homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Why the New iMacs Will Be Successful No Matter What They Look Like

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why the New iMacs Will Be Successful No Matter What They Look Like
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted January 13, 2002 13:49      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20020110.html

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
sniper
Mini Geek
Member # 904

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2002 15:10      Profile for sniper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that is very interesting. while most of the conclusions made were fair, two things struck me:

he criticizes steve for not wanting to win, but being comfortable being a small company. in the recent times magazine article, steve gave some insight into his plan. he says he's relying on apple's loyal users to get them through the next decade or so. by then, the windoze clones will have killed eachother with their constant price wars. at that time, apple can win.

also, he says the "new new imacs" are overpriced. this is not true. one year ago, the same capabilities of the new imac would have cost $4500. apple managed to slash $2700 off the product in a mere twelve months. this comes back to the misconception that macs are expensive. apple doesn't make low power computers. people can get a pentium 4 1.5 ghz peecee from dell for aboot $1000. or they could get a g4 700 mhz imac (with a flat screen display) for $1300. and apple is the company charging too much?

------------------
may the force be with you

Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 16, 2002 16:07      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good article. The guy gets it, it provides an interesting insight into the goals of man. If you skipped the article to read the responses, go back and read it.

No, I'm serious....

Kevin
--
Why haven't you gone back and read it yet?

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2002 13:51      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kevin makes a good point. it is a very interesting article.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2002 08:49      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it! I think that idea of Steve "snubbing" Bill is pretty cool, but there is one big problem here: I really, really, really would've wanted to have read that article! It wouldn't be Infamous I'm sure, but certianly interesting.
Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2002 18:48      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this article is awesome. It made some good points as well. I sugest anyone who has not read it should.
nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture