homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » long hair (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: long hair
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2002 06:51      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol rockwolf... I feel your pain
Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 17, 2002 11:27      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been growing my hair out for about a year and a half, just to see how I look with it.  Opinions vary.  OTOH, dragon34 sounds like somebody who'd catch my eye and keep it all the way across the room (oof! optic nerve HURTS!)
quote:
Originally posted by rockwolf:
Maybe it's not hair that attracts me at all, but a really nice tookus.

The word is "tuchus".  (It's Yiddish.)

DUCT TAPE
Geek
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2002 11:40      Profile for DUCT TAPE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've never been a big fan of long hair on guys. i like it when they have nice thick hair, but not long hair. i like my hair longer because then i can play with it.
Posts: 120 | From: under the frozen land of snow and ice | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
TechnoGram
Alpha Geek
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2002 12:32      Profile for TechnoGram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:
Originally posted by rockwolf:
Maybe it's not hair that attracts me at all, but a really nice tookus.

The word is "tuchus".  It's Yiddish.)

right, but i bet rockwolf can't pronounce the 'ch' as it's pronounced in yiddish. so it comes out tukus, which is better than if it were like 'ch' in 'chair'. btw, i have cousins that can't pronounce the yiddish 'ch' either -- instead of 'chani' they say 'connie'.

------------------
.--. .-. --- - ---

Posts: 250 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
donnab
Mini Geek
Member # 1092

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2002 15:50      Profile for donnab         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DUCT TAPE:
why do guys love long hair? it is something i shall never understand. i once had some male friends lecture me on not cutting my hair. i mean really what is it with the hair?

I think people should just wear their hair any way they want to, and if other people don't like it, too bad. They don't have to look.

I like my hair long, and I'm over 40, so if people don't like that - too bad.

------------------
Donna

ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted March 18, 2002 14:59      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TechnoGram:
lmao

oh, i love it -- uncle zorro with pink ribbons in his hair...

your nieces sound great z, how old are they?

edit: i think you should ask them to do it again, and then post a picture. you don't have to go out of the house or anything, just post it here where millions of websters can see it.

one is 17, the other just turned 13 or 14. I gave her a keyboard with lotsa great sound effects so she can annoy My brother. I think there is a picture around somewhere of the ribbons, but I'm not sure who ended up with them..........Z

Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2002 17:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hair is sorta long...midback when wet (ie straight), just a bit past the shoulders when dry (wavy and fluffy). No one touches it though. I think they're afraid. I cut a deal with it a few years ago. I brush and wash my hair and in return my hair lets me tie it up in a pony tail and it sometimes stays in a braid until lunchtime (instead of escaping before I even get out the door). People at work were shoicked once when I came in with it down - it sorta resembles a light brown lion's mane.

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 18, 2002 20:39      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have long hair, too. My family doesn't like me to have that long hair. Except my first old sister who think I look hot. Lot of girls who I know, they think I am so sexy geek guy. Too bad, I plan to cut my hair on the day before my graduate this May.
Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 18, 2002 20:42      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by way, my hair is below my shoulder length
Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2002 22:21      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, yes, long hair on women is most attractive to me, too. In fact, most of my female friends have waist-length-ish hair. Q: Is there a correlation? A: I don't think so, considering I met them all in random ways, and didn't seek them out based on their look.

A couple of these women have recently drastically cut their hair, one for business reasons (?) and one due to cancer. I find that I don't respond any differently to them, though in both cases, they looked better before, IMHO.

In my gig as a lighting director in a club in Boca, I've seen every hairstyle known to man, and it's interesting that the women of long hair seem to attract more attention, most likely for reasons previously mentioned in this thread.

As to guys with long hair: Get over it, it's the 21st Century already. And I know of what I speak. back in the last century, all through the 90's, up till July of '99, I had hair down to the middle of my back. I spent a lot of time and money to make sure it looked good. Then in 99, my friends convinced me to cut it short, which I did, in a kinda standard cut... did that till last summer, and got tired of scheduling the stylist and all, so I bought a razor and shaved it down to #4. In both cases, short, and shorter, people said I looked better, and younger (even though youc an now see all the grey!).

Long hair and ponytails for men is just sooo last century!!

=bd

But I would never tell someone what to do with their hair... it took me a loong time to make the initial cut decision!

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
EddieKatz
Mini Geek
Member # 1004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2002 22:55      Profile for EddieKatz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my hair is extremely thick and straight and light brown/auburn, so i had it long practically all my life. in college, i got tired of only being complimented on my hair, so i cut it all off into a very cute pixie. then i didn't get any compliments, but for some reason, everyone thought i was a lesbian (which i'm not, but my roommate at the time was and no one thought she was gay!) now it's longish again (shoulder length) and my boyfriend loves it, but all i do is wear it up (soooo hot in the summer). and it's so thick i can't even use one of those giant clip things very well. i start grad school this fall and i have a feeling the long hair's days are numbered.
Posts: 52 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
codelphi
Newbie Larva
Member # 1107

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2002 03:31      Profile for codelphi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have shoulder length wavy hair, and although my mother hates it, I haven't found a woman yet who says I should cut it. As fro why I like long hair on women is that first it shows that they take care of themselves. As I found when I decided to grow mine out it takes a bit more work to get ti to look good, and most people look much better when they are actually trying to look good. Also, it usually only comes in one style (although use of hair clips and bands can change the appearance it really doesn't change much) as compared to women with short hair, in which most seem to believe that the amount of hairspray or mousse doesn't matter as long as the desired style is correct, and it kinda gets annoying when they have to constantly make sure they're hair looks the same.
Posts: 6 | From: Salem, OR, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
EddieKatz
Mini Geek
Member # 1004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2002 10:32      Profile for EddieKatz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you know, i don't buy this "it takes longer to maintain so it shows she takes care of herself" argument. i think long hair is easier, in a way (mine, anyway). you don't have to fuss with it too much. throw it back in a pony tail if it's not behaving. i spent so much more time doing my hair when it was short. and i had to get it cut every three weeks or so to make sure it didn't look shaggy and unkempt. whereas, thanks to a good conditioner, i can go for months without getting my hair cut. and i can shower at night and sleep on it wet without too much trouble, while when it was short, i woke up looking like i'd stuck my finger in an electrical socket.

as for guys with long hair, as a general rule, it's just bad. unless you're really the crunchy granola type, it just screams metal head to me, which brings up unpleasant memories from the past. and if it's a mullet (aka hockey hair) i run screaming in the other direction. i don't date anyone with hair longer than mine, or a chest bigger than mine (fat or muscle-y, doesn't matter).

Posts: 52 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted March 19, 2002 15:10      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by iballoondesign:
by way, my hair is below my shoulder length

and how long is your shoulder......Z

Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2002 21:16      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aww, thanks tau

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
MBoprey
Geek
Member # 1205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2002 06:22      Profile for MBoprey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like long hair, I like short hair. I had long hair, I have short hair.

My Poem

------------------
Msb

Posts: 114 | From: In the crevices of my iBook | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MariRumpus
Discontinued

Icon 3 posted March 21, 2002 12:40            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've had long hair, short hair, and everything in between. I am the champion long-hair-grower. it gets down towards my knees, I cut it off and start over. Five years later, it's down to my fanny. I cut it off. And so on, my whole life.

Long hair is *not* harder to take care of. It's far easier. Sleep with it in a braid and it takes less than two minutes to dress it in the morning. Compare that with the twenty-minute hassle of my current crop of short curls.

Long hair does not necessarily make a woman look better. In my case, I have short curls now because I needed hair height to properly frame my face. Long hair really did nothing for the looks of my *face.*

I think guys like long hair because hair is a female secondary sexual characteristic. The more hair, the more desirable. Same deal as the chest measurement. The more of it you have, the more they speak to your chest (or hair) instead of to your face. It's hardwired into the male psyche. They can't do anything about it. I once knew a woman of heroic chest measurement who tired of men speaking to her with their eyes fixed at a point several inches below her chin. One day, she just quit speaking, and when the man looked up at her, she looked down at herself, then back up at him, and announced "I guess they don't speak."

When my hair is long, it's magnificent; extraordinarily thick, healthy, the color of polished walnut. Strangers offered me money for it, a *lot* of money. But I got tired of being identified by my hair instead of by my brain, so I cut it off. Again. And donated it to a children's cancer foundation.

I've been lectured by men who tell me "all women should have long hair" like somehow they have the right to make such a decision for me. I've been followed by complete strangers in grocery stores who "just want to touch it." My husband, God bless him, didn't even notice my last haircut (shoulder-length to short and curly) for three days. He, the total rat, is blessed with the most beautiful curly red hair I have ever seen, even liberally sprinkled with grey as it is.

Even if it is a hassle, I like my current hair. It won't last forever. Sooner or later I'll tire of the stylist bills and let it grow long again. And then it's back to yanking my hair out of a stranger's grip with the phrase "Get your own!"

MariRumpus, from farther upstate NY than anyone knew existed.

IP: Logged
TrygveLode
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1019

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted March 21, 2002 17:35      Profile for TrygveLode   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EddieKatz:
as for guys with long hair, as a general rule, it's just bad. unless you're really the crunchy granola type, it just screams metal head to me, which brings up unpleasant memories from the past. and if it's a mullet (aka hockey hair) i run screaming in the other direction. i don't date anyone with hair longer than mine, or a chest bigger than mine (fat or muscle-y, doesn't matter).

(snif) I guess that's three strikes right off (long-ish hair, been listed under "metal" often enough, and though I don't know your chest size, there aren't too many women who had bigger chests than mine).

I used to have shorter hair, but I'd been dating someone with a strong preference for long hair several years back and have just kept it that way since. I haven't done any formal studies on the matter, but if I had to make a guess based on comments from various women, I'd say that it's about four-to-one in favor of long hair on guys.

------------------
Trygve Lode
www.trygve.com

Posts: 13 | From: a plateau southwest of Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 22, 2002 08:36      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MariRumpus:
Five years later, it's down to my fanny. I cut it off. And so on, my whole life.

Word of warning to all you USians out there, before using a word, check if it means the same thing in proper English as is does in yankspeak.
Quite often in proper English its meaning can be the exact opposite.

I think that we have had this conversation before.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2002 11:33      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Five dictionaries later (two physical, three online), and I've finally found a definition for "fanny" that is not the slang with which I'm familiar. But it's marked as slang (British slang) nonetheless.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=fanny

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
lycaon
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2002 23:39      Profile for lycaon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<nostalgia>I remember when I used to have hair.</nostalgia>

I like shoulder-length hair... and brunettes... with dark mysterious eyes...

But then, I always liked Veronica more than Betty.

FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2002 23:44      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hair is Getting longer. I have been growing it out for about 1.25 years. It is just now all getting to be the same length. I am growing it out for a group called Locks for Love though. The are a group who donate wigs to people who cannot afford wigs but need them due to cancer medications or dieses. I am a guy but I have curly hair and know that there are lots of people that would love my hair so why not give it to them? well I only need 7 more inches and I can whack it back down to a managible size. Actualy I kind of like it long because all I have to do is shake it out and it forms into *ringlets* only not so tight. I don't know what they are called but as long as the hair stays clean it looks good but as soon as it gets dirty it looks terrible. So I think that goes for anyones hair though although I do "albeit maybe a little shalow of me" partial to girls with long hair. It is just a good feature, especialy with red-heads.
Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2002 13:05      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think that long hair is very feminine. I like all types of women, but long hair does really get my attention. When I split up with my wife of 20 years, I decided to let my hair and beard grow because she would never let me. Now I have Van Dyke beard and nearly shoulder length hair. Let me tell ya, chicks love the hair!

It does seem that most of the women that I have been attracted to in the last couple of years have long hair, but the ones that I have actually had relationships with have short hair.

I especially like long hair that is curly. I recently had an infatuation with a latin girl with long curly hair. Unfortunately, she broke my heart.

------------------
The main reason
Santa is so jolly is
because he knows
where all the bad girls
live. -George Carlin
Gra
phicPower-News and
Views for the Graphics
Industry

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2002 14:30      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I see it is like this. Look at a dog, especially one of those dogs with long fur. A long shiny coat means a healthy dog. Why wouldn't it work the same way with humans? A long shiny coat (i.e. hair) means a healthy human. And if you're going to procreate, you want to do it with someone healthy right?
Same reason why guys tend to like large breasts as opposed to small ones. In nature a woman with larger breasts can better feed her babies so they have a better chance of survival.
It's the same reason why we like white teeth - again it's a sign of health.
What else? People who are lean as opposed to people who are fat.
It's all about procreation I tell you, whether we like it or not. At least that's my opinion. Don't kill me if you disagree.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2002 14:52      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by annie:
Don't kill me if you disagree.

over my dead body anything happens to you.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture