homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Human Cloning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Human Cloning
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2002 19:00      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/12/27/human.cloning/index.html

its official(or so these guys claim)

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 27, 2002 19:08      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I can believe that the human race was genetically engineered by aliens. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
technosquirrel 101
Geek
Member # 1738

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 28, 2002 01:08      Profile for technosquirrel 101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Sometimes I can believe that the human race was genetically engineered by aliens. [Big Grin]

"dr. qourkz, the experiment was a failure! eliminate the test objects and proceed with phase epsilon!"

"uhm, eliminate, sir? but they're hkrahij just like us!"

"execute your orders or i'll think of executing YOU instead!"

"eh, yes, sir." *there must be a way! yes, i'll drop them off at the nearest c-class planet we pass...*

--------------------
...this post was brought to you by technosquirrel 101. - "who said i had a plan?"

Posts: 142 | From: the "XMS Memory", cabin 934, C-Deck | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2002 11:53      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I read about that this morning. Sounds like it would work as a cloning method, but the question is whether or not the mother and daughter are exact genetic matches.

What is up with all these people complaining about how it's not ethical and shit. I mean, seriously. What are you doing that's not ethical? You're removing the nucleus from an embryo and replacing it with some genetic material from another human. I guess they're complaing about how you're depriving a life the chance to be or whatever. Like abortion. It's a woman's body, let her deal with it, not you die-hard butches. Oh yeah. I should post a rant...

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2002 09:19      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, personally, I think I will wait until independent examination prooves that the baby is actually a clone. Call me a cynic, but I tend to think claims coming from an organization run by an alien volcano cult are probably not worth the bandwidth I used reading them.

I find their purpose for wanting to clone human beings more than a little disturbing. I'm all for growing people new kidneys in vats and that sort of thing, but creating a human being with the ultimate goal of killing that human being in every way that matters I find disgusting.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2002 10:43            Edit/Delete Post 

IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 29, 2002 18:01      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question is: How much did this cost ?

I mean, to create just one toddler. I figure that being allowed to select surrogate [other genetic replication participant] subjects, I figure I could get "close enough for government work" to have a clone.

Oh, sure, it'd involve "working" while I "sleep" (around), and some would say this is not a practical cloning method for non-male subjects, but (in spite of being very tired [Wink] ) I'd still have Millions of Dollars to play with !

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted January 06, 2003 07:02      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear another news about clone that turn out hoax! Because they have no proof on picture of clone yet!

Or am I miss something?  -

--------------------
[color=blue]My brain is loading, please wait...[/color]

Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2003 07:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's pretty safe to say that they are a bunch of fruitcakes and this is all a pile of crap. Cloning has proved to be very difficult indeed for lesser mammals - just read what the chap who ran the 'Dolly' the sheep cloning experiment said - most of the embryos turn out to have serious problems - there's something about the early embryonic development that's not quite understood that means normal growth is, currently, the exception. Of course this raises another argument about what I or we might regard as normal... but I really don't wanna go there right now...

At best, human cloning at present is irresponsible and at worst it is downright evil.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2003 09:09            Edit/Delete Post 

IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2003 09:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by raydreams:

I also remember a little announcement in Utah in 1989 involving "cold fusion." [Wink]

But at least Pons and Fleischman (sp?) gave experimental details of their anomalous heating effect - there was some scientific credibility to their findings... sorta.

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted January 07, 2003 06:04      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Worst part is that it involves spending Huge amounts of Money, but Hardly Having Any Fun "doing it" !

(Hmmm... it always seemed that unwed teenagers never have fertility problems. Maybe science can study this to help couples who are not in high school.)

Then again, maybe there's a simple explanation.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 07, 2003 06:11      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops. My bad. The unwed teenagers Do have Fertility Problems......

... but it's Not from a Lack of Reproduction......

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2003 06:15      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm... bordering on the ethically dodgy, here... somewhat unwarranted judgementalism.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture