homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Pet Peeves.....who has got 'em??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Pet Peeves.....who has got 'em???
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 12:48      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a ton. Here are 2 of mine (randomly selected).

[Mad] Those little advertising inserts in magazines that either fall out, or act like book marks.

[Mad] That fscking annoying clicking noise that IE makes when you browse, which, incidentally, I final disabled. (No comments here about Mozilla/Netscape and the like please)

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 15, 2003 13:30      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll bite.

1) People who don't read simple manuals before asking for help.

2) Websites that re-size my browser.

3) Popunders. (Yay safari/etc)

4) Answering machines.

5) Programming language wars.

Ok, I think that's enough [Smile]

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 13:35      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my favourite is where you read a brochure etc and it has a web address, so you go to the web address for more details and it's just exactly the same information as the brochure.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 14:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple I can think of right off-hand:

The chimes on instant messengers, AIM, gaim, and everything else. I turn 'em off. The blinking lights are enough to get my attention.

People who turn off waterbaths or change the temp when a reaction is going inside also annoy me...fortunately a nasty note was enough to housebreak the idiot who kept doing that.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted May 15, 2003 14:41      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poor manners; a lack of class; taking things and people for granted; patronizing or condescending attitudes. Other personal pet peeves are people who chew with their mouths open, people who crack gum (not the art of blowing bubbles because that's cool and a genuine skill, but people hold the gum in their mouths and make tiny little popping noises with it, like my officemate... grrr...), and people who say they will call and don't - that's just discourteous (I don't mean this as a dig about guys - it just annoys me in general).

I'm sure I can think of a few more.

I think I'm going to name my next pet Peeves.

Oooo... I'm all twinkly now! What'd I do? What'd I do?

Grey

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 15:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you have a friend GG. I am stuck at four stars that may as well be lumps of coal *sniff* [weep]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 17:09      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using English badly (I can usually stand the American alternative).

However, "try and" really pisses me off. It should be "try to" people. Also "should of" instead of "should have".

But I don't lie awake worrying about grammar at night.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 17:30      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, "should've" is a contraction of "should have." Still doesn't mean it's a "proper" contraction (I don't believe it's in the dicitionary), but it's better then "should of."

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 18:14            Edit/Delete Post 
L8tly itz da kidz dat post 2 da chatz boreds nd uz lay z typin skilz lik day uze 4 i am chatz on there fonze. If ur gona post 2 a boerd @ lease uz spel chex! [shake head]

I have given up trying to decipher post like these as they just piss me off and make my head hurt [Mad] [crazy] [cry baby]

edit:
The last time a kid did this on a board I frequent I posted a jpg of a dictionary and told him "don't be afraid"

Of course he followed that up by calling me a faggot [shake head]

IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 21:09            Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting Xanthine:
The chimes on instant messengers, AIM, gaim, and everything else. I turn 'em off.
I turn off the graphical smileys - evil things [Smile] Plain ASCII for me... I do really like sounds, though - I run a customised sound theme in the OS - I love it. Sound also gets my attention much better than on-screen indicators, at least on a Mac - the OS and ICQ notification areas are in two corners of the screen, being my peripheral vision - sound gets my attention more effectively.
[Edit: Sound is also very important if I want to be doing things in my room away from the keyboard and still be conversing - tells me when to return to the Mac to reply. I can just about make out the new IM blinking notification icon though.]

The blinking lights are enough to get my attention.
haha... that reminded me - when someone starts a new IM session in classic Mac AIM, it does not effect an OS-level notification - you only get a sound. If I have my earphones out or was AFK for a minute, I will never notice, maybe not for hours. If it happened more often I'd re-implement a fix - this used to really bug me.

Actually, Gaim's sounds are not only horrible, but also a pain as I can't tell which is which. Add that to having almost no icons in Gaim (grr, GTK bug), I can't tell whether I heard a sign on, or a sign off, and nor can I see who it was (no sign on/off icons). I've customised the sounds in Mac AIM and ICQ, and you reminded me of a thought that I had for some alternate Gaim sounds, but I think I will just convert the ones I use for Mac ICQ (stolen from ircle) to .wav and use those.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 22:45      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought of another one: cell phone ringtones. I hate them all. I make my students set their phones to silent. I guess I'm too keen on any unexpected noises...probably why the radio tones at the ambulance never fail to get my ass in gear.

Crowds also make me nuts...especially drunken noisy crowds.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 23:25      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most peoples parental units.. (Note that the following comments relate only to people I've actually met, people who are parents on these boards are probably different, given their geeky natures) I hate parents. As far as I've seen, the only people who actually have children are fecking morons.. My annoyance with parants is not limited to mine, or my Twinkie's, or my friends.. No, I hate all the parents I've ever seen in public as well [shake head] .. Which leads to another pet peeve.. Screaming children! I *HATE* kids... Thank God for whomever developed the procedure for visectomies [Razz]

[devil wand]

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 02:06      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... Mine are:

Poor spelling/grammar
People walking on my left side
People who use Outlook Express as a newsreader
People who use Outlook Express
People in general
I am uncomfortable when in a room with the door(s) left open
Tailgaters
People named Geoff

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 02:43      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The flaps of cardboard boxes rubbing together.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 02:53      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sinn:
People who use Outlook Express as a newsreader
People who use Outlook Express
People in general
I am uncomfortable when in a room with the door(s) left open

Me too...

On another note, I'd like to add to my 'list' People that make 'cat calls'... It especially pisses me off when they do it to Twinkie when I'm actually walking *with* her! Damn S.O.B.'s, probably think that there's no way she'd choose a geek like me over them, feh, damn assholes, fscking carload of them's IQ probably isn't even 35 points above the IQ of the chair I'm sitting in!

*cough* Anywho...

Another peeve of mine is people who feel the need to touch me... I can't stand being touched! Icky! Only one person can touch me, and that's Twinkie!

[devil wand]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 07:31      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just picking up on a few things people have said...

Xanthine commented about cell phone rings and crowds.

In a class, it's just simple courtesy to turn off a phone. I do it as the instructor, so I expect the student to as well. I had a SprintPCS Sanyo 4700 for a while, and I got rid of the phone simply because I hated the ringers with a passion. I picked up the Samsung A500 just so I could download what I wanted. I get a lot of looks when the phone goes off and it's either Luke's Force Theme from SW, the Bridge of Khaz'dum from LOTR, or Tank from Cowboy Bebop. Freaks people out. I love it.

I do not handle crowds well at all. Not at all. I refuse to take the NYC subway. Toys R Us at Christmastime is a trial for me that has ended, on one ocassion, in a near panic attack. I was trampled on a line for Van Halen tickets when I was 16, and that was that.

Neotatsu wrote about parents and screaming kids.

I'm proud to be the coolest Mom on the block. I have my own roller blades and I had more stars in Mario for N64 than my son and most of his friends. [Smile] I'm lucky that I'm a geek and so is my son, but I think the issue is more that I respect my son as his own person. That's always guided how I relate to him. I'm the one in charge and he isn't, and sometimes we have to follow that dictate, but I don't pull rank very often. Don't have to. About homework yes, but what parent doesn't have to do that? As for the screaming kids, I'm with you on this. People... it's called discipline! You'll be grateful you did it. Trust me. Disciplining a kid doesn't mean you're being tough or not respecting their "individuality," but actually the opposite. It shows you care enough to raise them properly.

Wow... enough for now... I knew I'd have more to say about pet peeves. Gee, what does that say about me?

Grey

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 10:24      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't have a pet peeve. i got a pet cheez. lives in a box. pretty easy to look afer. bit smelly though. and it leaks a bit. never did get it house trained

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 12:14      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My short list:

unsolicited advice (not reflecting on any of you here, this is a RL complaint)

being ignored

people being really late without calling

back-seat (or passenger seat) driving

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 18:43      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:

But I don't lie awake worrying about grammar at night.

Sure you don't. You know, the first step is admitting you have a problem. [Razz]

BTW, how do you stand on the whole (h)erb thing?(ha-I can just about hear spungo screaming from here!)

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 20:08      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:

back-seat (or passenger seat) driving

How about the people that just white-grip the rests because they think your driving will kill them? I always hate that [Big Grin] .

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 20:52            Edit/Delete Post 
snupy:
While I am a fellow Briton to littlefish, we're still in different countries (hm... hehe, he's in Scotland, snupy, *nudge wink* ;), so that doesn't equate to complete similarity, but anyhow - definitely herb, not erb. Same as hotel (I want none of this 'an otel' nonsense!)

As for pet peeves? Hell, I'm a breeder of them =P And a kennels owner...

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 20:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xanthine:
I more or less agree about the Gaim/AIM chimes - it can be more annoying than helpful - but I do like some uses of them - mainly sign on/off & 'someone says your name in chat.' However, I'm not one for using defaults, and those sounds have been replaced with Star Trek sounds - the opening and closing noises, along with the door chime [Smile] .

Regarding ring tones: Yes!! /me hugs Xanthine - someone else who hates ring tones. I detest them. My phone is forever on 'silent' - the only quirky side effect is that I might look a little odd if I just suddenly take my phone out of my pocket and walk away, talking on it :-/. Oh well, that's the price I pay for not having an obnoxious noise emanate from my phone at inappropriate (read: any) times. I guess there's merit to having your phone ring if you don't have it on your person like I do, but then you should have a less obnoxious sound, something that's bordering on 'professional' (e.g. like a traditional land line ["hard line" for you Matrix nuts]). With no offense intended to the ladies here, the [now sort-of] old adage says 'the more obnoxious the ring tone, the deeper the phone is in the handbag.' If only I wasn't so cynical and untrusting, I might reveal an idea in my head that could be a solution to such a system. (and nothing but a patent lawyer can get that out of me - as Mulder says "Trust No One").

Oh, that reminds me, I need to make some kind of plugin in Gaim to flash somewhere in a WM dockapp or something when I get new messages, as my sound system does not allow for proper mixing, and MP3s takeover my sound system, eliminating the use of notification sounds (and in turn, I've disabled them, as there is almost no point).

P.S. Slurpy, could it be that your driving does in fact make your passengers think they are going to die? Previous posts of yours would indicate this to be a strong possibility.

P.P.S. Please forgive a Shift-key aversion of mine of late, I may slip up at times, as I'm having some RSI problems lately, and typing has become a little trickier/uncomfortable.

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 21:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dragonman: for some odd reason I've never had a problem mixing sounds. I can even play something complicated like a movie trailer with my mp3s in the background.

I'd much rather see someone suddenly pull their phone out of their pocket and wander off than hear the damn thing. Even whem the ringtones are music it still pisses me off.

Note to self: never get in a car with Slurpy. I'm a nervous passenger under almost any circumstances. The exceptions being when i'm in the ambulance. I'm in a bigger vehicle, and it's in my driver's interests to be safe. That and the drivers here are all damn good. I trust my life with them routinely.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 21:12            Edit/Delete Post 
dragonman97: What's wrong with using a sound server?

I did try running the arts sound server in YDL, but then Licq tried to play a sound that the arts sound player didn't like and it crashed out arts and took all my sound out with it. The other snag is that as I never had it running in real time mode, moving a window could make music stutter. But then things have come up a long way since then I guess.

I recall back when I realised that my old 1992 Mac LC could wave-mix and the 1994 486 PC could not - Mac audio is generally nice to me.

Xanthine:
But yes, Windows audio has come a whole long way from 3.11, where only one application on the system could use any sound subsystem (wave, MIDI) at once. Linux is still at that level, sadly, so you have to run special software for the task. I don't know when Mac OS got the ability to wave-mix, I know System 7 (1992-ish) did it - Windows had to wait until at least 1995, assuming it's built into Win 95. The Amiga had it built in from the beginning with its foray of custom circuitry - I am listening to AmigaMOD music right now.

evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 21:15            Edit/Delete Post 
Ring tones bug me too! My SideKick came with a bunch of songs and annoying tones. I chose the the classic telephone ring (like when phones actually had a bell and hammer in them) for mine, it confuses people that remember that sound. Otherwise I leave it on vibrate if I'm listening to my iPod. No 20 seconds of some annoying song playing over and over here thank you.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture