The GC (London Branch) Works Outing is thoroughly recommended to all visiting colonials - the bug has bitten me (or was that one of the Famous Three?) - so who's next?

PS: Spungo's avatar is frighteningly true to life - but you should have seen the crowds moving out of his way... And Snupy *is* a pussycat

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 13:59      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was my pleasure as well, my dear Hey-U.

Jessy arrived this morning, and after finally getting out of Customs(I'll let HER tell you), the 4 of us did the town, visiting many pubs tonight and back home now to 'chill' [Big Grin]

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 15:23      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that last post was snups by the way.

so, saturday morning, the cheez rouses everyone: snups managed to finally get out of the shower, (there was a water shortage reported in the area), spungo drags himself out a of deep and evilly dark dream, and the cheez, despite one of those headaches you get from the weather (it does something to the beer), attacks the day; and in good spirits and fine fettle we amble off to the borough farmers market.

there we meet hey-u, who turns out to be a tip top bloke, and have coffees and food as hey-u has explained. hey-u has to go to give cheez to his mum (is there anyway you can't get on with someone who gives cheez to their mum?) and plan for a few mid-week beers when jess finally gets there.

the fleasome threesome toddle off to central lunnun, where the british museum presents itself as a spot-on place to visit. having seen the great glass roof, and rescued cheezi from certain death climbing the library, we all see the london 1753 exhibition, celebrating the 250th anniversary of the opening of the british museum, and describing lunnon life in the 18th century. very fascinating, especially the part on prostitution, and the collection of pigs skin condoms. then for some much needed refreshment. tanked up, sorry, with a modicum of lubricant in the system, the cheersome threesome poddle off to lewisham to stock up on provisions.

thus laden, and with malibu and vodka flavoured cordials, cheezi cooks up a feast fit for kings. garlic and thyme chicken, herb couscous, aubergine and yoghurt, and an honest salad. snups had fluttered her eyes at the tenant, who overcome had handed over some gear, and after a brave effort by the spungster and cheez at constructing an elaborate yet finally useless bong, the snupstress showed the boys how to make a toilet roll bong (the experience of that woman continues to amaze me). this was well enjoyed by all, and much merriment followed (although snupy wants to make clear that she never inhaled), accompanied by emo phillips. sweet dreams followed, in the expectation of the cat arriving on the morrow.

tomorrow the story of snupy and the customs man

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 15:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
that last post was snups by the way.

Heh, reminds me of the cookie jar mixups of a certain lab rat and dragon [Wink] [admittedly deliberate once or twice [evil] ].

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 20:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
**damn** I wish I was there too)

....Hey guys, I can make bongs out of every days items too....(I once fashioned one out of an old rubber boot...guys?? guys? You listening??

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 20:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I read about some crazy bong designs on e2. Not that I've ever had a need to build one, it was just one of those times when one gets addicted to all the links in e2.

/me urges self to not visit e2...uh oh, I'm bored tonight, and I haven't been there in about 2 months (w/the exception of a few single searches)

Edit: Okay...I made it out alive, I only got sucked in for little over an hour - I think I should sleep now...curse the addictive nature of e2 :-P.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 01:47      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I'm gonna say is, if you hear stories of me singing and dancing to ACDC's 'Shook Me All Night Long', they're all lies and the pics are photoshopped.Hmpff!

The spungster was supposed to go home yesterday afternoon, but does anyone really believe he was able to say no to the snupstress??? We all had a lovely day in London, dinner in Chinatown, and drinks at the pubs(Jess dragged on like a trooper, after having JUST landed at 11am),after which we came home and were serenaded by the Evil Disco Brothers. **sigh**We even sang Kumbaya. [Roll Eyes] I could feel the love. [Happytears] Or was that spungo?

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 05:55      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
snups: if you hear stories of me singing and dancing to ACDC's 'Shook Me All Night Long', they're all lies and the pics are photoshopped
uh-huh, ye-s-s-s, we believe you, really we do!
[Wink]

Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 16:55      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so sunday. the spungit and snupo pop off to the airport meet the cat, and finally meet up. back to lewisham and then a dash to see the london eye. spungo comments that he couldn't get it all in. something about a photo (apparently. yeah, right). then later he couldn't find the hole. then a river ride up and down the thames, with a guide who knew everything about shops and nothing about history. jess took many pictures that she will never look at again, but had a good time.

then we went to a pub and had splendid conversation, washed down with good beverages, including a pineapple juice that pleased snupy no end. spungo tried to take some pictures of snupy, and suggested he get her up against big ben. she was so disappointed when she found out that he meant the clock tower. he did however offer to ring her bell.

now, if anyone has a weak heart please do not read on.

EXCLUSIVE EXPOSE (spungo put your clothes back on)

spungo admitted to jessy that he is afraid of sheep dude, don't you have some issues to work through? jessy is an anal guru. believe it or not she actually had the snuptress agog with what you can do with beads. (JESS HERE: This is all theory and no practice!!! I assure you!!!)
can you believe that? jess teaching snupy something?

then it was back to the ol' camp fire for a jolly sing song, with snups leading the way with a rocking version of the ac/dc classic "you shook me all night long". and jess has the video as proof!

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 17:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here I was about to say how things can get boring around here when you guys aren't about [Wink] . Well, this makes my vacation sound dull by comparison, but the only thing I'd possibly have changed about it was to make it longer :-D. Oh yeah, and if it wasn't for the penguins, I would have said 'the hell with San Francisco,' and spent the whole time in Seattle.

--------------------

Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 21:42      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
spungo afraid of sheep and snupy not know about beads...so strange. Oh well, at least Bolton didn't beat Man U...still some normalcy.

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 23:02      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Fear and Loathing in SE6", eh?
[Wink]

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2003 01:21      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sunday morning, clear and bright. everyone fully invigorated from a sound sleep. snups has to catch a train later on, so we go to a place called blackheath. this is a place where overnight a year ago a massive hole opened up in the ground. they have just managed to fill it in, but i'm sure it was mentioned in revelations. the end of the world is nigh my friends!

had a great meal at a french bistro, crab cakes, mussels, steak and freedom fries, chicken baguette, croque monsieur. cheezi couldn't let the occasion pass, so informed the french waiter that blokes who spoke french made snups take off like a rocket. after that the service was second to none.

we saw snups off at kings cross on the train to edinburgh, and after tearful farewells went our separate ways. the cat and the cheez went to a greek bar in hoxton that used to be a mission for the local market, wandered around london a bit and then homewards. after a bit of gc-ing it was bed, to revive for another day.

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2003 02:42      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
"Fear and Loathing in SE6", eh?
[Wink]

Heh heh - "I thought no point mentioning these bats - the poor bastards'll see them soon enough."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2003 03:32      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back home now after a spiffing weekend. The Cheez is a top host... ( as long as you hide the booze [Wink] ) Already contemplating the next occasion now that I know Snups isn't likely to do a "Misery" on me (well, you can't have everything, can you?)

Oh, and thanks for the recreational tips, Jess - btw, how do I clean the gerbil afterwards? [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2003 03:59      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Already contemplating the next occasion...

You coming to Edinburgh for the weekend?
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2003 05:23      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
cheezi: this is a place where overnight a year ago a massive hole opened up in the ground. they have just managed to fill it in
So, have you found somewhere else to hide the bodies yet? Plenty of room left under the patio at my place...
[evil] [Big Grin]

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2003 15:58      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tuesday and the good weather keeps on coming! jess and cheezi are off to oxford to see some stuff about alice in wonderland. we went to the shop where the real alice, alice liddel, bought sweets, then topped up our sugar levels with some toasted baguettes.

then it was a tour of christ church college: the cathedral was old, and cathedrally, then onto to the dining hall where the harry potter movies were made. it's incredible to think that students sit at these long tables for dinner, with the dean and fellows at the top table. whatever happened to burnt beans on toast? there are lots of influences in the dining hall on alice in wonderland: the stairway the fellows used to exit the hall is the hole the rabbit fell down; the fire place has long-necked dogs that became alice when she ate the mushroom.

we passed by one of the 22 real tennis courts in the uk. this is a precursor to lawn tennis, real being the spanish for royal. it involves hitting a ball (made from a champagne cork, string and an outer covering) onto walls, slopes and sides. this is a bit like a tennis court put into a squash court, all built by a builder who can't measure straight lines. a walk around to freshen the ol' grey cells and back to the big schmoke.

the cheez provided food, the cat excellent conversation and a spiffing time was had by all.

by the way, jess is no bimbo! she actually brought an OS X manual for bedtime reading! what a TTB!

Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2003 16:30      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
the cheez provided food

I need to elaborate on this a bit. The cheez did not just "provide food" - he cooked a feast in about 15 minutes! Salmon, pasta in a mushroom leek garlic cream sauce, arugula (forget what they call it here) and tomato salad dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, and pine nuts, and ciabata bread.
I mixed the drinks, which involved vodka, lemonade, and a disgusting overdose of Ribena. I'll know to go easier on the syrup next time, but cheezi (bless his heart) took it like a man and drank every sugary drop. [Happytears]

I was so impressed (and quite overwhelmed) by our Oxford tour. The history and grandeur of the place made my head spin. And, being an Alice in Wonderland freak, it was quite thrilling to actually stand in the same rooms and walk on the same paths that Charles Dodgeson and Alice did.

Oh yeah... that "real tennis" is something to see! Not being much of a sports fan, it looked a bit silly (fun, but silly! [crazy] ) to me, but I was very impressed by how polite the 2 players were. Whenever a shot was missed there was no "shit" or "motherfucker" or even a "damn" - it was all "sorry" or "fiddlesticks" and one man, in a particular fury, actually spit out the word "fishhooks!!!" I believe I may have been inspired to work on taming my own truck driver mouth!

Anyway, I'd better get some sleep now, since tomorrow I finally get to meet the legendary, the esteemed... well... I'll save that for the next journal installment. [Big Grin]

/me retires to bed with tired feet and a full tummy, satisfied that she has succeeded in further trashing cheezi's rep.

Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2003 16:35      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Oh, and thanks for the recreational tips, Jess - btw, how do I clean the gerbil afterwards? [Smile]

You mean to prepare it for burial?

I have a sneaking suspicion that no mammal could survive getting that... intimate ... with your posterior. [shake head]

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2003 16:41      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fishhooks?? That is great!! I will start using it the first chance I get.

*gets up, stubs toe on corner of desk*

Fuuu... err... Fishhooks!!!

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 15:01      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wednesday:

Woken from my usual siesta in the server cupboard (Cat5 makes really good nesting material, btw - lots better than spaghetti/noodles/string) by a call from the uber-cheez: "Be at Victoria Station at 6pm or the cute little puppy with the sad eyes gets it".

And so to the seedy splendour of said station to meet the cheezmeister and JessyCat, fresh from a session of retail therapy... Then courtesy of London Underground to the fringes of computer geek heaven (Tottenham Court Road) for an alfresco tincture at a handy hostelry before heading to a kewl chill-out chamber cunningly disguised as a very nice Indian restaurant for excessive amounts of exotic and, frankly, exquisite cuisine. What more could a geek ask for? - good food, good company, laughter, much chat, laughter, gossip and laughter with a couple of his oldest friends who he's never met before and only ever communicated with via a keyboard after stumbling into the community that is GC less than 6 months ago...

Then all too soon it's time to make tracks - sadly, no tattoo parlours available en route for the etching of the GC talking heads logo into each of our cheeks (one head each side) - maybe next time? [Wink]

And back to Oxford Circus for au revoirs - I think (hope) 'goodbyes' would be the wrong word [Happytears] [Frown] - cheezi and Jess back to lovely Lewisham to pack their thermals and ski jackets ready for the long journey to Bonnie Scotland, leaving civilisation at an unearthly hour previously thought to be purely theoretical, hey-U back to the wild west (well, Chiswick...) musing on the miracle that is the internet and GC, vaguely wishing he wasn't going to be the only person left in Lunnonmate this coming holiday weekend - but somebody's got to swap out the backup tapes and update the anti-virus defs, right?
[Frown]
... and so, over to our foreign correspondents north of Hadrian's Wall...
[Big Grin]

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 15:03      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
spungo admitted to jessy that he is afraid of sheep

we have finally worked out the conumdrum. spungo likes dom sheep. he liked to play sub with maisie (rip). everyone to their own i guess...
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 15:18      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
... and so, over to our foreign correspondents north of Hadrian's Wall...
[Big Grin]

Indeed, and have we got some cuisine for them!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1021960,00.html

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture