homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What you did New Year's Eve (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What you did New Year's Eve
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2002 00:31      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what did everyone do for New Year's Eve?

I was invited to a friend's house and us guys ended up having a 6 hour LAN session playing Unreal on our 3 Macs while the gals watched Moulin Rouge and TLC.

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
homesalad
Geek
Member # 938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2002 08:02      Profile for homesalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
designated driver.

nuff said.

Posts: 220 | From: On The Road... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2002 11:41      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...

Worked with the band at a New Year's / Birthday Party (I guess the guy shares a b-day with Roceal).

On the geek humor side, I called my friend in California and wished her Happy New Year from "the Future" (via anwering machine).

--bd

"The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2002 11:55      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
went to a "party," if you could call a gathering of nine people watching the entire series of "aeon flux" and eating cold pizza all night long. we didn't even realize when the clock turned twelve, everyone was too wrapped up in the show. :P
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted January 01, 2002 18:19      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am having trouble remembering yesterday, but I did hear rumors ...............Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2002 18:19      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing as every year - virgin sacrifice at the stroke of midnight.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Raptorgirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2002 18:53            Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Lou took me to a party at his friends' house. Little did I know that most of his friends were swinger types. I witnessed some truly bizarre acts over the course of the evening, and even got pictures of a couple (the body shots were especially hilarious). I used to think I was twisted. Now I know that I'm *perfectly* normal. No, really!
IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2002 20:57      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at midnight I was trying to get a hold of my landlord to procure the key to the basement so that I could change the fuse I just blew.

I hope that isn't an indicator of what the upcoming year is going to be like.

------------------
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2002 05:47      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I went over to some of my friends' place (the ones of whom I am the Godfather to their new daughter) with a few others from our gaming club.

Well I had waaaaay too much to eat, and we ended up playing stupid card games and watching Weird Al videos.
Oh yes, long discussions about 3rd Ed and DAoC.

As I no longer drink, I realised what fools people make of themselves on New Year's.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
zooz
Discontinued

Icon 8 posted January 02, 2002 13:37            Edit/Delete Post 
At around 12:00 midnight, I was adding a command
to load Skunny Kart to my Markmenu program. I paused
to listen to the cheering, people lighting
fire crackers and even a few people firing
their guns into the air (a real hazard
scince a bullet comming down has around the
same amount of force as being shot from the
gun). Police in Southern California, have been cracking dowen on this
for some time). After the noise settled, I
returned to my computer and finished the task.

IP: Logged
Roceal
Geek
Member # 878

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2002 13:54      Profile for Roceal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the Fellowship of the Ring with my s.o., my parents and several good friends.

Posts: 159 | From: That place, you know, with the thing | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2002 18:16      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I built another computer.
Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2002 19:13      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stayed up untill 11:30 watching "Telemundo!" (I have a theory that if you watch it long enough, you'll pick up the language). Then I sat in my bed reading "Fellowship of the Ring" (better to look for inconsitencies between the movie and the book AFTER you see the movie, as my brother learned with Harry Potter) untill 12:45, said "Damn, I missed it" and went to sleep.

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted January 03, 2002 05:31      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
got root on my computer

plus two 12oz alcoholic beverages.

(Mac OS X ..... working next morning.... )

------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 06:30      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Same thing as every year - virgin sacrifice at the stroke of midnight.

QF, did you have to import one?

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 06:37      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:
QF, did you have to import one?

They are getting harder to find each year. <shields up>What's worse is that so many you do find are not much of a sacrifice.</shields down>

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted January 03, 2002 06:47      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
went to a party in philly,had drinks etc., stayed up until 3 am, slept until 11 am, went home and watched The Hobbit DVD, fell back asleep on the couch.
Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 06:50      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theJacob:
I stayed up untill 11:30 watching "Telemundo!" (I have a theory that if you watch it long enough, you'll pick up the language).

My roommates and I used to watch that constantly in college, especially "Sabado Gigante" (Giant Saturday), the king of all kooky variety shows. Didn't understand most of it, but it never really seemed to matter.

theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 19:09      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by trowelblister:
My roommates and I used to watch that constantly in college, especially "Sabado Gigante" (Giant Saturday), the king of all kooky variety shows. Didn't understand most of it, but it never really seemed to matter.

Yah. This one show I was watching had maybe seven different plot lines, each with 2-6 charecters, and they never crossed over or interacted with each other in any way. It's as if they had seven different shows and did not have enough material to make a full show out of any of them.

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2002 05:33      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theJacob:
Yah. This one show I was watching had maybe seven different plot lines, each with 2-6 charecters, and they never crossed over or interacted with each other in any way. It's as if they had seven different shows and did not have enough material to make a full show out of any of them.

Did you ever see the bits with the guy in the red fly suit? My friends swore for weeks that I hallucinated him, until they witnessed the glory of the fly guy (who has to be the inspiration for Bumblebee Guy on The Simpsons).

LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2002 06:36      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed a washer and dryer (drier? It's too early in the morning, I think) ande rearranged my living room.

No, wait, that was New Year's Day. New Year's Eve I worked. I try not to pass up double-time and a half!

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2002 20:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in New Orleans with a cute girl. The weather was really cold and rainy, however, so we stayed in the hotel room and watched TV and stuff.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted January 05, 2002 09:28      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was typing an email on my computer and almost missed it, so I went downstairs and flipped on the tv for like 1 minute and then said happy new year to myself. After that, I went back to my computer and finished the Email.

(FUN)

Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2002 15:54      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ate tons of food, played computer games, watched "Ten things I hate about you", socialized and generally had a really good time!

------------------
the world will have to end someday; hopefully not while i'm around.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 07, 2002 10:51      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent time recovering from the previous four days plus the drive home.  Instead of going out, I caught up on e-mail and stuff while I waited for sleepiness to come around.  I heard the countdown on the radio at midnight.

And to the one who was partly responsible for me having to recover:  I swear, I'll try to do it back to you real soon now!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture