homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Buddy, RIP (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Buddy, RIP
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted January 03, 2002 13:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

CHAPPAQUA, New York (CNN) -- Former President Bill Clinton's dog Buddy was killed Wednesday by a passing car outside the family's Westchester County, New York, home.

The former "first dog" was struck at about 12:15 p.m. on Route 117, a busy two-lane street close to the Clintons' home on Old House Lane in Chappaqua.

According to police, Buddy was struck by a vehicle driven by a 17-year-old girl after "playfully chasing a contractor" who had just left the residence.
-------

Heh, the girl was playfully chasing the contractor?

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/01/03/buddy.killed/index.html

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 13 posted January 03, 2002 17:56      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed how quickly the Clintons used this to their advantage to get back in the spotlight. I don't see how they can be deeply saddened by a dog they never see except for photo ops. They probably hired someone to make the dog run loose in hopes something would happen. They are such opportunists..........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted January 03, 2002 19:04      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will the flag be flown at half-mast? Will buddy have a state funneral? Where will he be buried? Where was the SS? Why? Huh? Chasing a contractor? Sure, we all chase contractors every now and then, but...

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 21:02      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Irresponsible pet ownership--but then again, look at whom we're talking about!

Sorry, I have two dogs, they're like children to me, and I like to think I take very good care of my dogs. They're well-behaved and pretty good-natured, but I always keep them on a leash during their walks and my yard is fenced in for their protection. But they are never allowed the opportunity to run into traffic.

I feel sorry for Buddy--and I hope his owner gets cited for not obeying leash/animal control laws!

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted January 04, 2002 05:29      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last chocolate lab I knew that was struck by a car (luckily, he survived) was owned by an irresponsible, constantly drunk, college student. Sounds kinda like Bill, eh?
Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Petethelate
Uber Geek
Member # 302

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted January 04, 2002 10:10      Profile for Petethelate   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arggh.

Last night, Julie and I teamed up to feed Naughty Mary her dinner. She's got a bad back, so we lace it with baby aspirin, but she still eats her food one fingerfull at a time (and it has to be Momma's finger...).

This morning, Knight had a seizure and we had to give him Karo syrup until he came out of it.

And the Clintons let their dog run loose? No further comment.

Ptl

Posts: 864 | From: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 8 posted January 04, 2002 14:50      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hell, i feel sorry for the dog, not only for the death, but for having to live with *them* the whole time..

just like the rest of you have been saying - look who the family is, and make a (justified) judgment from that

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2002 18:28      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, at least his dog is happy now...
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 05, 2002 20:41      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was Buddy the first, First Dog?
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2002 21:04      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:

Nope. Lots of presidents have had dogs.

I don't know when the term "First Dog" came into being, though. I think it was a recent media invention.

JainDough
Geek
Member # 950

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2002 21:07      Profile for JainDough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

nope, Nixon had a dog too (not sure if s/he was the first, first dog)

------------------
hell is other people -Jean Paul Sartre

Posts: 148 | From: united states | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
JainDough
Geek
Member # 950

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2002 21:10      Profile for JainDough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! you beat me by 3 seconds, Lifetime Trekker

------------------
hell is other people -Jean Paul Sartre

Posts: 148 | From: united states | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2002 23:48      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JainDough:
Bah! you beat me by 3 seconds, Lifetime Trekker

Next time you can beat me...but bring your own whip!

joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 06, 2002 12:25      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like poetic justice to me, seeing how the Clintions just gave away Socks to someone else after moving out of the W-House, after all those years together!
Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2002 16:45      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to have heard/read that this is not the first dog Clinton had to be hit by a car.

Honestly, if you are going to adopt a pet, you must take care of it.

joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 06, 2002 18:00      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

O how fickle is fame... so quickly was Millie forgotten...

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2002 20:59            Edit/Delete Post 
Curious.

A dog is killed.

People accuse the Clintons of a PR profit on the news, and not paying attention to the real issue.

The people do so in posts where they can barely contain their dislike for the Clintons.

A dog died... and people played politics while accusing others of the same. How sad.

I hope the dog didnt suffer.

IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2002 21:08      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No matter what someone's personal feelings about the Clintons are, they are still family that lost a pet. If anything happened to either of mine, I know I would be heart broken. I would imagine they feel the same way.

------------------
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 5 posted January 07, 2002 17:50      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a neglected dog. Many dogs are killed every day and I don't see anyone grabbing headlines for them. I believe the dog was purposely let into the road. If it were My dog I might have a shred of sadness, but it is not. The dog was a tool and nothing else. The only sadness I have for the creature is that it had to endure being the Clinton's gimmick........Z
Miles
Mini Geek
Member # 790

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted January 07, 2002 20:05      Profile for Miles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not in the practice of engaging in flame wars but... this post

quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:
I noticed how quickly the Clintons used this to their advantage to get back in the spotlight. I don't see how they can be deeply saddened by a dog they never see except for photo ops. They probably hired someone to make the dog run loose in hopes something would happen. They are such opportunists..........Z

is totally lame and bogus and unwarrented. Gosh, who would kick a guy when his dog is down??

WHATEVER

Posts: 98 | From: Columbus, OH, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geekatrix
Geek
Member # 826

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted January 08, 2002 07:53      Profile for Geekatrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't enough information in the article to make a call on whether Buddy was neglected or ill-cared for, or whether the Clintons tried to get lots of publicity from it.

In the first case, we don't know if Buddy was running loose in a unfenced yard (as some people on this forum seem to think), or whether he slipped out of the house/yard when the contractor was arriving or leaving (which would be especially plausible if the contractor was taking building supplies and equipment in or out of the house). All we know is that somehow Buddy got out into the street.

In the second case, this is the kind of human interest (dog interest?) story that the news media like to make a big deal of. Celebrity pet stories attract readers/viewers, so they get column space/air time. The Clintons could have called in their publicist to make sure the story got maximum press, but it's certain that the major news services have news scouts specifically assigned to keep tabs on the Clintons and report anything that might be pressworthy.

It seems to me that certain avid Clinton Haters on this forum are just taking advantage of what should be a minor news item of little consequence in order to bash their least favorite former president .

Posts: 154 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2002 13:04      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by joliet_jane:
... so quickly was Millie forgotten...

can't forget fala, either. he's got his own little statue in the theodore roosevelt memorial in d.c....

ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 6 posted January 08, 2002 15:04      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miles:
I am not in the practice of engaging in flame wars but... this post

is totally lame and bogus and unwarrented. Gosh, who would kick a guy when his dog is down??

WHATEVER

I would, but of course, I am a sadist >;o)..........Z

ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2002 15:06      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geekatrix:
There isn't enough information in the article to make a call on whether Buddy was neglected or ill-cared for, or whether the Clintons tried to get lots of publicity from it.

In the first case, we don't know if Buddy was running loose in a unfenced yard (as some people on this forum seem to think), or whether he slipped out of the house/yard when the contractor was arriving or leaving (which would be especially plausible if the contractor was taking building supplies and equipment in or out of the house). All we know is that somehow Buddy got out into the street.

In the second case, this is the kind of human interest (dog interest?) story that the news media like to make a big deal of. Celebrity pet stories attract readers/viewers, so they get column space/air time. The Clintons could have called in their publicist to make sure the story got maximum press, but it's certain that the major news services have news scouts specifically assigned to keep tabs on the Clintons and report anything that might be pressworthy.

It seems to me that certain avid Clinton Haters on this forum are just taking advantage of what should be a minor news item of little consequence in order to bash their least favorite former president .

Actually they were quoted in a press conference as being deeply saddened. Though I can understand Bill might be sad, I doubt that either of them were deeply saddened. Either way, I think it got way too much press.......Z

Geekatrix
Geek
Member # 826

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2002 15:55      Profile for Geekatrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:
Actually they were quoted in a press conference as being deeply saddened. Though I can understand Bill might be sad, I doubt that either of them were deeply saddened. Either way, I think it got way too much press.......Z

If you have actually gathered enough real information about the Clintons and their relationship with their late dog to be able to substantiate the kinds of remarks you've been making on this thread, you are officially a Really Sad Human Being. Really. It seems much more plausible (Occam's Razor and all that) that you simply loooooooooove bashing the Clintons.

I can't make an informed judgement on whether Buddy's death got too much press coverage because I carefully steer clear of "news" sources that cover that sort of thing. I'm sure if you really objected to news coverage of former presidents' recently deceased pets, you would find ways to keep up with current events without exposing yourself to that kind of sensationalism.

Posts: 154 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture