homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Get Your Genes Burned To A CD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Get Your Genes Burned To A CD
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2002 09:03      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the scientists that was part of the Human Geneome product is starting a company that will put your gene pattern on a CD. He's says he hopes the cost of this will eventually be $1,000, but now he's charging $500,000. CNN has the complete story.
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 06, 2002 11:24      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a master plan: use diet and exercise to extend my life span to the point where medical technology can extend my life indefinitely.

This news makes me happy. I know that sequencing my genome isn't going to cure any of the defects in it, and I can't afford $500,000 anyways. But it's another tiny step towards immortality. Yay biotechnology!

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2002 08:37      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Immortality is a bad idea. Would you want to have your parents nag you forever?

I try to live by two mottos
No guts, no glory
Life is too short to drink cheap wine
Neither is going to help me see the 22nd century.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 7 posted October 07, 2002 10:04            Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't you want to do this just so you could put the resulting CD in your CD player and listen for any hidden messages? Maybe play it backwards? [Big Grin]
IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2002 16:19      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah you might find the question to the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2002 16:27      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or find satanic messages like Madonna Cds

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2002 11:24      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents don't nag me anymore. I'm old enough that I nag them.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2002 14:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only person here who finds the idea of physically living forever frightening? Beyond thefact our biosphere can't support an immortal population forever is...forever. Beyond the death of the Sun. Beyond the energy death of the Universe. Do you really want to live to see everything else die? You might gain great wisdom, but who could you share it with?

I'd prefer to "live forever" through something I accomplished, like a discovery I made or book I wrote. My body can go ahead and die. Not any time soon, I hope. Like quantumfluff, I tend to go by the "no guts no glory" approach. So far I've consistently walked away, but that could change.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2002 19:14      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oy, I find the idea of living forever repugnant. I revel in the joys of the novel. A world where every day is not filled with new wonders is not a world I want to live in.
500 years is good enough for me.

Coffee_geek

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2002 10:21      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My motto: "every death a wanted death". Perhaps after 500 years I'll want to discorporate. Or perhaps not. That's why I said "indefinitely" and not "forever".

I want it to be my choice, not forced on me by cancer or heart failure or a thousand other gotchas.

I also assume that if I have the means for immortality, lots of other people also will, so that I won't be alone.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2002 17:17      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm... call me crazy, but can the entire human genome even fit on one CD? I mean, a DVD sure, but a itty bitty 650MB CD?
Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2002 17:35      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orbhead:
Uhm... call me crazy, but can the entire human genome even fit on one CD? I mean, a DVD sure, but a itty bitty 650MB CD?

That's what the article said.
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 11, 2002 02:14      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The human genome has roughly 3 x 10^9 DNA base pairs. There are four types of DNA base (A, C, G and T) so you need two binary bits to specify each one... 6 x 10^9 bits of information = 750 MB. Apply a little data compression and it'd just fit nicely on a CD.

I think the idea is pie in the sky for now... the guy in question (Craig Venter) is a notorious self-publicist. Anyway we don't have a clue what the vast majority of our DNA means, so there'd be precious little point in knowing your own genome. Plus your life/health insurance companies would undoubtedly insist on having a copy so that they could load your premiums for all the 'genetic risks' they could think of, most of them probably unjustified by the actual state of genetic knowledge (e.g. "genes for" alcoholism, sexuality etc...)

Hmmm... all your base pair are belong to us? [Wink]

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2002 02:42      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nekomatic:
... Hmmm... all your base pair are belong to us? [Wink]

Ha! Do you suspect there may be a gene for naff gags? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2002 02:46      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you wouldnt need to compress it even... regular cds have a lot of layers of data that arent used(total layers are 8 i think and only 2 are used..) they've started making burners that could use the other layers..

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 13, 2002 03:08      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Immortality is a bad idea. Would you want to have your parents nag you forever?

I try to live by two mottos
No guts, no glory
Life is too short to drink cheap wine
Neither is going to help me see the 22nd century.

WTF [Confused]
what does that have to do with immortality?!

Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2002 19:53      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My three statments have everything to do with imortality.
1. If we all lived forever you would never be the elder person in your family at some point.

2. The other two statements are about living life to it's fullest so that, were you do to something stupid and go out in a blaze of glory, you would still no that you had lived. Have you ever heard the American Indian expression "Today is a good day to die"? The trick is to not fear death, but live life to it's fullest so that you would not regret ending it early. Imortality screws that up.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
technosquirrel 101
Geek
Member # 1738

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 04:06      Profile for technosquirrel 101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
yeah you might find the question to the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything

hell, yeah, or you might risk a look into the vortex! [Eek!]

anyway, what's the point in burning your gene pattern onto a CD? do you see the faint hope of being cloned to live forever? then i'd rather suggest trying to transfer your brainwaves into a computer. (this way you don't need a new body every let's say 80 years...lol)

--------------------
...this post was brought to you by technosquirrel 101. - "who said i had a plan?"

Posts: 142 | From: the "XMS Memory", cabin 934, C-Deck | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanoxt R'rilander
Alpha Geek
Member # 890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 09:10      Profile for Xanoxt R'rilander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, then you could play frisbee with your own copy of your geneinfo. CD's shatter so cool when they hit the walls. So do vinyls but they are no longer in style (that is they are to prescious to be hurled against walls)

--------------------
quote:
"Who like KOF official license comic in high quality vegetarian is absolutely will not be miss!"
Ah, joys of Engrish...

Posts: 319 | From: Moscow, Russia, Earth | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture