homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Radical Christians (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Radical Christians
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 8 posted March 13, 2003 17:01            Edit/Delete Post 

IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2003 17:04      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cant we just take our religious fundamentalists and the rest of the worlds religious fundamentalists drop them in the middle of the sahara and have it be the next season of survivor?
except that they are all shot at the end

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2003 06:08      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmm,

I think that group is so far out on the edge that they must have fallen off, on their heads a few times.

God Blew-up the Shuttle??? Come on! [Mad]

I would like to know how they would explain the following e-mail a friend sent to my wife.

Over the weekend Steve Green gave a concert at our church (which of course was awesome). It was very different from his normal concerts in that the concert was dedicated to his dear friend, Rick Husband, the commander of the space shuttle Columbia. Steve and his wife were very good friends with Rick and his wife Evelyn. He told us that he met Rick many years ago at one of his concerts. They came up to greet Steve and tell him how much they enjoyed his music. Rick's wife whispered to Steve that Rick was an astronaut. Steve immediately began asking him questions (he said that everyone waiting in line to see him suddenly turned their interest to Rick). That was the beginning of their friendship.

Three years ago he was present at Rick's first space shuttle launch where he sang at a reception for him prior to take-off. He did the same thing 17 days ago and then watched Rick go into space. He told us how many of the people at the reception were non-believers which is not unusual among the science community. Steve's latest CD contains a song entitled "God of Wonders" which speaks about a "God beyond our galaxies-You are holy, holy-The heavens declare your majesty-You are holy, holy". Rick Husband loved the song and Steve sang it at the reception held for him. A video was made to accompany the song. Steve Green showed the video at his Concert tonight (many Kleenex needed). It showed him with his wife, 2 young children, in space on his prior mission, along with breathtaking photographs of the galaxies our God created.

This same song was also played upon Rick's wife's request as one of The wakeup songs one morning on the space shuttle (they apparently play a different song each morning from NASA). Steve emailed with Rick while he was in space and he shared some of that with us when Rick was talking about how awesome God's creation was as he saw it out the space shuttle window. He told us how Rick was a quiet man, but never quiet about sharing his faith in Jesus Christ.

He told us how right before the crew boarded the space shuttle 17 days ago, Rick stopped them all and prayed for them. NASA workers commented that in all their years working there, they had never seen a commander pray with his crew. He told us how at T minus 2 before takeoff, a NASA control person commented that it was a perfect day for launch and Rick replied "The Lord has given us a beautiful day."

These were just some of the things he told us. Steve did a concert in Houston last week-Rick's wife Evelyn and Michael Anderson's wife were there. Steve prayed for Rick and Michael while they were in space and then Steve's family spent the evening having dinner with them. Steve told us how Rick left a recorded devotional video for each of his 2 children for each of the 17 days he would be gone. That was 34 videos that he took the time to record so that his children would not miss their daily devotions they had with their dad. Steve spoke about what a legacy Rick has left his children.

None of the above has been mentioned by the press that I have heard(big surprise). But Steve said that he knew for sure that at least 3 crew members- Rick, Michael Anderson and one other crew member (I'm not sure who) were committed followers of Jesus Christ. I just wanted to pass this along because I'm sure that many of you, like myself, wondered the same thing-how many of these 7 people were in eternity today. I also thought that you might want to pray for their families. Please feel free to pass this along to your friends and family members who would like to know and pray.

Take care and remember to hug your children, tell them how much you love them, and think about what legacy you are leaving them.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 8 posted March 31, 2003 17:03            Edit/Delete Post 

IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 17:12      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dude
i love their website [Roll Eyes]

god hates fags

i guess putting in black people and jews is too much for those texas kkk retards to remember [Mad]

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 31, 2003 19:18      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would a "church" website need a disclaimer before entering?

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 20:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by raydreams:
Well, some of you are going to love this. This is the crap that is REALLY embarrasing...

Yesterday some "right-wing" Baptist from Kansas (Westboro Baptist Church) showed-up to picket in front of NASA-JSC. Yes, RIGHT in front of the memorial were everyone left their gifts to STS-107, right outside the NASA gate.

Here are a few things on their signs:
"God Blew-up the Shuttle"
"Thank God for Sept. 11"
"Sin Breeds Violence"
"No tears for Queers"
RIGHT-wing!???? That's not right, that's fallen off the airplane.

Hmm, maybe I'm a biased fundamentalist Christian, but surely "Sin Breeds Violence" is not that controversial? Especially when rephrased as "Sin in some circumstances can lead to a deadly cirle of violence (eg retribution)". Unfortunately the corrected version is a bit long to fit on a placard
[Frown]

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GeekAvenger
Assimilated
Member # 1895

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 21:37      Profile for GeekAvenger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't it be "Violonce Breeds Sin?" [Confused]

--------------------
Geekier Than Thou. I think academically so therefore I'm a geek?

Ah the wonders of the crowd.

Posts: 485 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2003 00:20      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you CrawGator,
I think the letter you included is great to read and was encouraging. (It is unfortunate that this sort of thing really doesn't get covered to often.)

--Warning this may seem somewhat ranty, I guess I am just a bit troubled by such a presentation of Christian beliefs. (As is displayed by this group.) Anywho...

As I believe CSK is pointing out there are things the Bible points to as things we should not do (which can carry heavy consequences) but to treat it as a book of does and don'ts or as a means to condemne people is to miss the point I think. What it comes down to is the Bible points to our necessity for salvation and presents the way to be saved. It is a message of hope and love where God Himself _Loved_ us so much that He intervened and provided us a way to know Him (as we were ment to know Him) and be saved.
With this in mind statements like "God hates fags" really don't work or make sense. I believe the Bible says we should not participate in this sort of lifestyle/practice as well as many other things but the point is, one way or another, we have all fallen short and yet there is still hope. (Not only hope for salvation but also the ability to know directly the One who is the author of the universe.)

As for the shuddle crew, our thoughts and prayers go out to their families, friends and coworkers.

- Shadow
(Hoping there won't be any need for asbestos shorts and jacket here. [Smile] )

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2003 20:47      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
Ray,

Simply defined, fundamentalism is the absence of spirituality in an individual's soul. However, that doesn't stop the fundamentalist from trying to quote Bible verse. Only their quotes are at best empty.

True Christians realize that absent the spirit of God the words of God as given to us by men are meaningless. Yet, as you have witnessed by reading the blasphemous website you mentioned, there are fundamentalists who try to find meaning in these words and simply turn those words into tools of hatred. The Holy Bible predicts this and warns us of false prophets and their followers.

Think of the Christian Holy Trinity: The Father expressed as a vengeful God in the Old Testament, The Son as expressed as forgiveness and redemption through Christ in the New Testament, and the Holy Spirit as expressed as enlightenment. The fundamentalist leans heavily on vengeance, goes light on forgiveness and forgets all about enlightenment; hence their hell, fire and brimstone image.

Of course, absent light, darkness reigns in their souls and the prince of darkness takes over their pitiful lives. It is a gradual process, and we witness a range of behaviors from somewhat benign to incredibly malevolent. From common incest found ubiquitously in the fundamentalist Bible Belt of the American south, to violent Aryan racism, abortion clinic terrorism, and Federal building bombing, the absence of the spirit of God is quite evident.

Christian Fundamentalism is an oxymoron, and fundamentalists are no more than Godless inbreeds who will burn in hell.

So don't worry about 'em.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2003 18:04      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeeesshh,

{Looking at manifesto page} ahh TULIP, that 5 point doctrine explains their behavior in total. The seeds of hyper calvinism reap a bitter fruit. I know families that have split over it, and people who were long time freinds become bitter and never speak to one another again because of it. The sad part is that they truly believe this mess. Unfortunately people that are this close minded refuse to listen to anything, including the Bible, that might refute their beliefs. They are too legalistic for their own good. If Jesus were alive today, teaching the gospel as He did in His day, they would call him a false preacher.

Warning to all christians, if your doctrine causes you to ostracize or hate people for their beliefs, actions or lack thereof, that is a good sign that your doctrine should be examined for flaws. I may not agree with people, I may not like their behavior, but I try not to shut people out because of that. If a person claims to be a christian then you believe that God called our righteousness "filthy rags", yet He still loved us enough to give us an opportunity to be redeemed. "If anyone is without sin let Him cast the first stone." I say if you are so high and mighty that you can look down on someone, you should get on your knees and look up to God and pray for yourself and them instead.

All right enough of my ranting. I guess it's a little personal for me. I used to {and sometimes still have to} deal with people who act that way.

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 08:30      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i love this link:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/whipplememorial.html

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 08:31      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 08:37      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by raydreams:
quote:

[qb] Hmm, maybe I'm a biased fundamentalist Christian, but surely "Sin Breeds Violence" is not that controversial?

of course it depends on how you define sin. if i said that eating an apple a day was a sin then you would rightly call me strange, at the very least.

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 08:58      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
i love this link:

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 09:23      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- what, so much you posted it twice? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thanatos
Mini Geek
Member # 1834

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 13:04      Profile for Thanatos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in "The Big Easy" for Mardi Gras...had a 'Bible Thumper" with a 15 foot sign listing all the people who he thought were going to hell. My comment to my friends? "Huh. only 6 out of 21. I'm not doing as badly as I thought!"
Posts: 87 | From: I don't dare say | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 14:36      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
i love this link:

People can say "God hates fags" all day. I know you might not like me for this, but I do think that is at least partly true. To be specific I should say that I believe God hates homosexuality (as opposed to homosexuals). It does not however stop me from having gay friends. My Man of Honor at my wedding is gay.

Besides, those people are forgetting something else. God hates all sin. And I've sinned. BOY have I. I have lied, stolen, fornicated, dishonored and disobeyed my parents, taken the Lord's name in vain, failed to honor the sabbath, coveted other's things, and this is just what I've broken from the ten commandments!

All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. That's in Romans. I forget where. So that means that I am just as bad as every murderer or rapist in prison right now, and so was Mother Teresa, and so are my gay friends. We're still supposed to love everyone. And as hard as it may be, I'm even supposed to love the people who run that website. I can't do it on my own. And I don't always do it. That's another way I fall short. Only God is perfect.

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 16:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuff like that makes me afraid of the human race. Nut jobs are bad enough by themselves. But get them all together and you've got some serious, serious problems.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Noldoaran
Geek
Member # 2003

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 16:20      Profile for Noldoaran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
People can say "God hates fags" all day. I know you might not like me for this, but I do think that is at least partly true. To be specific I should say that I believe God hates homosexuality (as opposed to homosexuals). It does not however stop me from having gay friends. My Man of Honor at my wedding is gay.

exactly.

quote:

Besides, those people are forgetting something else. God hates all sin. And I've sinned. BOY have I. I have lied, stolen, fornicated, dishonored and disobeyed my parents, taken the Lord's name in vain, failed to honor the sabbath, coveted other's things, and this is just what I've broken from the ten commandments!

This is not the confessions forum..

quote:

All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. That's in Romans. I forget where. So that means that I am just as bad as every murderer or rapist in prison right now, and so was Mother Teresa, and so are my gay friends. We're still supposed to love everyone. And as hard as it may be, I'm even supposed to love the people who run that website. I can't do it on my own. And I don't always do it. That's another way I fall short. Only God is perfect.

quote:
Romans 3:23
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Posts: 228 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 16:32      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice summary there, PB. Another thing is that as you hinted at, God hates the sin, yet loves the sinner. Hence "God hates fags" is an incorrect statement, cause it says that God loves everyone in just about all of the New Testament. However, "God does not like homosexual practice very much at all" may be easier to defend.

I remember seeing on one of these threads someone mention the Left Behind series, which apparently sells like hotcakes in the US. On my way to work this morning, someone handed me a book looking much like another Left Behind book. No, its by a different group, who disagree with the theology in Left Behind, and have decided to write their own version, using the same characters and general "look" (I thought it was an official one til then). Should be interesting to see the differences in opinion (read approximately 9 of the Left Behind so far). But talk about pathetic, you think they'd at least have the decency to think up some original characters and cover art.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 17:14      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen there TMBWITW,PB
As you point out, it is not the person but the sin that God hates. God after all loved ALL of us so much that he provided, as pointed out by several now, a way to be redeemed. I don't think this should, by any means, stop us from having friends who are gay. (I also have some really good friends who are gay and I am glad to have the privilege to call them friends. [Smile] )

You are also right TMB, we all, including me (I am guily of plenty to), have fallin short/sinned as Romans 3:23 points out. The great news is there is forgiveness and redemption. All we need to do is ask. [Smile]

-Shadow

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted April 03, 2003 18:45      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sight(WBC) also claims Matthew Shepard deserved to be tied to a fence, beaten senseless and left to die because he was a "fag". Disgusting. And there's nothing we can do about crap like that, is there? [Frown]

Someone please tell me that counter is incorrect? Please? I read it as 3 million and change? [Eek!]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted April 03, 2003 20:26      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, whoever warned about reading godhatesfags is right. I wish it was a clever troll, but these people really believe this stuff. Providing a great example to everyone .. NOT ... [Mad] Please don't think every Christian is like this (or even most). They certainly fail the "you can tell whether people are true followers of Jesus by the way they treat other people" test (rough paraphrase of John 13:39)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2003 20:42      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:

Someone please tell me that counter is incorrect? Please? I read it as 3 million and change? [Eek!]

counters can be set to any number, but I'd bet the bulk of the real hits are from themselves and the rest are from people like us who are horrified that such insanity exists [Frown]
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture