homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Proof of time travel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proof of time travel
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2003 12:08      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found this story on slashdot:
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/wwn/20030319/104808600007.html
Had to share it. Wouldn't it be great if it was true?

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 17, 2003 13:27      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They finally captured the Master! [Wink]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2003 17:28      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an airborne express package shipped from apple (replacement ipod for broken one) on january 1st, 1970 [Wink]
Some time machine, ship it before it's ordered! [Big Grin]

Jackieliz22
Mini Geek
Member # 2055

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2003 19:00      Profile for Jackieliz22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooooooooo....those sort of stories always seem to freak me out. maybe i've seen to many movies. but i cant help but think how awful it would be if you actually could travel through time and you get yourself into trouble and people wouldn't believ you and you got stuck. *gasp* maybe he's telling the truth! [crazy] ...or maybe i'm paranoid or something.....

--------------------
"I'm a Catholic. The Catholic religion is basically: If it feels good, stop!"
~ Adam Ferrera

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2003 10:28      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my friend gave me that link a while ago followed by proof that it was a hoax. i dont have the link to the page that said it was a hoax.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2003 11:01      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have the link with evidence of it being a hoax, we could asssmue that the hoax is a hoax, thus the time travel must be truth. [Razz]

I find it odd that they can't find where the information came from. While I am skeptical about his story, I have begun searching for his craft... I figgure I could do the same thing with the great depression, make a TON of money, and the manipulation of stock at the time wasn't illegal so I'd have no problem getting back to my craft and getting outta there.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 19, 2003 14:08      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time travel is not impossible, it's just improbable. What if he is in fact a a time traveler. If he is, he has violated a set rule that would be not to screw with the timeline. In this case he may have case a temporal causality loop, in which we are to repeat events over and over again, (we would never know about it) or hascause a paradox that could move back to anihalate us all. know one know for sure.

Just my 2 cents.

ttyl

Robin

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1151 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2003 15:18      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he came from the future how come he didn't know he would be caught? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2003 16:29      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the summer of 2256 will never come again. That was a /very/ good year, if I do say so. Can't immagine why anyone would want to /leave/, particularly to come back and meddle with the stock market. After all, inflation over two hundred years would mean that any money he got would be almost worthless when he brings it back to his own time, assuming that the currency hasn't changed since now. It's also amazing how static the language has been over those few hundred years. English, after all, changes at an impressive rate (especially in America), and one would think that his slang would be so incomprehensible as to render meaningful communication impossible.

On a related note, and I hate to discredit such a fine publication, but the story /did/ originate in the offices of Weekly World News, a publication not particularly known for it's journalistic integrity. Always check the source.

The quesiton is, why would Yahoo grab a WWN story? Curiouser and Curiouser.

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2003 18:25      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few things to note:

Firstly, this story actually originated not long before April 1st, so that should tell you something right there.

Secondly, as stated above, in a situation like this one must question the reliability of the source. Namely: Weekly World News. Which doesn't exactly have the most reputable name.

Third, Yahoo! even listed this in their "Entertainment & Gossip" section.

If anyone is interested you can read more at snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/insider.htm

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
pawn
Assimilated
Member # 173

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2003 22:42      Profile for pawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the story is true and the guy is from 2256 then he must have stolen the time machine. Because he is an idiot.

If he wanted to make a whole LOT of money he should have came back invested in the first few stocks then put the money he made into an account (at a bank that is still around in his time of course) that pays a semi good interest rate and keep rolling it over, using the time machine to move the money around over the next 253 years so the government doesn't catch on.

A million dollars invested at five percent will be worth $241,035,028,954.53 if the investment calculator I found online is correct. Even after adjusting for inflation (calculated at 2%/yr) the future value of that money is $1,576,298,042.51. More than enough for anyone to buy a six pack of mountain dew or pepsi in 2256.

--------------------
Sometimes you've just gotta say 'what the f*ck', and make your move. 'What the f*ck' gives you freedom, freedom brings opportunity, and opportunity makes your future.

Posts: 413 | From: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture