homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Bokken

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bokken
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2003 07:49      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I was looking at martial arts site when I found this site: http://www.practice-swords.com . They have some really great things there, and I saw this bokken that they had. 40 inches, made of oak, only 12 dollars. I was wondering, should I buy this? I have always been interested in Japanese weapons, and the bokken is just so cool. However, my friend is telling me that I shouldnt buy it because it's "just a glorified stick". Anyway, I was wondering what you people think.

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2003 11:25      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the one hand, yes, It is very much like a glorified stick. On the other hand, it's only twelve dollars, and has many properties you won't find in the average stick. These things are almost impossible to break, for starters, and their balance is based on an actual Katana. I have two. My friends and I spar whenever we can find time. Great fun!

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2003 14:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$12 for a bokken? Pretty good deal. I'm not sure I'd want to buy it online though. Bokkens, like any weapon, are one of those things you want to swing around before you buy. They come in different weights, and while some prefer the feather-light kind, others prefer war clubs and I like the middle ground.

Yes, it is a glorified stick, but it feels like a real sword without the side effects. If we did practice with real swords, I would be missing both my hands, my intestines, and my head would have been sliced in two quite some time ago. Getting hit with one is still bloody painful though. We train with them in aikido sometimes. Mine lives at the dojo. My dad has a nice walnut one hanging on the wall in our dining room.

You can break a bokken. It is rare, it can happen.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2003 15:45      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, I agree with you, Xanthine. You have to hold the sword before you can buy it. However, there is no way I'll be able to find a shop that will sell me one within 300 miles of my home. This site looks pretty cool though. I think their swords might actually be good quality. However, there's another problem. I don't think I will find a kendo class in the panhandle of texas, so if i buy this thing, I will just sorta play around with it while waiting for the BF 1942 map to download. Also, I haven't really invited friends to my house since we moved in, so I wont be doing much sparring...and if I did invite somebody, they would also need one. Oh, since you guys seem to know a lot about bokken, is it true that the proper way to store them is in an oil bath with the finish sanded off? I read that at this site: www.bokkenshop.com . That site is a real japanese manufacturer's, and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Just looking for another opinion.

--------------------

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2003 21:32      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK... I know nothing of bokken (just boxen [Wink] )... but, I have a semi-related question, since many of you geeks seem to be Knowledgeable in the Ways of Martial Arts...

I've always been interested in Katana, though I've never really looked into them. I've seen several at gun shows and the like, but at the time, my interest was at low ebb...

So the question is: Do you have any good links on where to find decorative katana sets... I'm setting up my apartment, and I think I'd like to have a touch of Japanese design...

Also, any links to the history of Samurai & Katana would be great... (and OF COURSE I know I can google all this... but since you're afficianados, you may have some favorite sites...)

=DB

...insert SHARP comment here...

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2003 03:19      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a lot of the katanas on ebay look fairly nice(relatively cheap too) and since you are looking for the artistic value you need not worry if the swords themselves that they are selling are good. www.e-bogu.com has lots of japanese weapons including katanas

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2003 10:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oil bath?
Yipes! How do you hold the thing?? Sweaty hands are bad enough!

I keep mine in a bag on a rack in a dry place, just like everyone else I know. It seems happy there. As for finish, yes, do sand it off. With the finest grade sandpaper/steel wool you've got. The last thing you want is splinters. The proper "finish" for a bokken is the oils from your hands. Tung oil is also appropriate, and I treated mine with that when I first got it five years ago.

Katanas...someday I will get a katana, but I do not feel worthy yet, so I haven't even bothered surfing or dreaming. Good ones, made by a master are pricey though, and a good blade with a history is priceless. Less great ones, like the practice swords used in iado, are sstill in the triple digit range.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 20, 2003 12:50      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've wasted more money on worse crap before. I say buy it [Wink]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2003 13:18      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a coincidence. Just last night I took my katana back from storage in my mother-in-law's house.
http://66.223.125.24/pictures/katana1.jpg
http://66.223.125.24/pictures/katana2.jpg

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2003 15:30      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
!!! Oh, nice quantumfluff! I wish I could get one of those, but, #1, my parents probably wouldn't let me (and the bokken is the next best thing, so...), and #2, they cost a lot, don't they? But oh well. Those things are great.

--------------------

Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2003 20:46      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Quantum! The only 'real' weapon I have is a cast steel replica cavalry saber. It's alright for Saber practice, 'specially if one is trying to bulid up arm strength (I practice with the hilt (the steel hilt) on. Bloody heavy, all together). 's a shame. Were I to get in an actual fight, my Bokken would probably be more effective... *sigh*.

Your katana, is it sharpened?

Not to digress overmuch, but if you are looking for blades, Museum Replicas Limited has high-quality tempered steel blades (tempered, not cast) that are quite capable of holding an edge (although I don't believe that Museum Replicas is still offering it's sharpening service (only an extra 15 dollars, back in the day) for liability reasons). They have Katanas (rather pricey, but quality katanas) and Wakizashis. Really, what a great website...

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

EDIT: I was just browsing their catalouge and noticed that you can purchace rather nice Katana-cleaning kits with oil and rice paper.

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2003 23:31      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have been asking around, and it seems the common vote is "yes, you fool. buy it!" So...as soon as i find my wallet and figure out how much money is inside, I can, a- buy it, b- mow a lawn and buy it, or c- get a loan from the 'rents. Anyways, it's late, and the bed beckons. See you lata, people. *forgets about bed and sinks into chair. wakes up next morning with a dark red crt tan*
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2003 06:00      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your katana, is it sharpened?
Not razor sharp, but certainly sharp enough to qualify it as an deadly weapon. My in-laws picked it up in Japan around 30 years ago, when liability was not an issue.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture