homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What I Like in a Geek... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What I Like in a Geek...
justelise
Geek Larva
Member # 2338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2003 22:10      Profile for justelise   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like my geeks on the tall and chubby side. Hair is optional. Glasses are sexier than contacts. They should also be good communicators and effective speakers (there are too many geeks that lack verbal skills). Liberal thinkers open to new things, people, places, and experiences are welcome to apply. A penchant for Macs and Linux is a big bonus, but not entirely necessary. I am perfectly capable of running my own "Switch" campaign. *evil wink*

Oh and if they're so compelled to help me with my lacking programming skills... I wouldn't turn away the help. [Smile]

--------------------
Tis folly to be wise where ignorance is bliss.

Posts: 23 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 11, 2003 23:21      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, and thank you for un-lurking!

(If you have just changed nicknames or for some other reason are a normal yokel whom I've overlooked, pretend like I'm crazy and ignore this post [crazy] )

I just caught a wiff of your blog, and I'm convinced that your more likely a fictional nickname designed by some web enemy I'm unaware of as a prank to drive me mad. However, I'm going to play along and pretend that you are indeed a real woman, and turn in my application.

I'm a 6'3" Mac using, gadget loving, glasses wearing, free thinking, Microsoft Hater who's working as an Electronic Technician for the Navy. I'm convinced I'm going to change the world. All I have to do is set myself on the right path, (which right now involves getting out of the Navy when my time is up, taking the college money and a Masters in EE or CS, settling down in Silicon Valley, and making the next big thing). Right now however I'm complacent with being a student of life, seeing what the world is like, and doing the best I can to stay stress free and happy.

Just wanted to let you know that I've seen what you put up on the web, and I liked what I saw (though I didn't really dive through your blog, something just seems creepy about getting to know too many things about a person without even talking to them). And that I would love to chat with you.

I hope I don't sound like too much of a wierdo, but it's not a normal occurance that I find a person who's so like minded (on the surface at least). Todays world is awash in Females who are content with looking and acting like they are told to, and almost barren of free thinkers (in my limited experiences so far)... Perhaps I could teach you the wonders of Cocoa, Project Builder, and the Apple Dev Kit in exchange for proof that there's intelligent life where women come from. [Big Grin]

Kevin

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 01:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by justelise:
I like my geeks on the tall and chubby side. Hair is optional. Glasses are sexier than contacts. They should also be good communicators and effective speakers (there are too many geeks that lack verbal skills). Liberal thinkers open to new things, people, places, and experiences are welcome to apply. A penchant for Macs and Linux is a big bonus, but not entirely necessary. I am perfectly capable of running my own "Switch" campaign. *evil wink*

Oh and if they're so compelled to help me with my lacking programming skills... I wouldn't turn away the help. [Smile]

Wouldn't you know it.

I'm your dream-geek, but I'm taken.

[shake head]

Never mind, there's plenty of other geeks in the C

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 08:15      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unfourtunatly I meet precious few of your requirements. hrmmm lets see I wear glasses 8-) I am 6'1 and weigh only 160lbs so I am skinny (you could count my ribs at 100 meters without binoculars) I don't know anything about macs other than they are a dream to edit pictures on. I have no clue about *nix systems at all. Although I hope to learn more in the coming year. I know only a little C++ and some HTML and the smallest amount of java script. I do know how to speak but am not often called a geek or dork or nerd or whatever so most people think I am actualy "one of the cool people" although those people don't realy talk to me because I am not cool enough for them. heh heh ohh well so goes life eh? beside "uncool" people are much more fun to hang around with.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 14:28      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, thanks for the acurate description of myself. [Smile] I must be your dream geek except I can't help you with your programming, sorry. I used to use OS 9, but now I use Linux (and Windows at work [Frown] ). I love public speaking, any chance to speak in front of a crowd. Whoo.. gives me chills just thinking about it; quick, someone find me a microphone! [Smile]

Oh yes, and of coruse, welcome to the forums! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 15:45      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now guys... let's be gentle...

justelise is new to the crowd... let's not go all Spungo on her... [Wink] Just let her ease into the groove [Wink]

Oh, and welcome! [Big Grin]

=DB

... also in the profile, but quiet about it...

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
justelise
Geek Larva
Member # 2338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 15:48      Profile for justelise   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DigitalBill, you're my hero! *MovieSmooch*

I'm not used to this kind of attention being a short chubby geeky chick and all. Please take it slow with me. [Wink]

--------------------

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 16:02      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are all excited, because geekettes who like computers and guys who mach the classical definition of geek is rare... arround her they don't stay single long.

I suppose I should say "hi" on behalf of me, and sky since she hasn't gotten arround to it (she typically posts a "hi, welcome" sorta message at every new geeky member she runs across).

Digital Bill, you do understand why they are so exited, but comparing them to... to ... That's just mean. I suppose it was nice of you to appologize for their over-zest.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 12, 2003 16:07      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a "hi, welcome" sorta message...

Ooops, GM just beat me to it... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 16:52      Profile for TonyRad         Edit/Delete Post 
HI!!! Welcome to this groovy place. Umm.. You know.. normally I have a lot of different things to say to welcome new people but I think the previous posts beat anything I can think of... You being a single geekette here will get plenty of attention... The best is yet to come.... [Smile]

Tony Rad

magebard
Geek
Member # 1266

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 17:31      Profile for magebard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, and good luck.

--------------------
"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks." - Winston Churchill

Posts: 116 | From: vancouver, bc, canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 20:36      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the GC justelise! I hope you enjoy your time here.

As far as what you look for in a geek I think you have come to the right place as there are quite a few who fit your tastes in some fashion. In addition, as mentioned earlier, you have interests which are less common thus you may cause some excitement. While true, I am sure any geeks here who are interested will take the time to get to know you properly. (You're worth it! [Smile] )

May your posts be many and may the stars sparkle upon thy posts.

-Shadow

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 21:31      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
GameMaster:
Digital Bill, you do understand why they are so exited, but comparing them to... to ... That's just mean. I suppose it was nice of you to appologize for their over-zest.

Well, maybe that was a little over the top... but I've been away [Wink]

quote:
justelise:
DigitalBill, you're my hero! *MovieSmooch*

I'm not used to this kind of attention being a short chubby geeky chick and all. Please take it slow with me.

/me polishes my armor...

=db

...Fins to the left... fins to the right...

--------------------

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 13, 2003 22:06      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
/me also knows how to kill a thread, apparently....

=DB

watches the tubleweeds roll by...

--------------------

justelise
Geek Larva
Member # 2338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2003 07:21      Profile for justelise   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow you clicked "Add Reply" and the crickets started to chirp. Impressive. Most impressive.

I haven't exactly jumped back in the fray either.. but I was just waiting for the excitement to end. I'm not much for a crowd.

--------------------

FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2003 11:02      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh crowds. That is when you have to keep clicking join server when it is full. I love counterstrike but some of the servers are too busy. They should just let me in all the time.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
justelise
Geek Larva
Member # 2338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2003 16:59      Profile for justelise   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah.. I'd like to add an addendum to my description of the perfect geeky man. A major bonus point would be someone who's into cars/car mods. I've had this strange obsession with K.I.T.T. from Knight RIder since I was little and I've always wanted to buy a Firebird and mod the hell out of it to be more K.I.T.T. like.

I know that's horribly geeky of me, but I can't help it. I've been a geek chick since I was little.

Maybe I should go for Yoshi from TSS? [Smile] He's looking very fly these days. As of today he's lost 78lbs.

--------------------

schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2003 19:09      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
like cars eh? be sure to ask MacManKrisK about his volkswagen. [Smile]
welcome to the forums, by the way!

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 15, 2003 22:33      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I adore cars. I actually found a site that has all of the stuff needed to make KITT. It would cost about $2K for a fully working kit.

Well, as working as the model was, anyhow [Smile]

But considering that we're all rather weird, I bet all of the buttons would do something cooooool [Smile]

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2003 23:13      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Knight Industries Two Thousand was a cool car... [Smile]

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 16, 2003 05:36      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm, I dont think I've ever even looked in this topic on the forum!

Well hmmm, I'm not wuite upto justelise's physical specs (shorter, thinner), but I have glasses I can communicate by generating comppression waves through the loose medium we call "atmosphere" (when I need to), I'm also willing to try any thing once, maybe.
hmm, As for non-MS, I'm all for it, but MAC OS keeps me away from their great hardware. I'm more of a hardware(interface with software) than I am a software(interface with hardware) kind of guy, but I know the basics of programming.
Hmmm, thats about it except for the fact that I say "hmmm" ALOT

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
magebard
Geek
Member # 1266

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2003 18:32      Profile for magebard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
justelise, I noticed you didn't religion or politics or age, yet those are usually major discriminating factors. Location can be an issue as well, unless you're looking for a long-distance relationship.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2003 18:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by magebard:
justelise, I noticed you didn't religion or politics or age, yet those are usually major discriminating factors. Location can be an issue as well, unless you're looking for a long-distance relationship.

Let me pose a silly question - how many people are *looking* for a long distance relationship - it's more my understanding that they *find* you. I'm not knocking them at all (happily in one), just a bit surprised.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
magebard
Geek
Member # 1266

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2003 19:39      Profile for magebard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dragonman97, my point was that distance is a bigger factor for some people than others. I treat LDRs seriously, but I've found many who don't, so I felt the question needed to be asked. People online have feelings just as much as those offline.

--------------------
"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks." - Winston Churchill

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2003 19:48            Edit/Delete Post 
People online have feelings just as much as those offline.
Exactly...

Also noting that the person behind an AIM or ICQ screenname or IRC nick is a real person, not a bot or playtoy, yet it seems like people really can forget the significance of that in communication. And even when there is no active communication, when the other person is not around, you can still send an e-mail or leave an offline message (except w/ AIM) - they are still out there...

Anyhow, end of interruption - back to the topic at hand...

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture