homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » My site! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My site!
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2003 10:28      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayhey! I have a new website! I am hosting it on my computer. web page thats it. It will only work if im online though [Frown]

It has an IRC room #smeg! on slashnet
It must have the ! on the end

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2003 12:55      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, now, to be a real man, you have to code it in Notepad instead. . . [cry baby]
Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2003 13:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Slurpy, you must do it in vi to win my praise...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2003 13:32      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im still waiting for his pps website [Wink] [devil wand]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2003 13:37      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Hah! I beat you both! I write it out on a sheet of paper and scan it in!

(kidding... I'm really not that lame)

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2003 13:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, you don't think I've written programs on paper first?

Usually not HTML, though - way too easy, I'm talking about writing perl to generate HTML - I've been known to write that out on paper while bored in class...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2003 13:58      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

LOL, is it actually possible to use vi? [Wink]

long live pico! [Big Grin]

-SM

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2003 14:08      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back spidy!!!
It's still beyond me, I'm happy with BBedit and/or pico [Smile]

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 05, 2003 14:15      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I'll bite:

I use vi on a palm to write C code that I later inherit into C++ that then outputs a perl script that creates the page.

[Big Grin]

In reality, actually, I do most of my work web stuff in 1st Page (yay Evrsoft ), or in gVim 6.0 , but I also frequently do it on a Solaris box using gVim. At home, it's Project Builder on OS X, baaaby.

(drat, our new NAL deployed IE won't let me use the preview button from work anymore, so I hope the links worked!)

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2003 15:17            Edit/Delete Post 
Pencil and paper are good for planning the design of a site, although I don't make new pages complex like that now.
IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2003 19:17      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
Welcome back spidy!!!

Thanks.

Yeah, I spent several hours trying to learn vi but never quite got it. Maybe it's better running X and some type of GUI? Which wouldn't matter anyway as I don't like using gui ports of editors...

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2003 06:04      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
vi rocks.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2003 06:17            Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... anyone remember the Acornsoft Screen Editor? (smeg might) That was a really cute editor :)

Or, UED for DOS?

I've only ever used some sort of graphical version of vi, and trying to make some sort of sense of that had a friend and I in total hysterics. The problem with these kinds of editors (the text-only versions anyhow) is that unless you've got time to dissect the manual (which I don't if it's not even my own computer), you will never have a clue how they work. Screen Editor, UED and PICO all have an interface concept in common - a bar along the bottom that tells you what to press for all the main operations - similar to a menu bar.

For those with impeccable memories, typing long strings of Martian into vi makes sense, but I have trouble remembering anything, so glancing at that bar to jog my memory is a lot more helpful.

Of course, I use BBEdit normally, and that has a regular menu bar. So does X-Emacs, but I don't have the time and patience to exorcise it of its desire to rearrange all my C and HTML into some kind of jumble. As will gVi(m), too, I guess, but seeing as I spend most of my time in Mac OS 9 and Windows, it's SimpleText/BBEdit and Notepad for me :)

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2003 12:19      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My main problem is that now i find myslef hitting ctrl-w for find in word or IE, which isn't a problem on the mac, but on the pc it gets annoying...
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2003 12:57      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I do code in vi, actually, but Smeg choked when he tried Linux, remember? Looking at the source, I'm inclined to say that he did it in M$ Word. . .

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2003 13:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slurpy - I'm confused - he said right on his site that he used M$ word to make the page...of course now it doesn't load - I bet he turned it off, unplugged/disconnected his modem, or his IP addr. changed - and as brilliantly versed in TCP/IP as he is, apparently he might not changed his dynamic DNS info. </sarcasm> [Okay, that sentence was too long, but I just don't care at the moment.]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 06, 2003 13:49      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still waiting for the site made with PowerPoint. [shake head] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2003 21:19      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, guess I missed where he said he did it in Word. [Razz]

And don't get me started on PowerPoint. . . [devil wand]

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2003 21:43      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmm.. notepad and pico...

I check my tables with Dreamweaver. Other than that, it's all handcoding.

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2003 07:31            Edit/Delete Post 

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted May 07, 2003 07:50      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by raydreams:
Wait til you go for a job interview and someone ask you what Dev Envs you know. And you respond, "I'm a die hard, I use vi." and they say, "Next...."

Funny, where I work they are too stingy (fortune 100 company, but won't buy software?), and they LOVE the text editors. Company standard here is actually TEdit. The only thing we splurge on for development is the MS Visual Studio stuff.

So here, where all web development is done on Sun, almost all java is done using Sun ONE, and TEdit/Emacs/VI rule for the page design... they would just be annoyed if you're a FrontPager [Smile]

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2003 08:51            Edit/Delete Post 
Raydreams:
Well, I personally find Dreamweaver just about incomprehensible - I was given it at work and refused to use it - just waste of time trying to find anyhing in it. The new MX version had some strange desire to flood my screen with so much junk, there wasn't space left to do any work.

Admittedly, I was there to do server-side scripting, not pretty eye candy (ew - my homepage was my last ever eye candy site) so I got away with it - just used ColdFusion studio for HTML/CFML editing and inline previewing.

I did have Dreamweaver 4 on this Mac, too, but I put my already-completed homepage into it, and it was too stupid to even render GIFs properly, so I gave up, and recently deleted it during my campaign to reduce the drive's file count (excessive file count (45,000+ sort of region) strains HFS+ horribly on a 604e under 9.1)

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2003 09:33      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the same note, Look at most small bussiness webpages code, and you will find that it is clear that said hiring practice is degenerating the quality of sites... I was looking at the source code for company I work for (just out of curiosity) and was ashamed at what I saw... Then again, I am still not completly happy with my site yet (broken images, need alt text for pics, still have links to the FLASH games using javastript to open, and no warning they are flash) ... But at least this version has most of the content able to be navigated by lynx.
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2003 11:44            Edit/Delete Post 

CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2003 21:05      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny. My company is hiring a designer and the main requirement is the ability to handcode HTML solidly and cleanly.

Hrm... [Smile]

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture