homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Have to get this off my chest... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Have to get this off my chest...
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 15:34      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it might be silly, but something has been bothering me lately. I see it everywhere I look, looming behind every bush, peering from behind every corner. That's right, misuse of 'hopefully'.

Every time I hear someone tell me that 'hopefully it will rain tomorrow', I want to either scream and claw my ears out, say 'will it now?', or kill the offender.

Because, dear readers, 'hopefully' is an adverb. You can open an envelope hopefully, but it's a strange parcel that hopefully contains a paycheck. A sentient parcel, I'd warrant.

Examples of proper usage:
"I looked out the window hopefully"
"I hope it will rain"
"I opened the mailbox hopefully"
"I hope someone sent me money"
"I answered the phone hopefully"
"I hope everything is okay"

Thank you for your time.

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shapeshifter
Geek
Member # 2105

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 08, 2003 17:04      Profile for Shapeshifter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I no longer feel bad about nagging people on AIM to actually capitalize and punctuate.

--------------------
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying.
-Woody Allen

Posts: 152 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 18:15      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once slapped someone for confusing borrow/lend.

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 21:18      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just start shooting the offenders. That'll show 'em. [Big Grin]

As a side note, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern" is the only good thing that Stoppard has ever done, besides showing us Gwyneth Paltrow's breasts [hearts] .

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 22:47      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Coffee_geek:
I know it might be silly, but something has been bothering me lately. I see it everywhere I look, looming behind every bush, peering from behind every corner. That's right, misuse of 'hopefully'.

Uh, oh... I'm a "hopefully" offender. I will try my best to curb this bad, bad habit. Hopefully, my hard work will pay off! [Wink]

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 01:07      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope hopefully in hopes your hopefully's become hope's where hope is hope and not hopefully.

Sorry, had to do it. [crazy] [Big Grin]

(Pulls on the asbestos shorts)

-Shadow

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 12:27      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Punk Poet: I can see that. Confusing borrow and lend is truly a crime against god and man. They are opposites, for god's sake. On a related note, I have a friend from Canada, eh, who pronounces it "Bo-row", wheras most people I know pronounce it "Bah-row". Any ideas?

Jess B: For shame.

Shadow: *Attempts to light your pants on fire, fails* Damn you, and your asbestos undergarments!

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 12:39      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah-row??? Are you fscking serious??? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] People actually say that???? Too funny!

Hey, I know a guy who says brang as in "I brang my coat, in case it rains."

I gave up correcting him years ago.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
iCoach
Geek
Member # 2141

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted June 09, 2003 13:53      Profile for iCoach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, on the topic of grammatical irritations...

I am by no means a poet, nor do I profess to be one. However, I was raised in Seattle, upper-middle class, and was taught correct (American) English.

Since then I have moved to Wisconsin and everything went straight to the $h*tter. Mainly due to the influences of locals.

I offer you some examples of the local influences:
"Can you borrow me some money?"
"He borrowed me the car."
"The Frozen Tundra" - actually I think this term was coined by someone from Chicago (it refers to the stadium where the Packers play).*
"How about you and me going out to the bar tonight?"
"You free on Friday, say around 3pm - erno?" **
"Take a left at the stop-and-go lights."***

* In case the stupidity of this isn't evident, a "Tundra" is defined as frozen ground, thus "Frozen" is totally irrelevant.

** "erno" seems to be an actual word here, and has worked its way into my own vocabulary. Essentially it is negating the question, such as, "Would you like to go to a movie, or not?"

*** "Stop-and-go lights" refers to what everyone else on the planet refers to as "Stop lights" apparently that wasn't descriptive enough for Wisconsinites.

-iCoach

"Remember, stop-and-go lights timed for 35mph are also timed for 70mph" - me to a a friend

"What are these 'stop-and-go lights' of which you speak?" -friend

--------------------
Never upset a goalie - getting punched with a blocker is not a pleasant experience - facemask or not.

Posts: 164 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted June 09, 2003 14:13      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ones that I used to see on IRC all the time:

'Your welcome' instead of, ' YOU'RE welcome'

and

improper use of there, their and they're

TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 14:19      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cap'n Vic here....reporting from the Northern most GC outpost, where the Tundra is currently *ahem* unfrozen and alive with flora and fauna.

What is frozen, is the permafrost, which varies in depth depending on location, altitude among other variables

Tundra
Pronunciation: tun-dra
Function: noun
Etymology: Russian, of Lappish origin; akin to Kola Lappish tundar hill
Date: circa 1841
: a level or rolling treeless plain that is characteristic of arctic and subarctic regions, consists of black mucky soil with a permanently frozen subsoil, and has a dominant vegetation of mosses, lichens, herbs, and dwarf shrubs; also : a similar region confined to mountainous areas above timberline.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 15:06      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Coffee_geek:
Punk Poet: I can see that. Confusing borrow and lend is truly a crime against god and man. They are opposites, for god's sake. On a related note, I have a friend from Canada, eh, who pronounces it "Bo-row", wheras most people I know pronounce it "Bah-row". Any ideas?

You could slap them... It wouldn't solve the problem, and I don;t generally advocate violence, but it might feel better for a while.

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 19:50      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there's nothing I hate more than people screwing up when they type your and you're! it seems that NOBODY types YOU'RE anymore! It's always "your nice." ANd now I'm messing it up! I've even seen in on turned-in English papers and the TEACHER didn't mark them down for it! Along with it's spelled its! What is going on with society? WHY CAN'T PEOPLE CARE ENOUGH!?!??!

I read the New York Times, The Denver Post, and all these various new books that have come out as of late. ALL of them have TONS of errors in them!! Then I read old books, and they're PERFECT! It's like nobody knows anything about English anymore, or, I suppose, cares!
Okay, end of rant. Thanks for listening!

--------------------
2b(V)~2b, THAT is the question.
(And everyone already knows the answer!)

Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 09, 2003 19:59      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D0n'7 w0rry, 500n w3 w1ll 4ll 83 wr171n9 l1k3 7h15 4nd punc7u4710n, 5p3ll1n9 4nd 9r4mm3r w1ll 83 m34n1n9l355. S734l1n9 w1ll 4l50 83 4cc3p73d, 83c4u53 3v3ry0n3 3l53 d035 17. [Razz]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 5 posted June 09, 2003 20:02      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
D0n'7 w0rry, 500n w3 w1ll 4ll 83 wr171n9 l1k3 7h15 4nd punc7u4710n, 5p3ll1n9 4nd 9r4mm3r w1ll 83 m34n1n9l355. S734l1n9 w1ll 4l50 83 4cc3p73d, 83c4u53 3v3ry0n3 3l53 d035 17. [Razz]

No idea what you said, but funny all the same...

J

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 20:09      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:

No idea what you said, but funny all the same...

J

What? You're not 1337? You can use this to translate -Hacker Translator
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 20:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good work G....That must have taken you an hour to type that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 09, 2003 20:13      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Good work G....That must have taken you an hour to type that. [Big Grin]

Nope, I have hacker translator. [Razz] Never do anything yourself when you can get someone else to do it for you. [Big Grin]
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 20:30      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please clarify....you have a hacker chained up in your basement who translates at you beck and call......or is this an actual software app?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 20:32      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click the link Vic, click the link. [Roll Eyes]
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 21:04      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was afraid it was a link to a web cam running in your basement "hacker bondage chamber"

[Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

MistecMcetsiM
Mini Geek
Member # 2212

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 21:26      Profile for MistecMcetsiM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Cap'n Vic here....reporting from the Northern most GC outpost, where the Tundra is currently *ahem* unfrozen and alive with flora and fauna.

What is frozen, is the permafrost, which varies in depth depending on location, altitude among other variables

Hmm, maybe I'm not the only special olympian.

--------------------
Mistakes are inevitable, but to fear failure is the real mistake. ~Me

Posts: 79 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 21:43      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MistecMcetsiM:
Hmm, maybe I'm not the only special olympian.

There you go......that is the first step....accepting the real you [Wink]
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2003 04:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i ju5t w|5h a|| 7h0s h4xor wank3r5 wud 500n d13 - 4 sl0w, h0rribl3 d34th.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2003 06:30            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm both amused and scared by how easily I was able to read GMx's and spungo's posts.

Just_Jess_B: Seeing as that program doesn't appear to be able to decode anything (from what I can see from the site - I can't run the app here), the answer is "Don't worry, soon we will all be writing like this and punctuation, spelling and grammer(sic) will be meaningless. Stealing will also be accepted, because everyone else does it".

It's funny - as far as IRC/AIM/ICQ go, I'm getting lazy these days. The most recent cause was a certain other person who uses no capital letters or apostrophes in AIM, and it looked cute to me so I do the same sometimes [Smile]

I used to do all the u/ur-type stuff to ease on typing (my bad typing was really holding me back in fast IRC conversations and it gets stressful) but someone got upset and I finally went back to using real words for the most part (and now I, too, think u/ur/etc. look sucky). I still let up on IRC, though - I don't often bother to punctuate correctly - IRC is not an English essay and I don't need to waste the time and effort treating it like one. (Then again, one of the reasons I prefer one-on-one communication in AIM/ICQ is that the rate of conversation is under your control, so you don't freak out at all the text flying past faster than you can read, understand and type in anything fast enough (and legible enough) as a reply.

I do get put off by misspelt forum posts, though - we have time to re-read them, and edit them, so although a few errors here and there are inevitably going to slip in, posts riddled with stupid mistakes are just sloppy and careless, and to me, this reflects badly on the poster.

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture