homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What did you get? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What did you get?
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2002 14:13      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For christmas I got:
Mac OS 10.2
a .Mac account
a 512MB stick of RAM (boosting me to 768Mb of RAM)
And a MAD magazine subscription renewal

What did you all get for Christmas or other comperable religious holiday?

Posts: 201 | From: The Deep South, y'all | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2002 15:52      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Motorola i95cl phone with Nextel service.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2002 17:36      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OS 10.2 as well
Creative speakers
ski pants
ski hat
assorted clothes
subscription to TransWorld SNOWboarding

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 25, 2002 19:02      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One word for you all: Menudo!!!!! [Big Grin]
And a keyboard piano w/ 61 full-sized keys and touch sensor, MIDI capatibility, and a stand
Tons of make-up (my family is trying to give me a hint?)
Body wash/spray/lotion (another hint?)
A "Bratz" doll ( [Confused] )
A decorative monogram pin from the 1928 brand
Money to eat at In-N-Out
And the most coolest gifts of all...
"A Hard Day's Night" DVD with supplement material and a "Marilyn Manson: Guns, God, Government" DVD!!!!!!!!!!!! [Happytears]

---Heartbroken, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2002 19:36      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The complete "Prisioner" on DVD!
Some books and clothing, yada, yada, yada.
Actually, I've reached a point in my life where the joy of giving is greater than that of receiving. The look of delight on my kids and wife's faces as they opened their gifts was really enough for me. (If only it weren't so early in the morning, it would have been even better [Eek!] )

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2002 22:42      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For both Jason and I:
A curio cabinet
A set of dishes
$100 Target gift card
Toaster

For me:
(Earlier this month) new Asus A7V8X motherboard, Athlon XP 2000+ processor, Volcano 9 processor fan, 512MB of DDR memory
Silver and lapis lazuli necklace and earrings set
Silver necklace with terracotta inlay
Gold and diamond heart pendant
Copy of Reign of Fire for Gamecube
$50 Amazon gift certificate

For Jason:
(Earlier this month) Asus CUSL2-C motherboard, Pentium 3 1.0Ghz processor with fan, 512MB of memory
Puzzle maze
Personal organizer
Back to the Future Trilogy on DVD
$50 Amazon gift certificate

We put the two Amazon gift certificates together and purchased the Legend special edition DVD, an Eddie Izzard DVD, and a Calphalon Professional Nonstick II 8 1/2 quart saucier. Tomorrow, we'll probably go to Target and buy a vacuum cleaner and/or bedding.

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 25, 2002 23:09      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
 -

-

that verbatim drive along with a firewire enclosure works well with my iBook surprisingly... [Smile]

I also have one more present coming in a few more days from the airport [Big Grin]

--Jack's Booty

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2002 23:48      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a rock. No, wait, that's Halloween. What did Charlie get in his stocking? Shame on me, I can't remember.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 26, 2002 08:18      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
  • OS X Killer Tips book by Scott Kelby
  • Dr. Demento's 30th Anniversary Collection CD
  • Return To Castle Wolfenstein game (Nothin' more fun than killin' Nazis!) [Big Grin]
  • Atlanta Braves' Greg Maddux sports figure (inside joke) [Wink]
  • $20 Barnes & Noble gift certificate

Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2002 11:24      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for hannukah i got:
•Dynastar Speed team 63 skis (jr. 170cm)
•Spyder shell and matching fleece
•PHP cookbook from oreilly
•Salomon xWave 6.0 boots
•Sony Clie peg-sj30
•Radepn 8500 Mac
•stick on "Any" key
•A new shift key for my ibook (i had none....)
•Star Wars I and II dvds
•Stargate season one
•Possibly more that i forgot allready

Probably will have a very very small load from birthday next month though

Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 26, 2002 12:28      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Caffeine molecule hooded fleece
An Ubergeek t-shirt
An 'I Took the Red Pill' t-shirt
A Mountain Dew metal sign for my room
A Magic: The Gathering Ice Age #1 comic w/ promo card all in mint condition

Those were the most memorable this year.

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2002 12:36      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My family doesn't really celebrate Christmas or any other holiday at this time of year, so I got presents from friends only...

-A set of beaded red, blue and gold bracelets
-A jewellery box covered in stars and flowers
-Tales from the Tenth Circle - The Best of The Onion
-A pretty little solitaire set
-A teddy bear that smells like lavender
-Ryan Adams and Jeff Buckley CDs
-A journal with pictures of angels on it
-Stripey Socks!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
-A Christmas kiss and a piece of music from the geekiest geek in Wisconsin

... hmm... I'm such a girl [Wink]

sky

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 26, 2002 15:03      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas didn't work out like it was supposed to, but it was better than any I've ever had [Smile] .

From myself:
  • Ebony Opium (Dreams+Visions) and Amber Flame (Fire) incense and holder
  • the Old Fishing Hole Game [Big Grin]
  • Strawberry Shortcake, Winnie the Pooh, 'Let It Snow' X-Mas, and Aries Zodiac socks (the zodiac one comes with a pin!)
  • Modem cable extension
From Clemmie:
  • Quizzical-looking teddy bear
  • Totally Troll's Dr. Cornelius Care and Nurse Karen Kindly trolls (one of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever gotten)
  • [for my mom] a candle and potourri holder
From Bees:
  • 45x40 mm. Telescope
  • Microscope
  • Xhilaration socks with fuzzy bees :]
  • 15 buttons (5 blanks)
  • 60-set, heavy duty Kinpower batteries [Smile] ! Now I can never run out!
  • Vampyre: Symphonies of the Crypt CD
  • candy from his stocking (what a sweetie), including a 12"~ candycane! I don't know what he thinks I'm going to do with that [Eek!]
  • [for Hubert (0.0)] a Mr. Potato Head
From Mr. and Mrs. McKee (Scott's parents):
  • Silver sun and moon charms bracelet
  • $25.00 GiveAnything.com online gift certificate
  • [for my mom] an anthurium plant
From Hubert (I went shopping with him, heh):
  • B+BWorks restorative cream fer me hair
  • Aromatherapy Grapefruit Peppermint sugar scrub
From mom:
  • Victora Secret's two pairs of undies and a pretty, slightly kinky nightdress [Wink]
  • two silver ankle bracelets
The crappy part of the opening of the presents was that, besides the ones I got from Bees+parents, and the last one from my mom, I knew what they all were (I wrapped 'em all) [Frown] ... but it was still a spiffy Christmas holiday!

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2002 15:37      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, to what I gave others...

For mom:
  • Lancome Miracle body cream
  • B+BWorks White Ginger and Amber bubble bath
  • Twinkle Back Massager
For my computer teacher, Mrs. Cross:
  • a black, fiberglass material (er, at least that's what the saleslady said) leather bag
For Mrs. McKee:
  • Elizabeth Arden Green Tea perfume, lotion, and body wash (I think [Confused] )
For Mika (Scott's brother's girlfriend):
  • a teddy bear, wearing a green velvet jacket and a red velvet backpack with chocolate Godiva coins inside (Scott said it took her forever to open it, hahaha)
For Clemmie:
  • a country-style dress, since she's pretty feminine
  • A Country Christmas CD (yes, she loved everything country... especially square dancing [Big Grin] )
Oh, I forgot to mention: I got a very soft teddy bear from my mom's co-workers.
I also got a book I've never heard of about some person's road trip in VA from my dad. He knows that I have about 4 other books I have to read for school and another book that he got me a while ago that I already admitted to him I've only read half of because I needed a recommended reading book for a book report [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] . GEEZ!

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 26, 2002 15:41      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! And Scott baked my mom and myself a pie.

A pumpkin pie!

*munching* :-I Ph'ummy...

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2002 16:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bunch of cool stuff, including O'Reilly books, Thinkgeek swag, Snow Crash.

And for my beloved (who only partly groks that idea), I got her a stuffed Tux from Thinkgeek that she loves (now if she would just love me [Wink] ).

On another note, I should pose a question for Tyler Durden:
How are those pants working out? Dockers are a staple of my fashion, and I've been thinking of getting the ones you posted (with the extra "mobile" pocket), but I'm curious about how that extra pocket is - is it practical/comfortable? The picture on the Dockers.com page makes it look a little more conspicious than I'd like it to be - is it obvious to others, or nice and discreet? If I were so inclined, I could probably mod my own pants to have such a feature, as I am a geek who knows how to sew (inside joke: I'm the son of a sew-and-sew *groan*). I would love something help me better manage all my digital stuff and what-not, a place for my cell phone, and maybe I'd have room for my Visor again.

Okay, I'm starting to babble about pants, I should probably stop now.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 26, 2002 16:37      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
And for my beloved (who only partly groks that idea), I got her a stuffed Tux from Thinkgeek that she loves (now if she would just love me [Wink] ).

Now why would you give someone who isn't returning all the love such a special gift? Dragonman, I thought you were smarter than that... is there really anything more to this relationship than sex? [Wink]

Or maybe she's not putting out. [Eek!]

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2002 17:37      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A bunch of cool stuff, including O'Reilly books, Thinkgeek swag, Snow Crash.

How are those pants working out? Dockers are a staple of my fashion, and I've been thinking of getting the ones you posted (with the extra "mobile" pocket), but I'm curious about how that extra pocket is - is it practical/comfortable? The picture on the Dockers.com page makes it look a little more conspicious than I'd like it to be - is it obvious to others, or nice and discreet? If I were so inclined, I could probably mod my own pants to have such a feature, as I am a geek who knows how to sew (inside joke: I'm the son of a sew-and-sew *groan*). I would love something help me better manage all my digital stuff and what-not, a place for my cell phone, and maybe I'd have room for my Visor again.

Okay, I'm starting to babble about pants, I should probably stop now.

they have tini zippers in the seams, depending on the color they can be more or less visible... try going to bobs or somewhere and just look at them, that makes it easier to tell how it looks

the ones coated in teflon are really really really cool... i spilled a lot of water all over them one night, and they weren't even damp

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2002 17:53      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ohyeah, i'm looking for a safari membership too [Smile]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2002 19:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes:
quote:

Now why would you give someone who isn't returning all the love such a special gift? Dragonman, I thought you were smarter than that... is there really anything more to this relationship than sex? [Wink]

Or maybe she's not putting out. [Eek!]

*grumble* That wasn't very nice, TT. Quantifying our relationship is a very tricky thing, and I have wracked my brain over that matter for quite some time. I never knew that it was such a crime to buy a special gift for someone, particularly if she is interested in Linux. Any person who uses Linux should have a penguin, it just makes things so much better [Smile] . Anyway, I got it for her because of the Linux reasons, and because I hoped she'd like it, and would possibly think of me when she thinks of it, etc. Now I'm just hoping we'll talk tonight - we've been playing IM tag as it were all day (consider this a variant on phone tag).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 26, 2002 20:04      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
ohyeah, i'm looking for a safari membership too [Smile]

How about a Superfan membership? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 26, 2002 20:28      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

when they say "nice pants" they really mean it [Wink]

The extra pocket is not really noticiable when you're walking around... the feeling isn't really different... I have these slacks in khaki and green and they aren't really conspicuous... none of my friends ever mentioned anything to me about them until I actually pulled something out of it [Smile]

Along with extra pockets on the side, there is also a coin/change pocket inside the upper (normal) pocket as well. I'm usually able to keep a bunch of stuff in my pants now. I carry around my keys with a swiss army knife as the keychain and my wallet in my right pocket, my sunglasses (in its case, of course), a pack of kleenex tissues, and chap stick in my left pocket, my cell phone in my left hidden pocket, and altoids in my right hidden pocket... I never put anything in my rear pockets... those are reserved for keeping my girl's hands warm [Wink]

anyway, if you find them cheap, I'd say get them... they're in function nice looking cargo pants

--Jack's C.K shirts... D.K.N.Y shoes... never mind [Wink]

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted December 26, 2002 21:14      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, dragonman... t'was just a joke from a fellow Twinkie :-/ Sowwy for 'getting personal'.

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 26, 2002 21:38      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you forget something, sky???? Hmm???

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2002 21:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden:
when they say "nice pants" they really mean it [Wink]

The extra pocket is not really noticiable when you're walking around... the feeling isn't really different... I have these slacks in khaki and green and they aren't really conspicuous... none of my friends ever mentioned anything to me about them until I actually pulled something out of it [Smile]

Along with extra pockets on the side, there is also a coin/change pocket inside the upper (normal) pocket as well. I'm usually able to keep a bunch of stuff in my pants now. I carry around my keys with a swiss army knife as the keychain and my wallet in my right pocket, my sunglasses (in its case, of course), a pack of kleenex tissues, and chap stick in my left pocket, my cell phone in my left hidden pocket, and altoids in my right hidden pocket... I never put anything in my rear pockets... those are reserved for keeping my girl's hands warm [Wink]

anyway, if you find them cheap, I'd say get them... they're in function nice looking cargo pants

--Jack's C.K shirts... D.K.N.Y shoes... never mind [Wink]

Thanks for the input. And I know that Dockers are "nice pants." I was aware that there was a extra pocket in the regular pocket, and I find that interesting. Basically, the problem I face these days is that I have too much to carry in my pockets. The following is the run down:
1. House keys/spare key
2. Wallet
3. Sensa pen (which has been not doing well lately)
4. USB key
5. Victorinox Cybertool
6. Secondary pen
7. Kyocera QCP 3035 (been carrying it in my pocket now that I have the work Nextel on my belt instead)
8. ID card (quicker access for magstrip entry doors)
9. Car keys
10. Photon microlight (v2 from ThinkGeek)
11. Mini-boxcutter (oh-so-handy for work)

Now that the cell phone is in my pocket, it is less feasible for me to carry my Visor Neo, which I should, to encourage more people to get them (we have a PDA initiative at work). Tyler reminds me of my sunglasses case, which I really have no room for now - but luckily the jacket/coat season provides me with a place to locate them. Then there are my office keys on a long keychain, hanging of my belt, which I often stick into my pocket to prevent jingling of keys when I walk places (how I can easily identify my boss' approach, and my friends have been able to do with me).

The unfortunate thing with the above is that my back pockets are not available for "Jack's fun purposes" [Wink] , though they are considerably less occupied than the front pockets. Mints, change, and tissues are delegated to areas in my briefcase, but I prefer to not carry that with me if I can, as I have too many unnecessary papers in it now (a cleaning project for the break).

I have a feeling I will probably go for these if they seem comfortable, and reasonably affordable. I look forward to having slightly better organized pockets (wow, that really seems like something straight out of Fight Club).

--dragon's Ralph Lauren Polo or Eddie Bauer shirts, Dockers, & Rockport shoes.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture