homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » R.I.P. Dave Thomas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: R.I.P. Dave Thomas
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2002 20:18      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we are with a flaming thread about a dog, meanwhile Dave Thomas died on Jan. 8 and I just found out about it; a few days before this I saw some Flash-medium "tributes" to him, but I thought they were just for being silly (that happens a quite lot).

http://www.wendys.com

I don't know much about him personally, but he always liked him. The real problem that Wendy's is having how seems to be with thier ads that did help make Wendy's successful. Maybe it's time to call Tim Horton?

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted January 12, 2002 22:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too was saddened by news of his passing, although I don't really know why. I guess he really did just seem like a nice guy, and his work with his adopted kids charity helped too I suppose.

OT: Unfortunately Tim Horton has also left us. Here's some info on the Canadian hockey legend.

here too:
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/wentworth/timhorto.htm

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 9 posted January 13, 2002 10:35      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wendy's will never be the same. KFC went down hill after the colonel died. The last time I went to a KFC the choices were greasy, extragreasy, and skinless in BBQ sauce. I am exagerrating of course, but I feel that Wendy's will see the same decline with the passing of Dave. Without the main man to watch over things, the people who take over will surely run things into the ground. I think I will miss the commercials too. In My childhood, when someone asked "Where's the beef?", We sould simply reply "between Wendy's buns." We'll miss you Dave >;o( .........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2002 12:46      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a big fan, but Wensy's is one of the few fastfood places where a veggy can actually get something to eat in a pinch (salad and a baked potato).
Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted January 13, 2002 13:53      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This raises two questions:

1. When you walk into a Wendy's and offer your condolances, what percentage of the employees will know what you are talking about?

2. Who will be the new mascot?

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2002 17:47      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A dog will be the new mascot...
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2002 19:20      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In honor of Dave's passing, until Feb 8, all french fries will be served at half-mast
Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2002 20:39      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am saddened by this tragedy. Dave Thomas was like the geeky father I never had. I mean those are classic bifocals if I ever did see them. In true geek fasion he also kept working the front counter of his resturants(At leaste in adds.) This is a true loss to all americans for like every other company that had its founder involved to the end it will probably slide down hill in an ever widening spiral of death and nasty food.

In all honesty I offer my commiseration to the whole of the Thomas family. *

*For those with small vocabularies, a topic covered already, this means my condolences.

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture